By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do Americans prefer Microsoft over Sony ??

Goatseye said:
ijustlikegames:) said:
I wish I knew the answer to this question. So many issues with the Xbox brand I really don't understand why it is preferred. I used to like both but Xbox has tried very hard to get me to hate it and they have succeeded, idk why so many Americans still are obsessed with it.

More and better competitive games maybe?

Eh if you say so

Around the Network
Goatseye said:
OttoniBastos said:
They don't! The difference though is that microsoft focus on USA with their marketing,deals and genre of games(shooter mostly) while Sony have a more WW approach.

Microsoft Shooters:

Halo and Gears.

Sony Shooters:

Haze, Resistance, Killzone, MAG, Uncharted, The Order, etc...

I was talking about FPS uncharted and the order are TPS.

Plus none of sony's FPS are as big as HALO or Gears.

American gamers play FPS the most and MS biggest exclusives are FPS.Plus they made Xbox brand "the house of COD" like spencer said some time ago.

OttoniBastos said:
Goatseye said:
OttoniBastos said:
They don't! The difference though is that microsoft focus on USA with their marketing,deals and genre of games(shooter mostly) while Sony have a more WW approach.

Microsoft Shooters:

Halo and Gears.

Sony Shooters:

American gamers play FPS the most and MS biggest exclusives are FPS.Plus they made Xbox brand "the house of COD" like spencer said some time ago.

First Person Shooter= Halo, Haze, Resistance, Killzone, MAG

Third Person Shooter= Gears, Uncharted, The Order,

Microsoft publishes only ONE FPS. Halo.

Gears is not an FPS Ottoni.

Americans don't prefer it... As an American (at least in my age range) no one has ever bought a Xbox because it's an American brand. The average American doesn't really give a shit about the system they get -as long as it's the most popular, they'll have it. My casual friends who own a 360 also have Wii's and PS2's and DS's. The MS brand isn't special to Americans, it is just the "cool" brand at the moment... which isnt really the case since the PS4 is the "cool" system here at the moment. However, MS has been heavily advertising the X1 lately.

But no, Americans arent brand loyal. They dont care who they buy from. Americans arent conspiring to avoid the "oh-so-perfect" Japanese brands XD Im not a fan of MS, but I dont see why it is such a big deal that theyre popular in one region. Bit of a ridiculous accusation

Goatseye said:
OttoniBastos said:
Goatseye said:
OttoniBastos said:

Microsoft Shooters:

Halo and Gears.

Sony Shooters:

First Person Shooter= Halo, Haze, Resistance, Killzone, MAG

Third Person Shooter= Gears, Uncharted, The Order,

Microsoft publishes only ONE FPS. Halo.

Gears is not an FPS Ottoni.

You talking about quantity i'm talking about popularity here!

The Xbox brand is Shooter related, PS don't!

Shooters tends to have bigger attach rates on Xbox than PS cause if you're american and you like shooters,chances are you will buy an Xbox.The same apllies to jRPG and playstation.Yes shooter do sell well on playstation,but mostly thanks to sonyland and ROW.

Around the Network
Viltgance said:

Sony has been closing the gap over the recent years but North Americans seem to still prefer xbox one/360 over the competition.  Even after the terrible unveiling and the PR fiasco it's still neck and neck in North America.   I kinda scratch my head at this cause the rest of the world seems to still hold their grudge with Microsoft according to sales numbers.  Why is this?

You are from Canada.  You speak for the rest of the world.  I'm pretty sure Xbox is popular in Canada so why are you singling out the US?   

I'm from the United States and everything here is made in China. Look at anything in our stores and in our homes. There is a pressed logo, a tag, or a sticker that says "MADE IN CHINA".

Use to be back in the 60's through the 70's we could buy a brand new car for $2,000. to $3,000.
Now we pay $20,000 to $50,000 for a car and blame inflation. Even though minimum wage has tripled to come out to be $5.25 an hour now.

Now we have Microsoft. Our Country is in dept. It's the golden age of internet. Yet we can't seem to see what is going on with the rest of the world. In a way like China, our information we take in, our media. It has persways us in a reformative way.

We have tons of Xbox advertisements. They buy the best shelf spaces. It has signs and spammed everywhere!
It even deviantly uses psycho-conditioning with their products. The green used by Xbox is actually a marketing advantage. Their research showed that color to grab attention and give a calming sensation there-for it sells alot.

As an American I find it troubling that Americans aren't more patriotic when it comes to these things. We need to buy more American based products to help bolster our economy. We help other countries out by buying their products more so than any other country. If we looked for American based company first we would be benefiting our Country as a whole to a far greater extent than we already do. 

Riding Mower...Our minimum wage is 7.25 not 5.25.

Minimum is already above that in many states...

Agreed with shloob and I'm puertorican. Imagine if americans would be loyal to their brands like the Japanese and Koreans are to theirs...

I have two friends with an XB1. They felt the need to explain their purchase without prompting - one was almost apologetic, and to this day moans about how none of his friends have an XB1 to play with...but "I just love the Xbox brand I guess, and I love the franchises...Halo, Gears...". The other is fairly casual, just bought it because it was cheap and is "just as powerful as PS4.".

Everyone else in my circle is either on PS4 or too casual to care about the new systems, many of the PS4 owners gamed primarily on 360 last gen.

My guess, based on my observations, is:
#3 - Gamerscore, and to a lesser extent, friends list.
#2 - Loyalty to MS franchises (Halo, Fable, Gears, Forza)
#1 - it's cheaper. A month where MS isn't mired in a flurry of incentives and discounts is abberant now.