By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft's $100 Offer Exposes its Fear That Sony Will Win the PS4 vs Xbox One War

Superman4 said:
I think the PS4 will continue to grow its lead. It is the more powerful system, it is cheaper, the features people were bitching about last gen are now included and Gaikai still hasn't been released. When it is and the games are available, it is over in terms of sales this gen. Not saying MS wont do well, they just wont beat Sony.

Using the "Power" argument as to why a device is going to sell more doesn't really hold up.
It's a "plus" but the average joe sadly doesn't know or even care about such intricities in the real world.

You only have to look at every Apple product to see that, they are all underpowered, underfeatured and yet are still stupidly profitable.
The Wii last generation proved you don't need performance and graphics to be a big seller.

And then you have the PC, with the best in-class performance and graphics if you're willing to pony up the cash.

The main draw cards however to whether a system will be successfull is generally completely down to brand recognition and advertising and the games that are advertised for said system.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

Yes and all is good in the world. Microsoft will never have the succes it had in the 7th generation, ever again. PS3's mistakes won't be repeated.

Vashyo said:
I still think XB1 wont ever truly start competing until it is noticeably cheaper than PS4

or if Sony started similar exclusives-drought as the 360 had at the mid/end of its lifespan and MS keeps new exclusives coming year after year.

True exclusives ofcourse, I see Titanfall losing some of its thunder for being also a PC game, multisystem players like me just don't have much need for Xbox when lot of its games also come for my PC.

By a lot do you mean 1? Titanfall is the only Xbox console exclusive game coming to PC.

Yes. But the Xbox One version could be even higher, right, if there were no alternative versions for Titanfall. On another note, Destiny for PS4 is the most pre-ordered game still. So that means that Titanfall will probably not help the Xbox One much. Infamous Second Son and the PS4 version of Watchdogs are also extremely high up on the pre-ordered lists. Even the exlusive the Order 1886 has more than 100,000 pre-orders. Microsoft is toast. The PS4 will take Japan as expected and the gap will continue to widen.

There could be more my friend. Microsoft said awhile back that it plans to release Xbox One exclusives on PC. It seemed they were considering other games besides Titanfall. Plus, it wouldn't be the first time they did this. Alan Wake, Gears of War, Fable 1 and 3, and others ended up on PC.

Around the Network
tuscaniman99 said:
Vashyo said:
I still think XB1 wont ever truly start competing until it is noticeably cheaper than PS4

or if Sony started similar exclusives-drought as the 360 had at the mid/end of its lifespan and MS keeps new exclusives coming year after year.

True exclusives ofcourse, I see Titanfall losing some of its thunder for being also a PC game, multisystem players like me just don't have much need for Xbox when lot of its games also come for my PC.

By a lot do you mean 1? Titanfall is the only Xbox console exclusive game coming to PC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Spark

tuscaniman99 said:
dsp333 said:

spurgeonryan said:

Playstation is a bigger brand? That is why according to Seece the X360 is still technically ahead of PS3 or recently passed? Only worldwide because Sony owns Japan. Microsoft cannot get a foothold.

PS3 won every region in the world aside from North America despite a serious price and PR advantage for the first half of the gen (and even now they're still at a slight price disadvantage for entry model, but it's not that severe thankfully).

And on top of that, PS3 is only entering it's 8th year while the 360 is entering it's 9th. PS3 is tracking 6 million ahead.

PS2 tracked 120 million ahead of Xbox. Sony lost 50% of their marketshare to MS last gen. PS3 was an absolute failure.

Sure, but it still beat the 360 in every region in the world aside from North America despite a serious price and PR advantage for the first half of the gen, and it's still tracking 6 million ahead of the 360. Only rebutting the idea that they only won one region (Japan), when it's just the opposite, that the 360 only won one region (North America) and PS3 won all of the rest. Also for a failure as big as the PS3 to outsell the compitition aligned (and even not aligned, now) at an overall considerable price disadvantage, you have to assume that means either the 360 is a piece of shit (which I don't believe as it was my console of choice for almost the entire gen), or that Playstation is the stronger brand.

Also, Sony made $257 million net profit last quarter where as Microsoft made $6.56 billion net profit, no idea where you got either of those numbers.

www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q3_sony.pdf

www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q2/default.aspx

The 1.1 billion net loss is their projection for the full year ending March 31st, as they've started spending a shit load on restructing their TV and PC divisions. They expect this to save them $1 billion every year though starting 2015, which is why their stock price shot up following the news.

www.rttnews.com/story.aspx?Id=2264648

dsp333 said:
tuscaniman99 said:
dsp333 said:

spurgeonryan said:

Playstation is a bigger brand? That is why according to Seece the X360 is still technically ahead of PS3 or recently passed? Only worldwide because Sony owns Japan. Microsoft cannot get a foothold.

PS3 won every region in the world aside from North America despite a serious price and PR advantage for the first half of the gen (and even now they're still at a slight price disadvantage for entry model, but it's not that severe thankfully).

And on top of that, PS3 is only entering it's 8th year while the 360 is entering it's 9th. PS3 is tracking 6 million ahead.

PS2 tracked 120 million ahead of Xbox. Sony lost 50% of their marketshare to MS last gen. PS3 was an absolute failure.

Sure, but it still beat the 360 in every region in the world aside from North America despite a serious price and PR advantage for the first half of the gen, and it's still tracking 6 million ahead of the 360. Only rebutting the idea that they only won one region (Japan), when it's just the opposite, that the 360 only won one region (North America) and PS3 won all of the rest. Also for a failure as big as the PS3 to outsell the compitition aligned (and even not aligned, now) at an overall considerable price disadvantage, you have to assume that means either the 360 is a piece of shit (which I don't believe as it was my console of choice for almost the entire gen), or that Playstation is the stronger brand.

Also, Sony made $257 million net profit last quarter where as Microsoft made $6.56 billion net profit, no idea where you got either of those numbers.

www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/financial/fr/13q3_sony.pdf

www.microsoft.com/investor/EarningsAndFinancials/Earnings/PressReleaseAndWebcast/FY14/Q2/default.aspx

The 1.1 billion net loss is their projection for the full year ending March 31st, as they've started spending a shit load on restructing their TV and PC divisions. They expect this to save them $1 billion every year though starting 2015, which is why their stock price shot up following the news.

www.rttnews.com/story.aspx?Id=2264648

PS3 didn't win in every single country. The WIi won and many countries as well. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

MoHasanie said:

PS3 didn't win in every single country. The WIi won and many countries as well. 

Every other region, not every other country. North America isn't a country.

But yes, Wii won overall. Spurgeonryan was specifically talking 360 vs PS3.

NightDragon83 said:
That $499 price tag is a killer. Every store had a ton of PS3's in stock shortly after the holidays when it launched because of its price and the fact that there were hardly any games for it in the early days. For M$ to repeat the exact same mistakes Sony made at the beginning of the last generation is mind boggling.

I believe the difference is that MS is not taking a huge loss like Sony.  If anything MS is probably breaking even or with game sells, XBL and gamepads and other hardware probably is making a profit.  I believe the difference between what MS is doing and what gamers expect is 2 different things.  MS is looking to capture as much money at 500 before they lower the price.  They might not even lower it this year but instead either add more bundled first party games or do just a Holiday drop.

It seems that MS is more than willing to give Sony marketshare this early in the game as long as they are still selling well and not taking a loss.  Its not like MS cannot add value, drop the price of the X1 and still sell a ton of consoles.  It appear that they are willing to go at their own pace and sustains profits.  Its really the opposite of what Sony did with the PS3 since they were always selling at a loss and was not gaining enough marketshare in the beginning to negate that loss.  Sony had to aggressively drop the price on the PS3 thus taking a loss for years where they should have been making a profit.