By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your reaction to the Wii U drought?

Soundwave said:

My reaction isn't so much personal, it's more I think the final nail in the Wii U's coffin though.

The system simply can't afford to have two back to back Jan-June seasons ... it just can't. The first year OK, you can forgive it a little bit, but the same problem in the second year is inexcusable.

Even with the Wii this was the time period where Mario Kart Wii, Smash Bros. Brawl, and Wii Fit all launched.

The problem was that it was impossible to predict that HD games would have taken this long to make. It's not like everyone was doing it for an entire generation or anything.

Around the Network

The point most of you guys are missing is that not everyone will buy every single game mentioned. I'm not interested in Bayonetta and X looks horrible to me. Watchdogs will be a non-release as no one is going to buy it at a later date. That leaves me with Donkey Kong and Mario Kart... for the first 9 months of the year probably. Yeah, I'll buy NES Remix 2 and some VC games but that's still a horrible release schedule. At the same time PS4 and Xbox One will be flooded with multi platform games (there'll be the annual crisis in summer when Madden sucks on Nintendo consoles) and the stuff that also gets released on Wii U will look worse.

Basically if you're not a Mario Kart fan there's no reason to buy a Wii U early this year.

Which drought? I still have to complete Deus Ex, Monster Hunter 3, Assassin´s Creed IV, Splinter Cell BlackList and Zelda Wind Waker. And I need to buy WiiPartyU and the latest Lego game

hehehehe.. now, talking seriously, Watch Dogs and Super Smash Bros were supposed to fill up the gap until Mario Kart 8 arrives, but.... Watch Dogs will be delayed and there´s no date for Super Smash Bros yet.... Nintendo should have timed its launches better, they keep losing opportunities to maintain WiiU sales momentum.

Well... at least I personally will have plenty to play until those games come.

UncleScrooge said:
The point most of you guys are missing is that not everyone will buy every single game mentioned. I'm not interested in Bayonetta and X looks horrible to me.

You're joking.... right?

Mystro-Sama said:
UncleScrooge said:
The point most of you guys are missing is that not everyone will buy every single game mentioned. I'm not interested in Bayonetta and X looks horrible to me.

You're joking.... right?

I'm serious. We watched the Nintendo Direct yesterday and when X gameplay came up someone literally said "this must be the most boring thing I've seen in my entire life". It's a game about giant robots... with laser blasters. And screaming protagonists. Yeah.

Stuff like Bayonetta and X looks crazy to most people that are not hardcore gamers - that's why nobody buys those games. I'd rather invite a nice girl over, play some unmanly Wii Sports with her and then... play a bit more. I just don't understand how people can get hyped for a game with giant robots that shoot laser beams.

Around the Network
UncleScrooge said:

I'm serious. We watched the Nintendo Direct yesterday and when X gameplay came up someone literally said "this must be the most boring thing I've seen in my entire life". It's a game about giant robots... with laser blasters. And screaming protagonists. Yeah.

Stuff like Bayonetta and X looks crazy to most people that are not hardcore gamers - that's why nobody buys those games. I'd rather invite a nice girl over, play some unmanly Wii Sports with her and then... play a bit more. I just don't understand how people can get hyped for a game with giant robots that shoot laser beams.

wooooooo woooooooh woooh

I agree with you on Bayonetta, but dont you even dismiss giant robats that shoot fucking laser beems..... or else !!!!

My reaction:

Games may still fall in that gap (but not hopeful), and I need to save monies for baby stuff anyway so it's probably a good thing for me.

And also white hot rage.

UncleScrooge said:
Mystro-Sama said:
UncleScrooge said:

You're joking.... right?

core gamer are a strange species^^   both games will be realy good genre games. mb the best games in the genres in the generation.

nintendo is a core company. the most people will never fully beat 3d world or do 100% in dk. but they make those extra hard lvl for the core gamers.

On a personal level, not that frustrating for me. I game across 3DS, Wii U and 360 and will have plenty to play, and I won't have much time to play because of what I'm up to in my PhD. However, the three month gap between DK and Kart is frustrating because it guarantees Wii U will continue to be a commercial embarrassment for Nintendo.It means fewer people will buy the excellent software on Wii U, and it means Nintendo's reputation will continue to get dragged through the mud. It is very damaging in the long-term. When they launch their new hardware they need the best buzz they can have; they don't need people holding off because Wii U failed and because Nintendo failed to support Wii U when it needed it. Nintendo need to give Wii U the best support they can possibly manage, and right now, they don't seem to be doing that. On that level, it's very disappointing.

Mystro-Sama said:

Sure the direct good but I thought Nintendo had learned from last year's mistake and scheduled their games properly but I guess not. There will be no games after DK for 4 months which is just abysmal honestly.

Thoughts?

While still semi-shitty, admittedly, it's not honestly not the same.

Wii Fit U came out in Jan., DK is coming out in Feb. Jan. and Feb. 2013 had exactly zero releases. MK8 should, I think, come out at LEAST in late April, not late May, but what can you do. There are games, such as The Lego Movie game and Lego: The Hobbit, coming to WIi U in March and April. I still think it would, obviously, be convenient if Nintendo (or someone) had one more notable release in March or April. But it's not a back-breaking issue.

The second half of the year is obviously going to be more release-heavy than the first, again, which, while it would be nice to get more second half titles, is also not surprising, considering most games for any system, even PC, tend to come out in the second half.

So anyone trying to use this as more Nintendoom fuel is a bit off base, I would suggest.

There is still a chance Nintedo could surprise folks with something in Mar./Apr., but even if not, with the release of GBA games, the first of many awesome indie games starting to roll out in March, DK tiding people over, and MK8 being destined to sell no matter what......I think we're in decent shape here.