By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - DF: TitanFall Beta Analysis (792p,~60fps)

Captain_Tom said:
Mr Puggsly said:

"DUH!  What else could be measured?"

And that's the thing, you originally said Titanfall looks like a last gen game. However, the 360 version will not look as polished. The X1 version will likely have the smoother frame rate, sharper textures, better lighting, less pop up, etc.

No, I don't own a PS4 and my PC isn't great. Not that it matters.

Except Titanfall has low textures, resolution, player count, nearly no physics or particle effects, and the framerate can't even keep a solid 60.  See the difference?

So you don't have a PS4 or powerful gaming PC.  So you don't even know the difference.  Hey I'm sure that gif in your signiture makes you feel better about yourself though!

I downloaded the high resolution videos of Titanfall and those textures look pretty sharp. I saw some physics, shadows were more impressive than I expected, the maps seem large and detailed, but I didn't really look for any of those particles.

Is Titanfall the only game that struggles to maintain 60 fps? Last I checked BF4, Tomb Raider, and KZ Shadowfall's multiplayer all go well below 60 fps.

Even if the player count is only 12 players, I feel like you're ignoring the ~38 NPC characters on the map.

Right, I have to own a PS4 or a powerful PC to know and see the difference. That's a great argument and like the smartest thing I've heard ever.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Captain_Tom said:
Mr Puggsly said:

And that's the thing, you originally said Titanfall looks like a last gen game. However, the 360 version will not look as polished. The X1 version will likely have the smoother frame rate, sharper textures, better lighting, less pop up, etc.

Except Titanfall has low textures, resolution, player count, nearly no physics or particle effects, and the framerate can't even keep a solid 60.  See the difference?

So you don't have a PS4 or powerful gaming PC.  So you don't even know the difference.  Hey I'm sure that gif in your signiture makes you feel better about yourself though!

I downloaded the high resolution videos of Titanfall and those textures look pretty sharp. I saw some physics, shadows were more impressive than I expected, the maps seem large and detailed, but I didn't really look for any of those particles.

I'm a high-end PC gamer, the textures are indeed low resolution relative to decent PC games.
It's really no surprise however, it is running the Source engine, so by default they already had that working against them, it's simply old and not what I would consider a next-gen game engine in many regards.

Should it be fun? I don't doubt that one bit, but technical marvel, it is not.
It really does not look any better than an Xbox 360 port in my opinion (And I have had years to put up with those.) they just threw in better textures and few extra effects and called it a day for the Xbox One and PC versions.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I can't imagine the 360 version having maps the same size with the same effects, details, and textures, and keeping it 20fps let alone 60. The gameplay will generally be the same but that's the case for every cross gen game released on either console so far.

Pemalite said:

I'm a high-end PC gamer, the textures are indeed low resolution relative to decent PC games.
It's really no surprise however, it is running the Source engine, so by default they already had that working against them, it's simply old and not what I would consider a next-gen game engine in many regards.

It really does not look any better than an Xbox 360 port in my opinion (And I have had years to put up with those.) they just threw in better textures and few extra effects and called it a day for the Xbox One and PC versions.

I didn't claim its at par with cutting edge PC games. I said they look pretty sharp. I think people often forget how muddy textures often were in 7th gen games. Especially in games with large enviornments to explore.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

J_Allard said:
I can't imagine the 360 version having maps the same size with the same effects, details, and textures, and keeping it 20fps let alone 60. The gameplay will generally be the same but that's the case for every cross gen game released on either console so far.

People are already certain the 360 version is going to essentially the same.

If so, this is shaping up to be the most impressive 7th gen game ever.

Recently Completed

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:

I didn't claim its at par with cutting edge PC games. I said they look pretty sharp. I think people often forget how muddy textures often were in 7th gen games. Especially in games with large enviornments to explore.

Screen shot time!
As you can see, there are some pretty shocking textures.
There is also no Tessellation, despite the Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC fully supporting such technology. (As is evident by the low amount of geometry.)
The backgrounds are all low resolution.
There is also an abundant use of 2D sprites.

As you can tell it is clearly not on par with next-gen.

Wan't some examples of how sharp textures are supposed to look like?

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Screen shot time!
There is also no Tessellation, despite the Xbox 360, Xbox One and PC fully supporting such technology. (As is evident by the low amount of geometry.)

Are you reading what I'm telling you?

I repeat, "I didn't claim its at par with cutting edge PC games. I said they look pretty sharp. I think people often forget how muddy textures often were in 7th gen games. Especially in games with large enviornments to explore."

Are we seeing the final textures yet by the way? I'm not sure if the beta is still using the 25% quality textures.

Recently Completed

Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Captain_Tom said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Well, just from the technical level I also think the game is in any way great or outstanding but after watching several videos they would have to put a lot of effort to make this game look really better because players I saw were *constantly* moving, making it hard to "enjoy" the environment. Fast-paced games always have a hard time to really make the player "feel" the way better graphics. And it really looks like fun!

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Screen shot time!

I repeat, "I didn't claim its at par with cutting edge PC games. I said they look pretty sharp. I think people often forget how muddy textures often were in 7th gen games. Especially in games with large enviornments to explore."

Are we seeing the final textures yet by the way? I'm not sure if the beta is still using the 25% quality textures.

Cutting edge is a stretch, frankly we've had better textures than this in PC games for over a decade.

Mr Puggsly said:
Pemalite said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Screen shot time!

No, you're missing the point.

A large amount of 7th generation console ports on PC actually had fantastic textures even a couple of years ago, they weren't muddy.
This is the comparison point I am trying to make, comparing both on the PC with everything on max.
I couldn't care less about the consoles, they aren't my primary gaming platform.

As for the textures, I'm pretty sure only the Xbox version had the reduced textures, the PC didn't hence why they were compared in the first place.
If you wan't proper, clear and crisp textures, take a look at CGI's PC screenshots thread.
I'll start you off with Metro.
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=145420&page=71#5

Also, don't look past Oblivion (Early Xbox 360/PS3 title), Skyrim, Fallout 3, GTAIV, Crysis, FarCry for open-world games that, once modded and despite being several years old, will put Titanfall to shame, heck, Morrowind even has Tessellation on the PC and that game was released during the PS2 era, Titanfall doesn't even use it.