By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - When Will Xbox One Outsell Wii U?

TheJimbo1234 said:

[...]
Really? With the major next gen games coming out eg watchdogs etc for the xbone, that will boost sales a lot and so far, very little has boosted WiiU sales any significant amount.

I do think it is safe to say that the Xbone will outsell the wiiu indefinately, but how long will it take to close the gap? A while as I think xbone sales will still be low, although higher than the WiiU's.

All the 3rd Party titles won't push the Xbox One asthe PS4 is cheaper and has the better versions of them. On top of that, the PS4 also has a better reputation. So out of 10 people, 9 will choose the PS4 if they want to get some multiplat.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

Hard to say, but it's going to take a while.
The Wii U is obviously struggling to find an audience, but I'm sure the Xbox One will fail to sell in Japan and be a distant second in Europe.

roborad said:
Damkos said:
roborad said:
with the next halo, titanfall, sunset overdrive, quantum break, and the next call of duty to hit in the holidays, I'd imagine around then. Or before if ms does a price cut at e3. Or earlier if titanfall has a drastic, drastic domino effect on x1 sales.

With the next Zelda, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart and the next call of duty to hit in the holidays, I'd imagine Wii U stays second. Especially if Ninty does a pricecut at E3. Or earlier if Donkey Kong tropical freeze has a drastic, domino effect on Wii U sales.

See? I can basically say the same.

You may say that COD sells better on xbox family, but still Wii U will get it. that's what Treyarch is for :)

I'm just going by what the majority of people are saying about the x1 online.  

Tons of people are waiting for halo, call of duty has more impact on the x1 than the wii-u (significantly more impact), and titanfall has been praised heavily by virutally all media outlets (as pretty much everyone who has played the beta- that's a perfect storm for a game to perform well and push hardware sales).  If the just-released mario on wii-u didn't have much impact on pushing wii u sales, what makes you think that donkey kong tf will?  Does donkey kong have a magically huge audience compared to mario's audience?  And judging from previous years, call of duy just has no weight with nintendo hardware- most people familiarize that brand with the xbox or ps.  

In case you haven't noticed - my post was a pun of yours.

I know perfectly will that CoD on Wii U is not a best seller - still, it sells enough to make it profitable. Activision will publish the next one for sure. They did it twice already, despite the low sales.

Everybody said that Ryse is "oh-so-beautiful", pure system seller. Now it's below one million. Super Mario 3D World became a third best (I think) seller on Wii U in 2 months. It drove Wii U to respectable 300-400 during Holidays.

Donkey KOng sold big last time. Of course It won't sell 6 million again (haha, not enoguh consoles even), but again, my post WAS A PUN. but 2 -3 million lifetime is quite possible. That isn't bad, is it?
Aaaaand that Titanfall - which, mind you, relaeses on 360 an PC too. You expect huge sales from that? Overall - yes, but it's not exclusive to X1, this will have some impact but not much I'd say.

Now, Mario Kart 8 is a Wii U exclusive, 3rd best selling game EVER. and a fan favourite Smash bros (even non nitnendo people like it!). I have a friend who plays CoD, Gta and fifa only. He said he's gonna buy Wii U just for this game, same as he did with Wii - bought it only for Smash Brawl.

I think that's quite telling.

later this year.

The only question you need to ask yourself is, can XBO sell 2.3m more units than WiiU by the end of the year. If you think yes then the answer is by 2015.

With bigger brand name in america, microsoft's ad campaign, not out in the majority of the world which will give it another boost, exclusives like Halo, TitanFall, Kinect Sports, and Quantum Break (Possibly others unannounced either for 2014 or 2015), 2nd holiday with a likely $100 deal or pricecut, third party games such as Call of Duty, Witcher, Destiny, etc It is very possible that it will sell more than 2.3m than wiiu this year.

X looks great but it doesnt appeal to the masses. Neither does bayonetta. I honestly dont believe DKC is going to push much but it will have a boost during the holidays with a high attach rate (so will XBO, likely more considering $100 deal, halo, Quantum Break, KSR, and third party).

That leaves Mario Kart and Smash Bros to do the bulk of the work. Seeing as most Nintendo games sell well over lifetime rather than day one i dont see any reason to believe these two are going to push magical numbers within a few weeks either. They will have a big attach rate no doubt but considering the competition i dont know.

Around the Network

Q4 2015.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

OdinHades said:
TheJimbo1234 said:

[...]
Really? With the major next gen games coming out eg watchdogs etc for the xbone, that will boost sales a lot and so far, very little has boosted WiiU sales any significant amount.

I do think it is safe to say that the Xbone will outsell the wiiu indefinately, but how long will it take to close the gap? A while as I think xbone sales will still be low, although higher than the WiiU's.

All the 3rd Party titles won't push the Xbox One asthe PS4 is cheaper and has the better versions of them. On top of that, the PS4 also has a better reputation. So out of 10 people, 9 will choose the PS4 if they want to get some multiplat.

Hm, yes I think that certainly is going to be an issue for the xbone. You will always have people who have brand loyalty, and that combined with exclusive titles/reknown series will bump up sales, but I doubt much as you rightly point out that the PS4 trumps the xbone in everyway quite clearly this gen.

However it is, and probably will continue to sell better than the WiiU so will eventually overtake it, but I doubt any time soon.

Tsk, PSV still pwns both. And PS4 too!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the end of 2014.

well, its just 2.2m total behind WiiU now and i don't see it will need long to overtake it since the XB1 still selling great in US... Titanfall should help it boost a lot...