By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So I went to Best Buy yesterday....

oldschoolfool said:
-CraZed- said:
pbroy said:
drkohler said:
pbroy said:
iceboy151 said:
pbroy said:
That's Best Buy's problem. If they hid those 50 Xbones in the back, people would think they are in high demand too and want to buy one. Create some demand by not showing. People ain't going to buy an Xbone any time soon if they see that. They can get one any time they want.

That's stupid if people actually think that way.

Explain. Tell me how anyone would want to buy an Xbone if they saw that stack. If there was one or two consoles on the shelf, I would be more inclined to want to snag one up, before they sell out. I wouldn't know there are 100 or so in the back.

So when you see two washing machines in a store, you snag one up because they could sell out??? I can't quite follow your logic here..

If someone was looking for an washing machine and it fit what they wanted out of it, then fuck yes. I've actually shopped around for washing machines before and they go out of stock quick because they carry low quantities of each model. Supply can create demand.

You guys aren't accounting for spur of the moment shoppers. People who don't come in there with an agenda to buy right away. But of course everything is stupid, if it doesn't follow your own way of thinking or logic.

The problem is your logic assumes that there is this critical mass of "impulse" buyers when there is not. Sure you might find a few here or there but at $400-500 the amount of impulse buying too limited for that type of sales tactic to work. Especially after a few months of being out on the open market.

Besides what would Best Buy have to gain by holding back PS4 units off the display floor over the XB1? Sony paying off Best Buy?

why not? everything is a conspiracy these days.

Conspiracy theory makes the Earth go 'round.

Around the Network

I went to my local Walmart a couple days ago, and they had 10 Xbox 1's, 6 WiiU's, and 0 PS4's.

Edit: Average sized Walmart in Metro Vancouver, Canada. If anyone cares.

8th gen predictions. (made early 2014)
PS4: 60-65m
WiiU: 30-35m
X1: 30-35m
3DS: 80-85m
PSV: 15-20m

pbroy said:
That's Best Buy's problem. If they hid those 50 Xbones in the back, people would think they are in high demand too and want to buy one. Create some demand by not showing. People ain't going to buy an Xbone any time soon if they see that. They can get one any time they want.

You could go tell that to the other stores that has Xbones stacked up then. Maybe they'll sell.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

$499 price tag, plain and simple. How M$ could be this dumb and make the same mistake Sony made last gen is beyond me.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
$499 price tag, plain and simple. How M$ could be this dumb and make the same mistake Sony made last gen is beyond me.

they'll probably drop the price in six months. Just my guess.

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:

I saw the thread that said PS4s were in stock at Best Buy, so I figured, why not try and get one. I called up and asked if they had any in stock, and they said 3. So after I got off work, I rushed there to make sure I could secure one. When I got to Best Buy, this is the first thing I see on the automatic doors

Anyway, I went in and looked for PS4s. Didn't see any. I asked an associate if they had any, and she got another associate to go in the back and he came out with one. The first associate said to me "this was the last one. We don't keep these out on display because they 'just grow legs and walk out on there own' if you know what I mean". Meanwhile, I look up and see this:

Moral of the story: yay, I got a PS4. They don't keep them out because the demand is so high, people would steal them (at least, that's what the associate implied), while conversely, they are basically begging people to buy their XBones.

I don't care if you're one of those "anecdotal evidence means nothing" type of person. It's pretty ridiculous when I call in and there's 3 PS4s left and an hour later 2 of them are already bought and I got the last one, while there's a huge stack of XBones out in the open even though they won't even display PS4s.

Chalk it up as another entry in the "demand of each console" discussions

Same thing happened to me except it was 1 PS4 left and it was gone in 15 minutes.  Meanwhile piles of Xbox Ones.  It's not just you man.  Once Japan launches the PS4 is gonna be selling over 2:1 on a weakly basis.  Mark my words...

NightDragon83 said:

LOL it's worse.  At least the PS3 had Blueray, 60GB, Wifi, and more horsepower...

ListerOfSmeg said:

To be honest I find your story to be exaggerated. Best Buy has most things tagged so nobody is going to walk out of the store with anything especially the size of a PS4, so I do not see why the associate would even suggest something like that. It just comes off as you trying to take acheap  shot at MS.

To me the biggest thing to take away from all of this was that within 24hours of buying a PS4 you were already so bored with it that you spent time away from it, to spend time focusing on something you don't like.

Second part of that is pretty funny. Console wars get too petty.

Wow, I never find that many X1's on display at any store here. Maybe they just keep all the stock in the back. The most X1's I've ever seen on display was in Walmart in December. They had around 10 X1's on display and they were all gone when I checked after a few days. Now I hardly see X1's on display though so MS isn't shipping enough here. 
PS4's have become quite rare though. Surprisingly in November I saw a few in some stores, but I haven't seen one since. This tells me that Sony aren't producing and shipping enough.

Also, those X1's don't look very safe up their in your photo! That many X1's must be so heavy and could break the shelf. Or even worse. the boxes piled up behind them could fall on to the X1's. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Let me be the first one to congratulate you on your purchase, since everyone else focused on the console wars

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!