By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Wii U only 2% of Ubisoft sales for Q3 2013 (PS4: 12% X1: 9%)

osed125 said:
Mummelmann said:

I was being very, very heavily sarcastic. I'm sick to death of Nintendo fans blaming all their woes on 3rd parties when they're clearly not to blame.

Ubisoft are far and away the biggest supporters of the Wii U and even they get stung; that speaks volumes of Nintendo and their fans' blame in the whole situation around developer relations. "3rd party games aren't any good anyway, Nintendo 1st party titles are so much better" - "Why is every 3rd party ignoring Nintendo's home consoles?" - "It's a stripped down version." - "These guys don't make anything worthwhile anyway."

It's like a constant merry-go-round of anger and denial.

So, Nintendo fans on the web = the whole Wii U userbase? 

Because a few people say this stuff, that means they represent the 5 million Wii U owners?

That's what I honestly don't get about these type of comments, just because 5000 Nintendo fans say that on the web (just throwing a random number which is probably too high) doesn't represent the market AT ALL.

Just ask around here, there are plenty of Nintendo fans who buy 3rd party games (that are of quality at least). Do they represent the 5 million userbase? no they don't, and neither do the Nintendo fans who say 3rd party are trash.

So why are Wii U owners not interested in most 3rd party games? maybe is marketing? maybe most Wii U owners are kids that are not interested in these games? (after checking Miiverse, I can tell that kids and teens represent the majority of people who have a Wii U), maybe is just staple that Nintendo has had since the N64?

There are plenty of potential reasons as to why this is a problem, but a vocal minority on the web is by far one of them. And don't tell me that ALL Wii U owners are hardcore Nintendo fans who think like that, because that's just simple BS.

You made all those assumptions based on that post? That's one fairly heavy case of strawman right there.

No, the vocal minority on the web is not the main problem, nor did I say they were. My "quotes" revolve around these fans in here making these claims, and that's my whole point; they don't understand why this is happening, or they choose not to understand and they place the blame solely with the developer/publisher.

I think that most market driving multiplats are simply of a nature and design that doesn't appeal that much to the average Wii U owner, pure and simple. We also see different games perform differently on PS and Xbox, despite them having a fairly similar userbase by all accounts. About Miiverse; are you sure that they represent the majority? Perhaps the majority of Miiverse users are kids and teens but that doesn't mean that all the console owners are, right?
I think a Wii U owner's average age is on par with or above that of a PS4 or One, to be honest, and these are often people who don't think that games like Call of Duty is the pinnacle of gaming (I am one such person).

Again; nowhere did I mention that this is how all Wii U owners behave or feel, my comments towards those comparing 1st and 3rd party software were directed at the forum goers (as evidenced in my post to el_gallo on this very page).

Around the Network

DAT support.

osed125 said:
Mummelmann said:

I was being very, very heavily sarcastic. I'm sick to death of Nintendo fans blaming all their woes on 3rd parties when they're clearly not to blame.

Ubisoft are far and away the biggest supporters of the Wii U and even they get stung; that speaks volumes of Nintendo and their fans' blame in the whole situation around developer relations. "3rd party games aren't any good anyway, Nintendo 1st party titles are so much better" - "Why is every 3rd party ignoring Nintendo's home consoles?" - "It's a stripped down version." - "These guys don't make anything worthwhile anyway."

So, Nintendo fans on the web = the whole Wii U userbase? 

Because a few people say this stuff, that means they represent the 5 million Wii U owners?

That's what I honestly don't get about these type of comments, just because 5000 Nintendo fans say that on the web (just throwing a random number which is probably too high) doesn't represent the market AT ALL.

Just ask around here, there are plenty of Nintendo fans who buy 3rd party games (that are of quality at least). Do they represent the 5 million userbase? no they don't, and neither do the Nintendo fans who say 3rd party are trash.

So why are Wii U owners not interested in most 3rd party games? maybe is marketing? maybe most Wii U owners are kids that are not interested in these games? (after checking Miiverse, I can tell that kids and teens represent the majority of people who have a Wii U), maybe is just staple that Nintendo has had since the N64?

There are plenty of potential reasons as to why this is a problem, but a vocal minority on the web is by far one of them. And don't tell me that ALL Wii U owners are hardcore Nintendo fans who think like that, because that's just simple BS.

I don't believe it is a issue of age. Even the Wonderful 101 and Sonic Lost World bombed and those are undeniably kids games and exclusives to Wii U.

Mummelmann said:

You made all those assumptions based on that post? That's one fairly heavy case of strawman right there.

No, the vocal minority on the web is not the main problem, nor did I say they were. My "quotes" revolve around these fans in here making these claims, and that's my whole point; they don't understand why this is happening, or they choose not to understand and they place the blame solely with the developer/publisher.

I think that most market driving multiplats are simply of a nature and design that doesn't appeal that much to the average Wii U owner, pure and simple. We also see different games perform differently on PS and Xbox, despite them having a fairly similar userbase by all accounts. About Miiverse; are you sure that they represent the majority? Perhaps the majority of Miiverse users are kids and teens but that doesn't mean that all the console owners are, right?
I think a Wii U owner's average age is on par with or above that of a PS4 or One, to be honest, and these are often people who don't think that games like Call of Duty is the pinnacle of gaming (I am one such person).

Again; nowhere did I mention that this is how all Wii U owners behave or feel, my comments towards those comparing 1st and 3rd party software were directed at the forum goers (as evidenced in my post to el_gallo on this very page).

"Ubisoft are far and away the biggest supporters of the Wii U and even they get stung; that speaks volumes of Nintendo and their fans' blame in the whole situation around developer relations" 

This is where I made the assumption, but excuse me if I thought otherwise. In any case, there are plenty of people here who do think the vocal minority represent the whole Wii U userbase, and that all Wii U owners are Nintendo fans.

As for Miiverse, when I bored at work, I spend a lot of time on Miiverse. Checking the biggest communities (3D World, Wind Waker HD, NSMBU and NintendoLand) which before Nintendo changed it had 500k+ active users (it doesn't show the numbers anymore, but is safe to say that in the worse case, they stayed the same). And most comments are made by kids or teens (if the profile is public, you can see their info). Most are in the range of 10-15 years old, and for the one that have a private profile, sometimes by looking at their Mii, you can somewhat tell what age they have.

And although this is hard to come as evidence (because there are adults that are really stupid), at least 70% of the Wind Waker HD comments are asking how the get the sail or how to take pictures, but this is either kids who don't know how to play or very stupid adults. Same as to people asking how to go into morph ball in Metroid. And, oddly enough, on 3D World and NSMBU (which are games that have zero "complicated mechanics") all question are about where to find a star on 'X' level, which is a normal question for both kids and adults.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Cancel Watch Dogs, every Wii U owner has either or a PS3/4, XB1/360 or a PC that will have versions that will look and run better. The game will be cheaper and available earlier on those platforms.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network
Figgycal said:

I don't believe it is a issue of age. Even the Wonderful 101 and Sonic Lost World bombed and those are undeniably kids games and exclusives to Wii U.

Wonderful 101 had a problem of marketing, Nintendo basically sent the game to die. The only marketing I remember were the Nintendo Directs, basically only catering to the people who watch them. And while it doesn't look from the surface, the game is VERY complicated in both controls and mechanics, meaning that kids would have a very very hard time getting into it. The learning curve is huge is that game, just asks anyone who has played it.

No idea how much marketing Sonic: Lost World got. Sonic Boom will be a better example, since it will have a cartoon. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

el_gallo said:
Mummelmann said:
SnowPrince said:
Mummelmann said:
It's all Ubisoft's fault though.

I hope you're not serious, what on earth could they potentially do ? They released every published game they have on the WiiU, and they're continuing their support, it's just that WiiU audience don't want to support their console.

If you're referring to Rayman Legends becoming multiplat, maybe it's just that pre-orders did not meet their expectations for an exclusive title.

I look at their past products and while they've done okay, they aren't anything to write home about. They've done the minimum and have lately fallen into the habit of the yearly release of the rehashed triple AAA franchise title. Sure they port it to the Wii U and that is about it. Nothing exclusive, no special features, no visual upgrades over the prior gen or much of anything like that. I mean why no DLC support as an example? It can't be that hard to deal with. By definition it is just downloadable content for the original game.

Treat it equally and then complain about an equal result. If all this publisher had done was port the PS3 version to PS4 and no DLC, do you think the abysmal sales would be blamed on Sony?

They only have so much resources to go around. Why bother with DLC support if the game itself didn't bring in a profit. It isn't to the best interest of Ubisoft to support the Wii U-- they could be using those resources on PS3/360, Xbox one and PS4 and instead they're releasing products that result to 2% of their total sales. Why bother developing DLC for a game that sold 130,000 copies (like Black Flag). It makes no sense, businesswise. They might've covered porting cots with that 130k, but they could've used that tiny revenue to create content that brings them a lot more money. And funny enough, yes the PS3 was in a similar situation, in terms of subpar ports, in its first few years. But even then, sales of third party games weren't abysmal like they are on the Wii U. Nintendo fans should be grateful that they're receivng any support considering how much money third party games are bringing in. And unlike the Wii U, PlayStation gamers are actually uying the games and are therefore more likely to buy the DLC. Everything costs money to make, including DLC--many third party publishers doubt that the cost to produce the DLC < the revenue they'll make. Sales of a game is pretty indcadive of how well the DLC will do.

osed125 said:
Figgycal said:

Wonderful 101 had a problem of marketing, Nintendo basically sent the game to die. The only marketing I remember were the Nintendo Directs, basically only catering to the people who watch them. And while it doesn't look from the surface, the game is VERY complicated in both controls and mechanics, meaning that kids would have a very very hard time getting into it. The learning curve is huge is that game, just asks anyone who has played it.

No idea how much marketing Sonic: Lost World got. Sonic Boom will be a better example, since it will have a cartoon. 

I think it was clear that Nintendo had no faith in TW101.

Figgycal said:
osed125 said:

I think it was clear that Nintendo had no faith in TW101.

Most likely. Still giving the game 0 marketing outside of the Nintendo Directs was a very stupid move, even if they thought it wouldn't have sold well.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Wii U is bound to have a lower percentage when its 6 million v 160 million, yet again its put into negative spin against the Wii U and its owners.