By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo: “We Haven’t Been Targeting Children Enough” Update: Beware semantics

ninetailschris said:
He is right. Families and children are nintendo biggest market. The problem they made was in the beginning trying to attract the 18-32 year old. Nintendo ips tend to natural draw kids and families.

Well no. Not every adult wants to be nostalgic to the games of their youth. Many want the maturity, whether it be in-depth storylines and yes, the violence that soemtimes comes with it.

Every Nintendo IP caters to the children 1st and foremost. So you could imagine the absurdity of this statement.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

I saw the Wii U advertised on TV twice (I was abroad, nobody knows it exists here, and I'm quite sure there's no official distribution for it).
Both times it was an ad aimed at kids.

Oh, Iwata.

ninetailschris said:
He is right. Families and children are nintendo biggest market. The problem they made was in the beginning trying to attract the 18-32 year old. Nintendo ips tend to natural draw kids and families.

Dude the Wii U is the most child friendly console of all of the brands, still. Its not phasing children when wall they want is COD these days. Imagine if they jump ship to Titanfall. Oh god..I can just see it now.

ninetailschris said:
Fusioncode said:
It's official, Nintendo is completely clueless.

How? This isn't only directed to you but everyone. Coming by and dropping the "facepalm" or "clueless" doesn't say anything but the inability to form an argument. 

The fact is the strongest sales of games of nintendo systems tend to be family friendly. Back during the GameCube days nintendo made lots of hardcore games, who bought them? Nobody. On wii was metriod selling any units? Nope. GameCube highest software sales were from family games. Get a clue guys he objectivly screwed up by not releasing games in the beginning that marketed to this. His job should been to get some of the market of the wii. Which should have been a 250 system with family games like mario kart. 

Its like you guys think only one type of market exist and if you  don't follow it you have no market. This why you are not qualified to run a business because you guys have narrow view of business.

Because they've been doing nothing BUT targeting children. Have you seen the recent WiiU ads? Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bso27e3Inzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsbeQeiwW9o

Nintendo has a huge image problem in that they're seen as the "kiddie" console. Microsoft and Sony have done a great job over the years by making Nintendo's platform seem like something only children should buy. How many teenagers get together to play Call of Duty on their WiiUs?  The big N hasn't exactly done a lot to fix their imaging problem. Marketing primarily to kids is a stupid idea considering kids are getting more and more into smartphones and tablets. The WiiU won't be able to survive with just kids buying it. 

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Please tell me this is satire.

Nintendo, this is in no way, shape or form the problem.

Around the Network
Fusioncode said:
ninetailschris said:
Fusioncode said:
It's official, Nintendo is completely clueless.

How? This isn't only directed to you but everyone. Coming by and dropping the "facepalm" or "clueless" doesn't say anything but the inability to form an argument. 

The fact is the strongest sales of games of nintendo systems tend to be family friendly. Back during the GameCube days nintendo made lots of hardcore games, who bought them? Nobody. On wii was metriod selling any units? Nope. GameCube highest software sales were from family games. Get a clue guys he objectivly screwed up by not releasing games in the beginning that marketed to this. His job should been to get some of the market of the wii. Which should have been a 250 system with family games like mario kart. 

Its like you guys think only one type of market exist and if you  don't follow it you have no market. This why you are not qualified to run a business because you guys have narrow view of business.

Because they've been doing nothing BUT targeting children. Have you seen the recent WiiU ads? Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bso27e3Inzc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsbeQeiwW9o

Nintendo has a huge image problem in that they're seen as the "kiddie" console. Microsoft and Sony have done a great job over the years by making Nintendo's platform seem like something only children should buy. How many teenagers get together to play Call of Duty on their WiiUs?  The big N hasn't exactly done a lot to fix their imaging problem. Marketing primarily to kids is a stupid idea considering kids are getting more and more into smartphones and tablets. The WiiU won't be able to survive with just kids buying it. 

Heh. The ratings and comments are disabled.. I wonder why.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

Maybe it's a mistranslation of "We haven't persuaded enough children (who can be playing games on mobile now) to buy a Wii U and 3DS."

there are so many jokes running though my head right now, yet i'm left completely speechless..

sales2099 said:
ninetailschris said:

Well no. Not every adult wants to be nostalgic to the games of their youth. Many want the maturity, whether it be in-depth storylines and yes, the violence that soemtimes comes with it.

Every Nintendo IP caters to the children 1st and foremost. So you could imagine the absurdity of this statement.

I'm going to blow your mind. Unless your kid or typical casual person your not the target I am talking about. Your post is not talking about the market I am talking about. Nostalgic implies someone who is out of the market.

The wii was Iwata observation on that the audience you are talking about will never buy a nintendo console even if they release the games. What sold on GameCube was what the wii stood for. They got rid of the fat and were sucessful. The wii u was like they went back into GameCube mode and forgot what made the wii the money.

"Excuse me sir, I see you have a weapon. Why don't you put it down and let's settle this like gentlemen"  ~ max

padib said:
sales2099 said:
ninetailschris said:

He said that adults are not Nintendo's biggest market. What you're saying doesn't invalidate his post. Even if "many" want the maturity and the whole shabang, it doesn't make them any bigger a market for Nintendo, as the IPs naturally attract a more familial crowd in general.

That is the thing.....all WiiU released that came from Nintendo is children friendly. Hence why many of us are at a loss for words.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.