By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Who Else Thinks a Xbox One Price Cut is coming in March??

They will announce a price drop at E3

Around the Network

I doubt it.

I think MS will wait and see how it stimulate the sales for their system, if they can get away with a couple hundreds of thousands units at 500$ they will.

What they may do at first is a bundle with two controllers and Titanfall (or just the game) for 550 or 560 along with a few months of live gold, since you need to be a gold member to play this game at all... it makes getting into titanfall pretty expensive for someone coming from a different environment (500 + 60 + 60 = 620 + taxes dependgin where you are... between zero and 50$ more, so it's close to 700$ for 1 game... if you have a 360 or PC laying around the incentive will be much lower already, especially if this is the only reason you have to be excited for the XB1).

The xbox one price won't be cut until around the time halo comes out. about a month or two before halo comes out, price will drop by a hundred. March is way too early to be cutting the price. Especially since it isn't doing that bad in sales (at least in America).

fleischr said:
Machiavellian said:
fleischr said:
Machiavellian said:
fleischr said:
Investors don't like it.
Existing XOne owners don't like it.

I think an Xbox 360 price cut is far, far more likely

People that continue to bring the investor part into the mix really show they have no clue about the subject.  These investors have always been there on MS board with no real pull to make any changes within the company because they have less than 1% interest.  These investors are always the ones who are looking to cash and burn for greater dividend on their stocks and care little about long term plans, investment or even position of the company.

There was a push by one large group to get 1% interest in the company and failed, so their words continue to fall on deaf ears.  Hell, there are investors on Sony board that requested them to spin off the PS division, how likely do you think thats going to happen.  People need to stop throwing out the investor part because it has as much weight as a PS fan asking MS to spin off the Xbox division.

By that you mean the board of directors? The board members represent not only their own interests, but those of institutional investors that make up a significant portion of company ownership. That makes up far more than 1% my friend. These are also top-brass in the company -- what they say, do, and think naturally becomes what the rest of the company will say, do, and think. Ballmer was one of the champions of the Xbox brand, but he's no longer CEO.

Yes, I mean the board and yes, the amount of investor that can make any significant change at MS is less than 1% ownership of stocks which means those investors that want to spin off the Xbox division has no voting chance to make it happen.  When have MS moved based on investors whims.  As another person already stated, its the CEO that runs the company so unless there is some significant change in MS, nothing probably will change for the Xbox division.

The people who own the company and lead the company, run the company. Who else do you think runs the company?

Activist investors and board members can make Microsoft sell the Xbox brand if they wanted to bad enough. The business case for it is actually compelling enough for a majority of investors and board of directors to do so. Not saying it will happen, but it's not as unlikely as you might think.

Noticed that I say that the activist do not have anywhere near enough votes to get MS to do anything.  You are going in circles.  They make up less than 1% of the votes needed to make any change within MS.  I really do not know how else to explain that point to you.  Your business case was there for years and nothing has come of it then and nothing has changed now.  There still is not enough pull from those investors to make MS change anything they are doing.

The only thing that will change is if the new CEO deem a change but the fact that he brought back Bill Gates into the fold, I highly doubt it.  Do you believe the investors that want Sony to spin off the PS4 have any weight to make that happen.  Do people just believe one over the other because thats what they want to happen or have you taken the time to research the situation and validity.  I can tell you that I have researched both.

Around the Network

No. i would say late summer early fall of 2014 at the earliest if it does occur before then or march as you believe id be shocked, and would that be a new record of earliest console price drop ever?

Play Me

Machiavellian said:
fleischr said:
Machiavellian said:
fleischr said:
Machiavellian said:
fleischr said:
Investors don't like it.
Existing XOne owners don't like it.

I think an Xbox 360 price cut is far, far more likely

People that continue to bring the investor part into the mix really show they have no clue about the subject.  These investors have always been there on MS board with no real pull to make any changes within the company because they have less than 1% interest.  These investors are always the ones who are looking to cash and burn for greater dividend on their stocks and care little about long term plans, investment or even position of the company.

There was a push by one large group to get 1% interest in the company and failed, so their words continue to fall on deaf ears.  Hell, there are investors on Sony board that requested them to spin off the PS division, how likely do you think thats going to happen.  People need to stop throwing out the investor part because it has as much weight as a PS fan asking MS to spin off the Xbox division.

By that you mean the board of directors? The board members represent not only their own interests, but those of institutional investors that make up a significant portion of company ownership. That makes up far more than 1% my friend. These are also top-brass in the company -- what they say, do, and think naturally becomes what the rest of the company will say, do, and think. Ballmer was one of the champions of the Xbox brand, but he's no longer CEO.

Yes, I mean the board and yes, the amount of investor that can make any significant change at MS is less than 1% ownership of stocks which means those investors that want to spin off the Xbox division has no voting chance to make it happen.  When have MS moved based on investors whims.  As another person already stated, its the CEO that runs the company so unless there is some significant change in MS, nothing probably will change for the Xbox division.

The people who own the company and lead the company, run the company. Who else do you think runs the company?

Activist investors and board members can make Microsoft sell the Xbox brand if they wanted to bad enough. The business case for it is actually compelling enough for a majority of investors and board of directors to do so. Not saying it will happen, but it's not as unlikely as you might think.

Noticed that I say that the activist do not have anywhere near enough votes to get MS to do anything.  You are going in circles.  They make up less than 1% of the votes needed to make any change within MS.  I really do not know how else to explain that point to you.  Your business case was there for years and nothing has come of it then and nothing has changed now.  There still is not enough pull from those investors to make MS change anything they are doing.

The only thing that will change is if the new CEO deem a change but the fact that he brought back Bill Gates into the fold, I highly doubt it.  Do you believe the investors that want Sony to spin off the PS4 have any weight to make that happen.  Do people just believe one over the other because thats what they want to happen or have you taken the time to research the situation and validity.  I can tell you that I have researched both.

Regardless of whether either of us is right about whether MS's board would want to spin off the company or not -- they're not going to do a price cut on Xbox One this early. Investors were actually quite happy that the Xbox One helped MS reach record revenues. With that, why change the price so soon? A price cut may make their sales more competitive with Sony, but they'd be doing so at a loss. (Since no Kinect-less Xbox One is available yet, and no official announcement of that being in the works).

Investor prospective: An Xbox One price cut would likely shrink revenue and sink profits.I think what has changed is that they don't have the patience to put up with that.

Gaming is now one of Sony's more profitable ventures. With the rest of the company still doing badly though, selling a piece of it might be the only way to keep Sony's head above water. Investors would rather buy a piece of a winning business, rather than one plagued with the issues other Sony divisions have.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
Machiavellian said:

Regardless of whether either of us is right about whether MS's board would want to spin off the company or not -- they're not going to do a price cut on Xbox One this early. Investors were actually quite happy that the Xbox One helped MS reach record revenues. With that, why change the price so soon? A price cut may make their sales more competitive with Sony, but they'd be doing so at a loss. (Since no Kinect-less Xbox One is available yet, and no official announcement of that being in the works).

Investor prospective: An Xbox One price cut would likely shrink revenue and sink profits.I think what has changed is that they don't have the patience to put up with that.

Gaming is now one of Sony's more profitable ventures. With the rest of the company still doing badly though, selling a piece of it might be the only way to keep Sony's head above water. Investors would rather buy a piece of a winning business, rather than one plagued with the issues other Sony divisions have.

I totally agree with you that MS probably will not do any price cuts this early.  If anything MS will do what they have done with the 360 for years.  They will give out timed price cuts during the holiday or maybe bundle a game to increase the current price value.  Sometime next year probably during E3, we will see a price cut.

looks like I was right...

Activist lol
you meant ValueAct ???

and yeah .9% ownership I believe.. While on Sony's side the biggest shareholder wants to split it... Owning more than 6%... Will it happen hell no... Not for MS why break a well oiled machine that makes record profit... Andd neither for Sony because it is not the Japanese business way of doing things and that they're more likely to so what they did with VAIO and axe what really needs to go than just split hardware and media in half...