By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One price-cuts incoming - To match PS4's

DonFerrari said:
JoeFlex said:
Given Sony's level of preparation, it would be interesting if they managed to drive costs down (somehow) and responded with a price cut to keep their edge going.

Like they never cut price, right?

*fixed*

I'm referring to them being able to cut their price in a very short period of time in a sustainable way in order to counter MS, assuming this "report" is true.

Around the Network

you know what is funny about this thread and this gen in general? The complete reversal of last gen.

Last gen, you had sony fans talking about future price cuts that would push the ps3 into first place or at least past the 360 and then you had MS fans downplaying the effect of price cuts.... and now everything is backwards

padib said:
This will make a big difference. I know for me 400$ is unthinkable. 300$, much less.

Of course this will make a big difference. Price is the only thing holding the system back and they know it.

JoeFlex said:
DonFerrari said:
JoeFlex said:
Given Sony's level of preparation, it would be interesting if they managed to drive costs down (somehow) and responded with a price cut to keep their edge going.

*fixed*

I'm referring to them being able to cut their price in a very short period of time in a sustainable way in order to counter MS, assuming this "report" is true.

As already posted, Sony cut the price by US$100,00 basiically for 3 years in a row (and took a big financial hit for it), but yes they could cut strongly if needed, but I really doubt Sony and MS will play a cut price war... Sony cutted because it had poor sales and knew the console wasn't interesting/affordable to a lot of people at the time, not because MS was selling better (and that is why MS didn't cut as much, because they were satisfied with their selling rate and profit margins). Unless MS is obligated to cut because of poooooor sales them I don't see them doing it, and Sony would answer with a cut just if MS rise took to much from them, after all both are in the bussiness for the money not the numbers.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

gergroy said:
you know what is funny about this thread and this gen in general? The complete reversal of last gen.

Last gen, you had sony fans talking about future price cuts that would push the ps3 into first place or at least past the 360 and then you had MS fans downplaying the effect of price cuts.... and now everything is backwards

Last gen Sony price-cuts were heavily influenced by Blu-Ray drive prices dropping, to the point those now cost ~$25.

That was a clearly forseeable process, once Blu-Ray 'won' the format war especially.

MS doesn't have any process like that helping it to disproportionatly lower it's price.

As long as they keep bundling Kinect, they will be proportionately LESS able to drop price,

as camera HW isn't subject to process improvements like RAM, CPU are.

If MS does drop Kinect bundling, then they could plausibly drop the price to meet/beat Sony's price.

Although note that Sony just bought a memory producer which they will likely be using for GDDR, so the $ differential there is muted.

Around the Network
JoeFlex said:
DonFerrari said:
JoeFlex said:

*fixed*

Why the hell would Sony drop the PS4 price? It's the hottest game console and you can't find them anywhere. It has a solid lead over the Xbone and will only get bigger.

unless its a $100 less than ps4 its not gonna make a damn difference in the sales war, if its the same price then what are they gonna due about the multiplats that are running at a much lower resolution and frame rate?

Play Me

Why are people acting like the Xbox One is selling badly? If it drops to Wii U levels then yeah they could do a price drop, but as of right now it's not really needed.

This is good, drop the kinect and undercut Sony.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Vasto said:
padib said:
This will make a big difference. I know for me 400$ is unthinkable. 300$, much less.

Of course this will make a big difference. Price is the only thing holding the system back and they know it.

Is that what you really think?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.