By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Why is the European gaming market "neglected" by VGChartz?

australasia would be way to small

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network
ioi said:
@Hakker_nl

I find your response a little perplexing. I am from the UK and this is my site.

Believe me, I fully understand how hard / difficult it is to track information in Europe - it's what I do! I also have detailed knowledge of market size of various regions going back 25 years - I don't think I need my head checking. Have you looked at NES / SNES figures for Europe? Also being based in Europe kind of helps me to form an accurate picture.

I don't really like your attitude to be honest.

Yeah, loose the Attitude Hakker. *cough permanent ban cough* sorry, I think I'm getting sick.

VGCHARTZ PRESENTS:

BI-WEEKLY LEAGUE
All VGCharterz welcome!!!
PSN: Al_Kickurass, Official Warhawk League Thread!!!-> http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=21937

@ ioi

Most big games are developed in the US / Japan

Europe is huge with regard to games development, some European game development companies:

- Rockstar (Grand Theft Auto)
- Traveller's Tales (Lego Star Wars)
- Crytek (Crysis)
- Criterion (BurnOut)
- UbiSoft (Prince of Persia)
- SCE Studios London (The Getaway)
- SCE Studios Liverpool (WipeOut)
- Codemasters (Colin McRae)
- Evolution Studios (Motorstorm)
- Free Radical (Haze)
- Team 17 (Worms)
- Guerilla Games (Killzone)
- Eden Games (Alone in the Dark)
- Blue Byte (The Settlers)
- Remedy (Alan Wake)

And that's only the tip of the iceberg, for example like Sony Microsoft has Lionhead (working on Fable 2) and Rare (working on Banjo-Kazooie 3) European game studios here.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

@ ioi

OK, just wanted to point out Europe is huge with regard to games development, Serious Sam, Tomb Raider, GoldenEye, Project Gotham, Hitman, Populous, Max Payne, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Black & White, Operation Flashpoint, etc, etc, all games by European games developers. People underestimate this far too often.

I believe maybe up to 90% of Commodore 64 and Amiga games were designed in Europe.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:
@ ioi

OK, just wanted to point out Europe is huge with regard to games development, ....

This was part of my message in my original post, too. Europe could be a bit more represented on the site.

Certainly, it's more difficult to get the european numbers etc, but this is where I hope improvement would be done.

Lost my faith in VGChartz. Too many stupid and ignorant Americans, even as moderators.

It's a shame, really. "The Boss" should do something radical about this Americanization, but it seems hardly feasible, so my days here are numbered.

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ ioi

OK, just wanted to point out Europe is huge with regard to games development, Serious Sam, Tomb Raider, GoldenEye, Project Gotham, Hitman, Populous, Max Payne, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, Black & White, Operation Flashpoint, etc, etc, all games by European games developers. People underestimate this far too often.

I believe maybe up to 90% of Commodore 64 and Amiga games were designed in Europe.

You are right about the developers. But how many is owned by US company or have a US publishers for their games? Nearly all. This is just how the world currently is. In NA, gaming is much more visible in media, than what it is in Europe. So, basically everything makes it's first appearance in USA, since it gives you more advertising and European media, as always, copies its gaming news from US. I have made suggested ioi one feature, that would definately lure europeans, but it would require a lot of work, so we may not see what i suggested.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

There are 45 (or 46 if counting the brand new Kosovo state) in Europe, and there are three unions; EU, Schengen and EØS.
This makes it a big but seggregated region to keep track of, and there are very different bussiness practices inside our outside of Eu, even as far as analysis and tracking is concerned.
Freshly added EU countries (Slovenia, Slovakia) will have a crossbreed bussiness model, adding more tangle to the thread.
Based on all this, the Europe/Others data is as good as it gets on a public tracking site, there are very few companies which can provide valid and solid data from all of Europe in one fell swoop, believe me.
The only one that srprings to mind now is ESA (European Statistics Agency), and even they have no portrayal of games in their analysis, at least not to the extent that ioi would need for full coverage.

With the above in mind; please bear over with Vgchartz numbers. And this comes from a European citizen as well.

Oops ignore this :|