Forums - Nintendo Discussion - DS support confirmed for Wii U Virtual Console

DS support on WiiU

YEEEEEAHH !!! 144 76.19%

... and ? 33 17.46%

BUHHHHH!!! 12 6.35%

Total:189
osed125 said:
Xen said:
I don't see what all the excitement is about. It's just a thing that emulators can do. Just get a flashcart to rip your DS games... or hell, download them... as long as you actually own them.

With heavy filtering and other options offered on PC, they look good and play easy...

You can say the same for every console that's on VC. That hasn't stop people from buying games.

And that is exactly what I think of the VC.

Sadly, that hasn't stopped people from buying the more common games.

Around the Network

MentalAlliance said:

That's awesome! But didn't they also announce way back that they'd do GBA VC on Wii U. Not to mention N64 and GC support should be there too and 3DS should get DS and GBA support (fully) as well. Also, a LOT more games need to come to VC for the platforms that are already supported on 3DS and Wii U.

GC emulation is still probably causing them issues. Till this day dolphin still doesn't run things 100%. Audio is a huge issue for one. And PC's are several times faster than Wii U.

but the wii u isnt so far away from the gc. i  think the problem is the wii us lack of hdd. gc games are much bigger than other older games.

Xen said:
osed125 said:

You can say the same for every console that's on VC. That hasn't stop people from buying games.

I'm pro emulation, but I don't see anything wrong with people buying games legally throw the eshop.

A lot of gamers are against emulation, so this a great option for them, so I don't see why this is sad.

Nintendo and PC gamer

osed125 said:
Xen said:
osed125 said:

I'm pro emulation, but I don't see anything wrong with people buying games legally throw the eshop.

A lot of gamers are against emulation, so this a great option for them, so I don't see why this is sad.

If you're into retro gaming, why not pick it up physically? Very frequently that's cheaper to do, or the same price. For the common games, anyway. The rarer stuff, yeah... could be pretty expensive.

Xen said:
osed125 said:

If you're into retro gaming, why not pick it up physically? Very frequently that's cheaper to do, or the same price. For the common games, anyway. The rarer stuff, yeah... could be pretty expensive.

1) You might not own the console.

2) Is just easier to get the games. Don't have to buy it on ebay and wait for it to ship, nor do you have to get out of your house to buy it in a store. Unless you really really want the cartridges, is just easier to buy them online.

I don't know much about retro gaming, but prices on ebay can get really high on some games, so in the end is just cheaper to have standard price for all the games, to get something extremely cheap would be something like a flee market, and that's a chore to a lot of people.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
Xen said:
osed125 said:

1) You may not own the console.

2) Is just easier to get the games. Don't have to buy it on ebay and wait for it to ship, nor do you have to get out of your house to buy it in a store. Unless you really really want the cartridges, is just easier to buy them online.

I don't know much about retro gaming, but prices on ebay can get really high on some games, so in the end is just cheaper to have standard price for all the games, to get something extremely cheap would be something like a flee market, and that's a chore to a lot of people.

You're spot on @ convenience. But honestly, most people who have held a cartridge recently should prefer that weighty and slick, at least the Genesis ones.

Ebay can get nonsensically expensive with the rarer stuff, though. But it's still easy to build a collection like that, at least I managed to for my Genesis (the system is like $40 on ebay, too).

I don't like this because they are just creating a backlog of systems they promised us (N64, GBA, now DS). What they should have done is had some games ready before they made the annoucement. Then the day after the conference, you could have New Super Mario Bros. or some other huge title to start things off. Instead, we're still at one title per console this week (even though LTTP is a great one) and we have no clue when this will actually happen. It might not even be this year for all we know.

I don't think GC is necessary. It would probably be better to instead remaster some more titles in HD. Then you could have N64 and DS for the Wii U and GBA for 3DS (or both). No one would be complaining too much about GC if that happened and actually happened in this decade.

ktay95 said:
MentalAlliance said:

GC emulation is still probably causing them issues. Till this day dolphin still doesn't run things 100%. Audio is a huge issue for one. And PC's are several times faster than Wii U.

Yeah, possibly. I also saw someone elses comment about the triggers that seems like a possible reason why GC would be difficult to support on VC.

GC isnt really needed yet, maybe on the successor to the WiiU sure but for now I think a few HD remakes/ collections throughout the gen should do. Just make sure the rest of the VC is solid and not the complete joke it currently is

Well the joke part is the fact Nitendo has a stick up its rear, and thinks it's good to hold stuff back. Wii is long over with. Did they ever release every good first part VC game on it? Within the 6 year time limit, no. They totally wasted those 6 years in spacing crap out. So a lot of things aren't avaible. Not to mention this big issue. WTF can't I just use VC games I bought, on my 3DS or Wii U, on either console. Seriously, BS. I had coins to blown in the club Nintendo website. But couldn't use them since the games they picked only ran on freaking Wii U. When they release their games on the shop. The game should be working on BOTH systems out of the gate. But they seem to want us to waste money in buying things 2 times. I I get why I'd have to buy the thing over with Wii to Wii U (even that is a lame stretch). But not both current systems they offer.

archer9234 said:

That wouldn't surprise me at all.  Software emulation can be surprisingly difficult, and I am sure that Nintendo are perfectionists about getting the games running correctly.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)