By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What are your thought's on this Gamepad thing for the Nintendo Wii U?

d21lewis said:
oniyide said:
d21lewis said:
hellovgc said:

-heavy  :  The general consensus is that it's surprisingly light.  "How much does this giant Wii U GamePad weight and how does it feel in your hands?  After getting some hands-on time with it at Nintendo’s E3 booth, I am happy to report that the Wii U GamePad is incredibly light.  In fact, according to a Nintendo representative, it weighs “about one pound”.

I know it’s easy to hear “one pound” and think that’s heavy, but it’s actually really light and, despite its rectangular shape, quite comfortable in your hands."

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2012/06/06/wii-u-gamepad-weighs-about-one-pound

-gamepads analog sticks are short and the tension is way too high, which makes games like need for speed difficult to control  No.  The Wii U controller's analog sticks are exactly the same as the ones on the Pro Controller--which is comparable (in my opinion, quite favorably) to both the 360 and PS3's controllers.  The tension is a matter of opinion but I just tried it.  It's about as tight as a 360 controller and tighter than a PS3 controller.

-horrible battery  Well, yeah...but it's doing a lot of things.

-SD screen, at minimum, Nintendo should of put 720p on it.  Matter of opinion.  Due to its small size, games actually look quite sharp on the game pad.  Yeah, it could always be sharper but it's fine.  No blurring.  Vivid color.

-Resistive touch screen, makes using the screen with both thumbs at the same time impossible, waste.  Works great for me from the games I've played.  Resistive touch screen hasn't hurt the 3DS experience, has it?
-sound volume on the gamepad is EXTREMELY low.  No.  It's pretty loud.

-dpad placement is horrible Matter of opinion.  Unlike you, I've used it.  It's fine.  I go from PS3 to 360 to Wii U without missing a beat.  It's in the same place as the 360 configuration so....yeah.

-edit cannot turn off screen while streaming movies without a wiimote, wierd.  Does not auto turn off.  True.  I just leave it on the cradle.  The screen will dim but it won't turn off...unless you take it out of range of the console.  Then, it will auto turn off.

-Gamepad mode- sometimes you'll have major lag.  Probably due to interference but Nintendo should of took this into account.  Not once in my entire life have I experienced any sort of lag on the Wii U, ever.  I Googled it and I only found a few instances of people saying something about a frame or two in Virtual Console games.  I found more results saying that the Wii U controller has LESS lag than many HDTVs.

I'm glad to know you feel this way. Now I know to add you to my list of people who are full of buuuuuuuuull shit.

how about debunking his claims instead of saying hes full of shit, cause otherwise you look like the one who is actually full of it and just defending something that might be true although negative which is probably worse.

Go to 1:50

Anyway, debunk I shall.  Look up, my friend.

you didnt debunk anything, most of what was said was simply opinions. YOu cant debunk his opinion, if the doesnt like it its perfectly fine and gave reasons to not like it. You just countered with either "I dont mind" or "works for me" hardly an argument. You cant call someone's opinions BS. THats IGN nonsense.

Around the Network
snowdog said:
Anyone that doesn't think the GamePad is awesome either hasn't used it or is using it with the wrong games. Anyone playing ZombiU, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Batman Arkham City, Batman Arkham Origins, Rayman Legends, Deus Ex and Splinter Cell Blacklist will instantly be aware of how awesome the GamePad is.

IMHO that just hurts your case. The wrong games? if it so awesome then it should be good for ALL if not MOST of the games. You kind of admitted it isnt, so it cant be that awesome?

oniyide said:

you didnt debunk anything, most of what was said was simply opinions. YOu cant debunk his opinion, if the doesnt like it its perfectly fine and gave reasons to not like it. You just countered with either "I dont mind" or "works for me" hardly an argument. You cant call someone's opinions BS. THats IGN nonsense.

Fair enough.  My opinion vs his....but I'm willing to bet he hasn't used one.  Personally, I don't care if people like it or not.  If he said the rumble was weaker than a baby kitten or the triggers were digital instead of analog, I would agree.  As it stands, I think he is just posting stuff he saw on the internet or totally making stuff up.  The Wii U's analog sticks aren't 3DS analog nubs, for example. In your opinion, is an iPod heavy?  That's how much a Wii U controller weighs.  Either way, I'll drop it.   You guys pwned me.

d21lewis said:
oniyide said:

Fair enough.  My opinion vs his....but I'm willing to bet he hasn't used one.  Personally, I don't care if people like it or not.  If he said the rumble was weaker than a baby kitten or the triggers were digital instead of analog, I would agree.  As it stands, I think he is just posting stuff he saw on the internet or totally making stuff up.  The Wii U's analog sticks aren't 3DS analog nubs, for example. In your opinion, is an iPod heavy?  That's how much a Wii U controller weighs.  Either way, I'll drop it.   You guys pwned me.

It wasnt may intention to own perse just pointing out the descrepancy . He could have went online but couldnt ANYONE do that? for a good or bad? I didnt find the thing heavy myself, but I lift so yeah.

I think the Gamepad is lame. I think it is an albatross around the U's neck. I think it was a mistake for Nintendo to center an entire console over this feature, which not everyone sees value in. It is a hodgepodge of ideas and is exclusive, as opposed to the Wii's inclusive nature. I think its high time Nintendo start making Gamepad less SKU's.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Around the Network

I have potatoes in my pantry that are heavier than the Wii U Pad, if you can't or are not sure how to lift it, you may have issues.

i like it, and off tv play is a big deal for my house

I think the gamepad is a great idea, but poorly executed. If it was a little smaller (but with the same size screen), sleeker, lighter and with better battery life more people would like it. Oh and better range for off-TV play would be great too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Nintendo released a revision of the gamepad soon with these issues addressed. I'd trade mine in on the new model in a heartbeat.

I don´t like it...off tv play is useless to me, the battery life is pretty bad and I think it´s annoying to keep looking up and down between the TV screen and the Gamepad in, for example, those situations in TW101 that demand it.

I prefer the Pro controller far more.Great design and excellent battery life, now that´s an awesome controller.

The mandatory use of the Gamepad in Mario 3D World diminishes my enjoyment with the game.I´m perfectly fine playing with the Pro controller, and all of a sudden the game demands that I use the thing, and for what?..just to touch some frickin platforms and blow into the mic...get outta here.And those Toad levels, why oh why do I have to use it?...just to tilt the controller in order to move the camera....oh wait, but you can also just use the right analog stick, which is actually the preferred method.

I´m so glad DKC has no mandatory use of the pad.

The gamepad is nothing but a gimmick, and a poor one at that. Nintendo could have added some more juice to their hardware, added a "traditional" control pad that doesn't suck, and still launched the system at $299, and it would be competitive with PS4/X1 at this point instead of being pretty much DOA and devoid of any real 3rd party support.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.