By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Americans prefer Microsoft over Sony ??

The CoD/Madden/Doritos/Mt.Dew crowd prefers XBox. That is a very big chunk for the US gaming market.

Around the Network
OttoniBastos said:
Goatseye said:
OttoniBastos said:
Goatseye said:
OttoniBastos said:
They don't! The difference though is that microsoft focus on USA with their marketing,deals and genre of games(shooter mostly) while Sony have a more WW approach.

Microsoft Shooters:

Halo and Gears.

Sony Shooters:

Haze, Resistance, Killzone, MAG, Uncharted, The Order, etc...

I was talking about FPS uncharted and the order are TPS.

Plus none of sony's FPS are as big as HALO or Gears.

American gamers play FPS the most and MS biggest exclusives are FPS.Plus they made Xbox brand "the house of COD" like spencer said some time ago.

First Person Shooter= Halo, Haze, Resistance, Killzone, MAG

Third Person Shooter= Gears, Uncharted, The Order,

Microsoft publishes only ONE FPS. Halo.

Gears is not an FPS Ottoni.

You talking about quantity i'm talking about popularity here!

The Xbox brand is Shooter related, PS don't!

Shooters tends to have bigger attach rates on Xbox than PS cause if you're american and you like shooters,chances are you will buy an Xbox.The same apllies to jRPG and playstation.Yes shooter do sell well on playstation,but mostly thanks to sonyland and ROW.

I think Xbox became big amongst FPS fans because it just had a better controller for the genre (PS3 styled L1/R1 shooting just felt wrong) and a better online network at the time.

All just a theory, tho.

walsufnir said:
MS hypnotizes the poor people in US and makes them buy the Xbox.

Oh now i understand why Europe is treating Sony the way it does!

spurgeonryan said:
Because to this day I have still not seen a PS4 commercial.

X1 is everywhere and it is awesome! Even saying that though, didn't the PS4 still beat out the X1 or has the 1 caught up?

Plus everyone has a 360. What would you expect? I do not know anyone with a PS3 as far as I can remember. Not trying to be extreme or rude. I just do not.

Halo was the start I think, then the community got big and everyone stayed with COD and other games.

hey spurge. you've been in a box if you haven't seen a PS4 commercial.

OP: Sony damaged their brand last gen., and with it alot of loyalist. all it takes is one game to turn the tied. also, MS locked up COD and Halo is owned by them, and are 2 of the biggest IP on american shores aside from GTA.

if Sony were to git some JRPG's. westerners are always looking for JRPG's on Sony home consoles, which even in small numbers could keep Sony ahead in the U.S.

also, Americans like the smell of failure. 360 failure rate, 360 failure to create in house exclusives in favor of bying 3rd party timed exclusives, 360 failure to hold 1st place from Wii, and 2nd from Sony, and the failure of The 1.

They don't.I don't know a single person who owns an X1.They bought the 360 for price and hype.

Around the Network
Leadified said:
gooch_destroyer said:
Leadified said:

There's been quite a few odd necros today.

Yeah..? Let me look...

Here's one http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=144252&page=4. The gameroom thread came up again, it's a few pages back now, this thread of course and a few minor ones from earlier this month.

i guse people are forgeting to search before posting threads. we use to be good at this. quality has really dropped off, but i know what the problem is.

90% of the content goes into theofficial threads, so  people forget theres a need to search the site before creating a thread.

or not lol.

BHR-3 said:
halo
forza
gears
l4d
dead rising
alan wake
quantum break
maxpayne (originally xbox exclusive)

while the others focus on jrpgs and games catered to teenagers

also MS is an american company

None of those games are relevant except Halo.See how Forza sales compare to a collection of old games.Gears and Halo are the only popular Xbox games.

sony has mainland europe, microsoft may eventually have na/uk and nintendo has japan.

basically this cycle will determine which market is best to have a handle on. unfortunately for nintendo, japan doesn't do much for home consoles (but does a heck of a lot for handhelds). so basically it's shaping up to be europe [ps4] vs. america (and its british protectorate) [xbone].

GribbleGrunger said:

If I saw proof that the XBox is more popular than the PS brand in America then perhaps we can talk. What I have so far is:

PS2 beat Xbox brand in America

Xbox brand beat the PS3 in America

PS4 is beating the Xbox brand in America.

So, I'm uncertain on what foundation you're basing this supposed 'preference' on. I think it's clear that Sony are more popular than Microsoft in America when it comes to consoles.

To say PS2 beat Xbox brand in America is a bit off as Xbox brand came way later than the PS brand to US. Not to say PS2 also launched earlier than the OG Xbox.

MrChaos said:
They don't.I don't know a single person who owns an X1.They bought the 360 for price and hype.

Right.  The whole generation boiled down to price and hype.  Games didn't matter for that 8 year cycle.