By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft’s Xbox Division May be Purchased by Amazon

Mr Puggsly said:
Did you guys see the article was updated?

UPDATE: Microsoft Chief of Staff for Devices and Studios Group Aaron Greenberg commented in a quite clear cut way:

Ridiculous, cannot believe people would even believe something like this.

Of course, even if it was true, we couldn’t really expect him or anyone else at Microsoft to confirm it before a deal was signed, as this kind of things are never publicly disclosed beforerhand. That said, we have no reason to disbelieve what Greenberg said, as Dodd himself followed up specifying that it’s just a rumor he heard within the industry and that developers are talking about it, so I’d peg its credibility at a rather low level for the moment, as it’s second hand information.

Yeah, I saw that, and while it's likely they wouldn't be moving this quickly to ditch the Xbox Division, I can't help but reflect on their ability to lie in recent past.

"You can't just flip a switch" - Major Nelson

Easy ammo aside, as the article states, no company would announce such a massive move of assets, before the deal is done.  So, until given more credence, take it with the same amount of certainty as you do any other rumor.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
Interesting. Doesn't sound likely but I would be happy either way.

amazon is very powerful in retail.

awful news for Sony and ninty if true....

Why? It's not like Amazon is going to stop selling the PS4 even if they do buy Xbox. They still sell tablets even though they bought Kindle. 

And I have no idea why Amazon would even want Xbox. Why spend billions on something that makes very little money? They wouldn't even be market leader with Xbox. Just seems pointless to me. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Ssenkahdavic said:

Hit Sony and Nintendo somewhere that MS never really could, at direct retail.  Whenever it was brought up that google/apple was going to buy Sony, I always thought amazon would be there first.

Would be very interesting if true, though unlikely.

That's what everyone said when Amazon brought out the Kindle Fire Tablet. They would hit Apple and the others where it hurts, in retail.

However their approach was very fair and respectable.

I do think Amazon buying Xbox is very unlikely. However with Ballmer now gone from the top position who's to say for sure.

haxxiy said:
Krill said:
Ridiculous 'insider' information (aka lie) by Sony propaganda merchant. Was expecting something like this because of all the positive feedback regarding Titanfall Beta. You can expect CBoat, Thuway or Famousmortimer to spew out more shite when the game actually launches. All I see is fear and epic butt hurt from Sony tards that have missed out due to another Microsoft exclusive.

Now, back to the beta....

Because if it is, you have some issues, mate. It's like they are saying Amazon is buying your wife, or something.

If you attempted to comprehend my post, you would understand I have zero concerns about XBox division being taken over.  The people with issues are the so-called insiders who are actually paid shills and the sheep who believe the crap they come out with, accepting it as gospel. If you fail to see that the usual suspects roll out negativity about the XBox every time some positive news comes out for Microsoft then you are pretty gullible.

Krill said:
haxxiy said:
Krill said:
Ridiculous 'insider' information (aka lie) by Sony propaganda merchant. Was expecting something like this because of all the positive feedback regarding Titanfall Beta. You can expect CBoat, Thuway or Famousmortimer to spew out more shite when the game actually launches. All I see is fear and epic butt hurt from Sony tards that have missed out due to another Microsoft exclusive.

Now, back to the beta....

Because if it is, you have some issues, mate. It's like they are saying Amazon is buying your wife, or something.

If you attempted to comprehend my post, you would understand I have zero concerns about XBox division being taken over.  The people with issues are the so-called insiders who are actually paid shills and the sheep who believe the crap they come out with, accepting it as gospel. If you fail to see that the usual suspects roll out negativity about the XBox every time some positive news comes out for Microsoft then you are pretty gullible.

Edit: Ignore this comment; you were right. Except for the part about famousmortimer being a shill.

Around the Network

that would be awesome, amazon would make the industry go forward and expand so much more than greedy shits microsoft, and it would put even more pressure on sony to make even more greatness. everyone wins if this happens

This thread should be closed. He asked for the gaf thread to be closed as well. Famousmortimer himself denied that the rumor wa true -- it was apparently a joke:

Figgycal said:
Krill said:
haxxiy said:
Krill said:

I don't understand why you think Famousmortimer would lie about this. He doesn't have an agenda and he's for sure not a Sony fanboy if you actually read any of his posts on neogaf. He just happens to know Microsoft insiders and most of what he posts are accurate. It's not his fault that most MS news of the past year were negative. And that's not to say that he's right about this-- because rumors are just that.

That cracked me up, all of it.  I just imagined you saying that with a straight face.

Edit.  Ok, just saw your edit. Agree thread should be closed.

^^Lol which part? See my edit.

walsufnir said:
jmcoo7 said:
Wouldn't surprise me too many voices within Microsoft clamouring for Xbox to be sold, I think MS should stay away from hardware and stick to software.

What? MS always built hardware and they built very good hardware, too. Mice, keyboards, controllers... Webcams. And all were and are really good, in my opinion.

Oh. So maybe Amazon should take on the Xbox while Microsoft makes peripherals for it as you have just implied.