By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Can Nintendo drastically alter WiiU similar as 2DS did to 3DS?"

Did the 2DS really helped with the 3DS sales ? I really doubt that, we can find the old 3DS model at the same price as the 2DS, plus I haven't seen one with it thus far.

Around the Network

I think instead of people comparing a wiiU gamepad to the 3ds's 3d feature, they should compare it to the 3ds's lack of a second analog stick instead... When the 3ds came out without a second analog stick, people were harping on and on about there was going to be a redesign but what people don't understand if there was a redesign and the new 3ds had a second analog stick, any game that would use that analog stick would not be compatible with the original 3ds unless they bought a circle pad pro which is a bad business idea...

This is the same case with the wiiU, just the opposite way... If they were to get rid of the gamepad, any games that require the gamepad will be unplayable and I know that there are only a handfull of games that require the gamepad but they still require it none the less... And on top of that, developers won't even consider it a viable option then since they don't know who is gonna use the gamepad so why even bother coding for it... It just reaks of a bad business decision imo if they do that

But there should be a cheaper version of the wiiU coming in the future however, not sure how they are gonna do it but I am 90% sure the gamepad will be included

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

I've pitched this idea before (to myself)...

Redesign the console to look like anything else...it really doesn't matter what it looks like. Make it matte finish and black. Call it the Nintendo U and follow this with a HUGE marketing push...

Thats the best you are going to do for now...it solves a few problems and the rest is already set in stone. Everyone knows they wont sell 100mil again. They just need to get to profitability as soon as possible (AKA no price cut!!) and sell as many consoles as they can

It's possible. I have no clue what they would call it.

Can't start a new topic due to too few posts, and sorry if this has been posted (I didn't see any mention). (And sorry for OT but this was the first post that even mentioned the 2DS)

In Finland you can buy a 2DS for 69€ during this weekend at Gigantti's web store! I just bought a new DS Lite (plus game) for 79 euros since my old one has a microphone problem, but I just couldn't resist this offer, bought two of them for my kids! ;)

I still think DS Lite is the best handheld ever (and wasn't going to buy a 3DS for a while), but now I have a chance to reconsider. The thing for DS's favour (until Lite) is that it plays GBA games.

Carpe diem!

Around the Network

I think a cheaper game pad, with a smaller screen, maybe even 3ds sized, could work. It would keep the core functionality but reduce cost.... I don't see any other redesign coming though. The system is already small, and Nintendo actually sacrificed some power to ensure Wii backwards compatibility, so I doubt they would get rid of it.

I think a redesign could be on the cards for this Winter.

They have to keep the pad, but I could see it going smaller (similar dimensions to a vita), redesigning the box, upping the memory and giving it a rename.

Taking out BC does nothing, they can't lose the pad, but they can lose the brand. I actually quite like 'Nintendo U'.

enrageorange said:

I can't really think of much they can do other than making the gamepad a seperate accessory.

The WiiU has basically sealed its fate regarding 3rd party support. And the vast majority of the original Wii audience that wouldn't have cared about that have moved on. So the only people left that are buying the WiiU are hardcore nintendo fans.

The WiiU needs to get cheap enough that people who might not be diehard nintendo fans will buy it as their second console for the Nintendo games. The console needs to get as inexpensive as the gamecube did, $100. And I don't see that ever happening if they don't make the gamepad an optional accessory.

Honestly the gamepad just didn't attract a wide audience like motion controls did. And heck developers themselves have hardly done any immaginitive things with the extra screen. For the most part it's just Remote Play and a menu screen.  Only 10% of Vita/PS4 players use remote play for heavens sake. It is pretty clear they are just throwing away potential sales by forcing people to pay a premium because a gamepad has to be included.

This

You just made me think of something. Nintendo claims that they put out the 2ds because there are children below 7 who want to play 3ds games and they don't want their underdeveloped eyes to be damanged. In my opinion, that was just them trying to save face for realizing the 3d thing wasn't as popular as they thought it would be and their strategy worked (except I'd wager many of the sales came from adults, particularly girls)! 3ds is selling even more now than it did prior to the 2ds.

They could do something similar with the Wii U. They could SAY (to save face of course) that the gamepad for the wii u is too big/complicated for children's hands/minds and they could release a wii u sku without a gamepad for like $100 less and just like the 2ds it would sell a ton to adults (as well as children).

This way they can superboost the wii u sales while saving face!