By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I went to Best Buy yesterday....

People lead us to believe that the Xbox One wasn't selling by posting random pictures of boxes, but NPD proved them wrong.

Around the Network

The sales guy at my Best Buy says they sell about the same number of PS4 and XB1, give or take a couple, but they sell all the PS4 on Sunday when they come in, and the XB1 just sells steady all week with no supply issues. If people had to show up at a certain time or place to get the XB1 they probably would, but there's no real reason to.

But if they sell the same amount, what difference does it make at this point in the gen? I really don't think anyone is walking into a store wanting an Xbox and then saying "Oh there's too many of them on the shelf. I better not buy it."

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

waltz said:
amazing never thought the ps4 would be the dominant in north america guess i was wrong

How is being outsold by a small margin "dominating"?

We have no idea what the demand is beyond the first few million units.  Take a One Direction concert at  you locla arena.  The first 20,000 tickets sell out in 5 minutes.  It doesn't mean that they could sell an indefinite number of tickets for that show.  (Otherwise they would play giant football stadiums every night or play the same arena for a week straight).  We don't know that there are 10 million cutomers in NA that would buy a PS4 if only the supply were there.  Might be.  But it might be supply +10k instead of supply +10M/  (It's somewhere in between, obviously, but you get the point.)

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

iceboy151 said:
BMaker11 said:
iceboy151 said:
pbroy said:
That's Best Buy's problem. If they hid those 50 Xbones in the back, people would think they are in high demand too and want to buy one. Create some demand by not showing. People ain't going to buy an Xbone any time soon if they see that. They can get one any time they want.

That's stupid if people actually think that way.

Not really. For example, if you were told there wasn't gonna be much gasoline available after tomorrow, what would you do? You'd fill up your tank and probably a few gas cans as well.

Problem, though, is the XBone is not a commodity, but rather, a luxury item. I got a PS4 because I wanted it right now, so I seized the opportunity. If there were a stack of PS4s akin to the XBone, I'd still get a PS4 because I wanted one right now. I'm not gonna wait until there's only a few left and go "well, I better go get one now" (although, technically that was the case....but I didn't wait for it to get to that point. I called as soon as I saw the thread on VGC that said BB had stock, and that store just so happened to only have 3 left at the time). If people want XBones right now, they aren't gonna wait until it looks like they won't be able to get one. They're gonna go to the store, see an XBone in stock, then buy it.

You didn't prove you're point with this reply. So if people walk into a store and see a stack of PS4s, and no X1s, that would make them want a X1? 

Sure I did. pbroy said that they should hide XBones to make it look like they're in high demand, so people buy them up thinking they won't get them later. You said that that was dumb.

Then I said that it's not really true about hiding objects to give the illusion of demand and then gave you the gasoline example.

I then said that this doesn't work for consoles. When I said "not really", I was addressing the artificial demand suggestion more so than the XBone itself. That's why I brought up the point that the XBone isn't a commodity. Meaning that people aren't inclined to buy it just because there appears to be less of it. 

I guess I was replying to the both of you, telling pbroy that his suggestion doesn't work in this case but also telling you that artificial demand (in some instances, such as gas) would work for selling a product. 

TL;DR Commodity vs. luxury

Are people still doing this? After 2 months? How many times is MS gonna have to prove that they're selling systems? We get it, there's more X1 supply shipped to stores than PS4.

Around the Network
Nsanity said:
People lead us to believe that the Xbox One wasn't selling by posting random pictures of boxes, but NPD proved them wrong.

How?

A console with overshipped supply sold 40k units more than a consoles heavily supply constrained.

I think NPD just proved the oposite... proved them right.

ethomaz said:
Nsanity said:

How?

A console with overshipped supply sold 40k units more than a consoles heavily supply constrained.

I think NPD just proved the oposite... proved them right.

The best selling console this month according to NPD was the Xbox One, not your PS4.

Nsanity said:

The best selling console this month according to NPD was the Xbox One, not your PS4.

That what I wrote... my PS4 is one unit alone... a console with supply in all US sold 40k more than a console SOLD OUT in all US.

Funny bucause it goes against what your claims

ListerOfSmeg said:

To me the biggest thing to take away from all of this was that within 24hours of buying a PS4 you were already so bored with it that you spent time away from it, to spend time focusing on something you don't like.

Excellent point as always, Smeggy. Anyone who does anything other than play video games within 24 hours of getting a new system obviously doesn't enjoy it.

Something is clearly very wrong with the PS4.

ethomaz said:

Nsanity said:

That what I wrote... my PS4 is one unit alone... a console with supply in all US sold 40k more than a console SOLD OUT in all US.

Funny bucause it goes against what your claims

What's even more funnier is the console that sold less hardware has sold more software:

Some good #NPD SW facts: #XboxOne YTD 2013: 4.8M retail games vs. 4.2M for PS4. COD & BF4 both sold better on #XboxOne.