By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Xbox One has won the launch at my dormatory

Farsala said:
Odd so many of them had 400-500$ to spend so early in the console lifecycle. At my UNI we are poor, and are waiting for more games to come out to make a decision on which console to get. PS4 already has the advantage due to being $100 cheaper.

It was the same experience for my friends and I during our university days :P. One guy had an N64 we played the shit out of in the common room with lots of Goldeneye and Mario Kart matches. 

Around the Network

That just makes the 'console wars' hype completely obsolete.
Being able to afford what's currently the best choice and being able and 'openminded' (for a chartz visitor) enough to (probably) switch to the competitor when they are on their game.

You're no fun ;p

RawrJa said:
Darth Tigris said:
Wait, why do people keep saying that the PS4 has a better games outlook??? Based on what's been solidly announced, I just don't see it.

S.T.A.G.E.'s post makes sense to me. Anecdotal, yes, but interesting. It may not be the popular thing among fanatical gaming geekdom, but it makes all the sense in the world. And Titanfall being a system selling hit may be an nightmare for that same subset of gaming, but all signs point to that not being so far fetched.

BUT the Sony fanbase is loyal, loud and arrogant and the PS4 seems to be a great piece of tech, so this gen will be quite a battle for the distance methinks. I just hope it's enough outside of the core ...

Sony fanbase are neither of those things. Majority of Sony fanbase has/going to purchase a Wii U or own a high end gaming pc.  The part I just dont agree with.  Also both launch line-ups are trash.

Exactly what I was thinking.  In fact, the Xbox360 fanbase probably IS the Sony fanbase!

Mystro-Sama said:
Maybe because they're dudebro's?

Those hooligans.  Me, I like to dim the lights, play a little classical music, light a fire in the fireplace, put on my smoking jacket, pour myself a glass of merlot, and unwind with my pipe and a game of Uncharted.  I'm a classy gamer.

Farsala said:
Odd so many of them had 400-500$ to spend so early in the console lifecycle. At my UNI we are poor, and are waiting for more games to come out to make a decision on which console to get. PS4 already has the advantage due to being $100 cheaper.

Maybe they're at an Ivy League school since they sound like a very intelligent group of people that haven't allowed themselves to be brainwashed by the fanboy tripe that fills many gaming forums.  They let the games do the talking which was something that used to happen before the Internet came along and allowed many people to spread their bullshit far and wide.

Around the Network

XB1 has no launch RPG/JRPG. Child of Light is the only American RPG upcoming I believe, and then ESO later this year = American MMORPG.

The most important aspect to observe and contemplate for next gen is? Does only 2 interesting launch games equal the most meaningful reason to own a next gen console in the grand scheme of things, without contemplating the entire consoles life cycle? For me MMORPG is not interesting and Child of Light will be multi=platform, so there is no launch games or foreseable games when it comes to one of my favorite genre's. The XB1 platform is completely dead to me, and completely uninspiring. Add on a bunch of college dude-bro's hooping and hollering "XB1 make me taco!" doesn't impress me either.

If you're a JRPG fan this year there is only one choice in 2014. The PS3!!!!!!!!!!

PS3= Dark Souls 2, FFXIII - Lightning Returns, FFX+X-2Remaster,  Tales of Xillia 2, Tales Of Symphonia Chronicles, Kingdom Hearts 1.5HD, Persona 5 (2014 or 2015?), Child of Light 

As an RPG/JRPG fan the XBOX will never impress me, sadly from the looks of things.

When 2014 is ending and 2015 comes around I think I'll easily be able to decide which next gen console is worth the investment. I'll definetly not be listening to the corporately brainswashed college educated students of the USA in any capacity. Especially when it comes to next gen gaming. ;) I barely even listen to anyone's opinion on this website or any website online for that matter. I advise everyone to think for themselves. I see to many brainwashed dudes hyping XBOX since its inception. I always go with my personal gaming tastes, and bounce that off of what I see in Let's Plays on Youtube. I also check into who designed the game, and what games have they designed in the past. Every console has what you're describing, 2 or 3 interesting new games. That's a terrible reason to buy a console imho, because what will you play after that? Maybe nothing for a really long time and in fact so long you end up selling said console for a loss, and then get something else. Which would have all been avoided if you would just do some preliminary research or listen to less hype and more actual future content.

Max King of the Wild said:
MoHasanie said:

His dorm mates sound more sophistiated than just COD fans. They switched from the 360 - ps3- to X1, so they go to whichever platform has the best games. 

Assumption. I can assume too but have mine based on probability. I assume his 20 or so dorm mates are not as educated as us on the forums and most are ignorant about the things ive listed. I also assume the OP is full of hyperbole. not only that but CoD group (which im sure there are some in the 20 dorm mates) were only one group i targeted. Also targeted sports group and budget gamers

VGC's userbase is educated?  I was always under the impression it was just a bunch of fanboys arguing about who has the best plastic box......Games > Brands.  Forums tend to forget about games and argue about advertisements and PR.  

As always everybody needs to learn everybody has different preferences and opinions.  If someone thinks the XBO is better than PS4 that is their opinion and vice versa.

To say that one more time YOU dont equal everybody.

Xbox One may be behind in sales but they are ahead in games and that's all that matters to me. They have not even said what Rare IPs will be coming. Cant wait

JayWood2010 said:

VGC's userbase is educated?  I was always under the impression it was just a bunch of fanboys arguing about who has the best plastic box......Games > Brands.  Forums tend to forget about games and argue about advertisements and PR.  

As always everybody needs to learn everybody has different preferences and opinions.  If someone thinks the XBO is better than PS4 that is their opinion and vice versa.

To say that one more time YOU dont equal everybody.

Yes, we very clearly are more informed than the general public and Im willing to place a bet that if you tell the group of twenty, "Ps4 is the only system of the two which will recieve a MLB game this spring" that it would influence decisions. Baseball is a popular sport and if someone is buying the system for Madden, MLB, NBA and a shooter like titanfall then fact remains, you cant get MLB on the one but you can really replace titanfall with really any shooter. 1 in 20 is all it takes to start thinking. Im assuming based on probability that someone will care about the game. Also Im assuming based on probability not all of them will care about more than a handful of multiplats. And I am also assuming that when these college students look at 100 dollar difference (which grows due to tax) that might be a difficult hurddle to jump if they are into the above categories or if they know that for 50 dollars a year they can get 12 games with ps+.

sigh... its like no-one learnt anything about launch lineups and third party exclusives from last gen.