By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Reports $1.1B Loss - The Bullcrap Needs To Stop

He's certainly not wrong about negative MS/Nintendo news getting trumpeted from the rooftops while anything that doesn't depict Sony and godlike and perfect is buried by the internet cheerleader squad.

Around the Network
Devil_Survivor said:
vivster said:
ninetailschris said:
vivster said:

Ok. Now I've seen the whole thing.

Summary:

- Sony fanboys are too good at promoting their platform
- Anecdotal evidence is FACT!
- Internet has too many Sony fanboys
- If an article that's not even a day old hasn't penetrated the whole internet, it was suppressed by fanboys
- I don't understand fps arguments and I don't like to look at the big picture and I only have short term memory

"You know what I been sayin'?"

This is almost on the level of a cult. Just stop. "Sony fans are to good at promoting their platform" by flagging anything not positive about the company? Does Sony pay you or something?

Nope. I do this for free and for fun :)

I think I have earned this attitude by listening to his ramblings for a whole 20 minutes.

Lol your exactly the kind of person he is talking in the video. Your reaction to this video proves that you just damage contorl for Sony and even when they don't ask you too. 

I do damage control for Sony because his damage is beyond controlling.

Yes there is a lot of Sony bias but that's not coming from nowhere. He may have a point but the method of delivering and his "proofs" are just laughable.

He singles out single occurences of events and applies them to all fanboys to fit his argument. He says that IGN is biased for Sony. Why would it? IGN or other gaming outlets have no stake in this war. They don't gain revenue by posting only positive news for one company. This also completely ignores 99% of the rest of the coverage of both consoles that was not biased. So he is doing nothing else than fanboys by cherry picking bits that fit his argument.

He also keeps going on about that one moderator on N4G that failed that one article. It's not even clear why it was failed. Maybe it was a duplicate. But this guy doesn't even consider a different possibility than fanboyism.

Then that whole 30fps business. Yes there were a few Sony fanboys saying that 30fps is not next gen. This was not a general statement but a counter to an X1 version of the same game. It was always about getting the best version possible. If an X1 game couldn't do 60fps like a PS4 game could it was bad. There were some games that the PS4 only managed to get 30fps but in those cases the X1 had to reduce the resolution so 30fps were till the best console version of the game. No Sony fanboy will argue that the PS4 can manage all games at 60fps. It's just not strong enough for that. But we have at least a guarantee that if the PS4 only manages 30fps that it is the best possible on a console with the same visual fidelity. That's why it is ok.

He poses as a white knight for unbiased gaming but his rhetoric and ignorance puts him in the very same category as any fanboy.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

$1.1 billion operating loss is peanuts for a company that has a fortune half a trillion or a trillion dollars. Let;s call it a small splash in the ocean and dismiss it as a minor loss due to investing in the new PS4.

Darth Tigris said:
I think the standout thing to me is how the PS4 isn't profitable right away. I thought Sony is supposed to be making money one each one right now? That's what has been purported and used to down the XBO as it supposedly is more expensive and less powerful making Sony seem like the savvy hardware engineer here when in fact it's the old loss leader strategy to undercut the competition all over again that got them in hot water last gen too. I even STOOD UP for them by not taking that strategy this time around because I guess I was caught up in what this loony video is talking about.

Oh forums ... u such a mess ...

Well, their gaming division did profit in Q4 2013, so if they are losing money on the PS4 HW (not even sure if that's the case), then everything else is more than enough to make up for it.

JayWood2010 said:
fireburn95 said:
Lol that guy is probably dumber than pachter - if you can last more than 5 minutes on any of his videos you may have induced a tumour.

He isnt really wrong about what he is saying.  (He is talking about N4G)

"If nintendo would have lost 1.1b which is over 3x more than what they lost everybody would have been talking about it, but instead nobody is talking about it."  

"The Order 1886 gets announced 30fps and  "its okay".  When microsoft announces 30fps it gets blasted."

These are both examples he uses, not mine but he is right.  He also says it isnt just the sony fanbase that does this stuff, he just believes theyre the main perpetrators of hypocricy and damage control. 

Context, how does it work?

Ninty losing $1 billion could only be for massively screwing up in theirgaming business, which is their only business, and the only business gamers care about. No one denies Sony made big losses on PS3 early years, but in the last few years gaming has been pretty healthy.

30fps on Xb one IS bad when exactly the same game on PS4 is running mostly at 60fps, and the Xb one version isn;t even locked at 30. It would also be bad on The Order if the game otherwise looked and performed exactly like the aforementioned multiplatform game with significant fps difference between PS4 and Xb one.

But yeah, leave out context if it looks like it will support the argument.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
I think the standout thing to me is how the PS4 isn't profitable right away. I thought Sony is supposed to be making money one each one right now? That's what has been purported and used to down the XBO as it supposedly is more expensive and less powerful making Sony seem like the savvy hardware engineer here when in fact it's the old loss leader strategy to undercut the competition all over again that got them in hot water last gen too. I even STOOD UP for them by not taking that strategy this time around because I guess I was caught up in what this loony video is talking about.

Sony never said that. Some analysts reckoned the bill of materials was less than the RRP, but that doesn't take into account the other costs associated with getting a console into consumers' homes. I think Sony suggested PS4 + one purchased game = slight profit. Dunno if the bundles like Knack or KZ are profitable.

I think the vast majority of PS fans were just relieved that Sony wasn't taking a massive hit with each console, which may have crossed people's minds with the $399 price. If non-PS fans interpretted that relief (even jubilation) as a belief of HW profit from day one then that's those non-fans' mistake, not the deception of the PS fanosphere. I think I might have hoped for day one HW profit for about a week until I read the best analyst predictions on cost to market.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

ZyroXZ2 said:
If only my talk show spurred this kind of discussion... lol

:P

Zelhawks37 said:
Sony fanboys are the worst is the summary of it. Its true too.

Si^

thismeintiel said:
Darth Tigris said:

Well, their gaming division did profit in Q4 2013, so if they are losing money on the PS4 HW (not even sure if that's the case), then everything else is more than enough to make up for it.

''But the latest iteration of its popular video game console, the Playstation 4, has seen strong sales. It’s on track to beat guidance of 5 million console sales by the end of March, having reached 4.2 million at the end of December

Still, expensive development costs left Sony warning it will take at least two years to break even on the console.''

http://business.financialpost.com/2014/02/06/sony-corp-turnaround-2014/?__lsa=59d3-e505

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
$1.1 billion operating loss is peanuts for a company that has a fortune half a trillion or a trillion dollars. Let;s call it a small splash in the ocean and dismiss it as a minor loss due to investing in the new PS4.

Yea selling buildings, TV brand line and Computer brand line is doing great. point being, it's not as Rosie as some might believe. This is no Small potatoes.

I for one would like sony to stick around for competition but it's not looking that great and if this fails, they don't have much left to fall on. You can only lose for so long.