By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Made The Biggest Leap of The Big Three With Wii U

fps_d0minat0r said:

wow... ok.

any more new characteristics you would like to add to your home made definition of 'generation'?

Any more ways you'd like to try to get around the fact that PS3/360 are now last gen?

Around the Network

This whole thread is pointless arguing over semantics. Everyone's made their case, let the games speak for themselves.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

curl-6 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

wow... ok.

any more new characteristics you would like to add to your home made definition of 'generation'?

Any more ways you'd like to try to get around the fact that PS3/360 are now last gen?

I never had a problem with them being classified as 'last gen', I just just didnt agree it was a valid reason to assume they are dead or that their sales no longer matter.

Longevity is a factor people consider when buying consoles, and its important that console manufacturers make this a part of their brand image. Thats why the PS4 is doing so well despite its arguably weak lineup of games. People know the good games will eventually come.

Thanks for clarifying your definition of 'generation', atleast now I know why we dont agree.

I will standby my definition of generations which start on day 1 and end on an official discontinuation statement (independent of other products its manufacturer may launch). I have no problem accepting multiple generations co-existing, because it brings more choice to the market, for gamers when it comes to HW and SW, as well as developers, publishers and retailers.

Maybe next year or the year after nintendo might launch a new system and call it 'next gen', that doesnt mean the PS4 and X1 wont count anymore because they will be 'last gen'

fps_d0minat0r said:
curl-6 said:
fps_d0minat0r said:

wow... ok.

I never had a problem with them being classified as 'last gen', I just just didnt agree it was a valid reason to assume they are dead or that their sales no longer matter.

Longevity is a factor people consider when buying consoles, and its important that console manufacturers make this a part of their brand image. Thats why the PS4 is doing so well despite its arguably weak lineup of games. People know the good games will eventually come.

Thanks for clarifying your definition of 'generation', atleast now I know why we dont agree.

I will standby my definition of generations which start on day 1 and end on an official discontinuation statement (independent of other products its manufacturer may launch). I have no problem accepting multiple generations co-existing, because it brings more choice to the market, for gamers when it comes to HW and SW, as well as developers, publishers and retailers.

Maybe next year or the year after nintendo might launch a new system and call it 'next gen', that doesnt mean the PS4 and X1 wont count anymore because they will be 'last gen'

And I stand by mine. If the 7th gen was still counting, it wouldn't be "last gen" it would still be "current".

Agreeing to disagree seems the only logical outcome here.

"next-gen", "last-gen", "current-gen"

"Namen sind Schall und Rauch", how Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said so appropriate in "Faust".

"names are sound and smoke", which means "names are hollow words" or "the name of an object/subject is irrelevant, it doesn't change its characteristics".

Around the Network
Conina said:

"Namen sind Schall und Rauch", how Johann Wolfgang von Goethe said so appropriate in "Faust".

"names are sound and smoke", which means "names are hollow words" or "the name of an object/subject is irrelevant, it doesn't change its characteristics".

So last year isn't over because "last year" is just a name?

curl-6 said:
Conina said:

A year is no name, it is a precise time frame: " The period of time during which Earth completes a single revolution around the sun, consisting of 365 days, 5 hours, 49 minutes, and 12 seconds of mean solar time."

Beginning and end of the year depend on the calendar used, but the duration keeps the same (besides minor adaptions like leap years for conveniance).

Conina said:
curl-6 said:
Conina said:

A year is no name, it is a precise time frame: " The period of time during which Earth completes a single revolution around the sun, consisting of 365 days, 5 hours, 49 minutes, and 12 seconds of mean solar time."

Beginning and end of the year depend on the calendar used, but the duration keeps the same.

Last gen isn't just a name either; it's the designation for a period of consoles that has ended.

curl-6 said:
Conina said:
curl-6 said:

Beginning and end of the year depend on the calendar used, but the duration keeps the same.

Last gen isn't just a name either; it's the designation for a period of consoles that has ended.

But you are still the only one claiming that it has ended automatically with the start of another generation.

Conina said:
curl-6 said:
Conina said:
curl-6 said:

But you are still the only one claiming that it has ended automatically with the start of another generation.

Last week is over.

Last month is over.

Last year is over.

Last gen is over.