By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pachter on Disc-less x1 - One of the dumbest ideas ever

http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/30/xbox-one-disc-free-console-analyst-weighs-in-on-rumor/

Last night, a rumor surfaced that Microsoft was preparing to release a white 1TB Xbox One at retail, without a disc drive. Today, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has called the idea “dumb, dumb, dumb,” yet has also dismissed it as a complete rumor.

Speaking in an industry note, Pachter said if even true in the slightest, it would alienate not only retailer customers, but comsumers as well.

“If this rumor is true, it is one of the dumbest ideas of all time,” he said. “It would alienate GameStop and other retailers, and it would demonstrate that Microsoft can afford to release a 1TB Xbox One at $399 with essentially the same production cost as the $499 model with a 500GB HDD and a Blu-ray drive.

“That would likely cause gamers to believe that the model with a Blu-ray drive is overpriced, or would cause them to believe that Microsoft is greedy.

“I have three words for this idea—dumb, dumb, dumb.”

Pachter said he respects the people at Microsoft “immensely” and that they are “far from dumb.”

“I don’t actually believe the rumor,” he stated.

Rumors of the console were posted on both The Verge and NeoGAF last night, with the later’s source stating the console could launch as soon as October.

MY TAKE:

I agree, hope it isn't true as when I heard it I also thought the same thing dumb idea. Won't move many units either.

Around the Network

I don't believe it too.

He has a point because just removing the disk drive is not a big cost saving.. They are $25 a pop maybe less because of bulk. So how is that saving and increasing the size of the hard disk going to allow MS to sell it at $399... the rumour makes no sense.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:

He has a point because just removing the disk drive is not a big cost saving.. They are $25 a pop maybe less because of bulk. So how is that saving and increasing the size of the hard disk going to allow MS to sell it at $399... the rumour makes no sense.

The saving on each unit is small but every software sell will generate more profit because retailer won't take a cut on those.

its an option so who cares yes if the diskless version was the only one then yeah stupid idea but with it just being an option I see no problem with it

Around the Network

I don't see a problem in it, I think it may still be a little early for sure things but everything is going to be digital only one day.

The disc-less Xbox 360 makes more sense but an X1? I can't believe, I'm saying this but I would agree with Mr Jinx on this one.

I don´t think the rumor is accurated.

But a discless consoles is about to happen throughout this generation.

This is why leaks are bad for the industry. They stop innovation and possibilities in their tracks. This happens all the time in the film industry; an actor is leaked to play a big role and because of backlash - the studios back down on their decision. Things like this can hurt Microsoft.

But yeah.. if a disk-less portable failed; I don't see a disk-less home console succeeding...

A disk-less Xbox One would be in line with their original "vision" for the Xbox One with the DRM.

He's just trying to intimidate them. I think it's a great idea!