By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardware does matter! (hear me out)

Hardware does matter? Of course it does. As many have already pointed out, there wouldn't be any console generations if hardware didn't matter, and we would all still be playing our games on a NES.

The real question is: Is hardware the main driver for console sales?
We only have to look at the PS2, Wii & 3DS to know that the answer to that question is no. Hardware has never been the main driver for console sales.

Around the Network
Uabit said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Uabit said:

Then fuck consoles and everyone to the PC to play Full HD or even 4k and buy cheaper games in Steam Offers. Hardware doesn't matter, if not consoles would be dead long time ago

Whya re peopel buying ps4's then? Why not just play games on PS3?? The entire industry is driven by hardware saying it doesn;t matter is simply fantasy. Most of software sales were games that are on last gen...............

Why did PS2 being a lot less powerful than Gamecube/Xbox sell a lot more consoles? Or Wii being a lot less powerful than X360 and PS3? Innovation and specially games are what matters.

People Get's PS4 because they know soon games are going to stop coming out for PS3/X360 and PS4/Xone are going to have exclusive games. Games are what matters

MAn people are missing the point, no one said hardware ONLY matters but saying it doesn;t is laughable, hardware and specs is criticla to the entire industry without hardware there is no software and vice versa.

160rmf said:
Uabit said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Uabit said:

Then fuck consoles and everyone to the PC to play Full HD or even 4k and buy cheaper games in Steam Offers. Hardware doesn't matter, if not consoles would be dead long time ago

Whya re peopel buying ps4's then? Why not just play games on PS3?? The entire industry is driven by hardware saying it doesn;t matter is simply fantasy. Most of software sales were games that are on last gen...............

Why did PS2 being a lot less powerful than Gamecube/Xbox sell a lot more consoles? Or Wii being a lot less powerful than X360 and PS3? Innovation and specially gams are what matters.

Peope Get's PS4 because they know soon games are going to stop coming out for PS3/X360 and PS4/Xone are going to have exclusive games. Games are what matters

/thread

No not/thread, saying hardware doesnt matter makes zero sense.  Both matter and are critical, without hardware you have nothing to play software on.o determines what devs can and cannot do.

With hardware advances we would not have the large worlds and possibilities we have to with games.

Mystro-Sama said:
Ponyless said:

Oops i thought i copy and pasted the entire comment, my mistake. And limits creativity lol? Have you played 3D world? Probably not seeing your previous comments. Creativity has nothing to do with power lol, play FF13 and compare it to FF6 or FF7 and tell me if you honestly think that still.

You make it sound as if it's just graphics lol Look at games like knack and resogun. They may look simple but current gen consoles can't run them. Too many objects moving in real time. What are you going to tell me now? That knack and resogun aren't creative and original ideas?

I've read some stuff about knack, a reason why it couldn't run on ps3 is because of the multiple partricle effects on Knack's body. IMO the game would still be the same without them wouldn't they be? Or are you telling me knack would be a completely different/inferior game if it didn't have those particle effects on his body. I don't know about resogun so tell me what is it that makes it only work on PS4 and nothing weaker than that?

eyeofcore said:

It does not matter anymore... You can cry, scream, roll, jump all you want and it won't matter. Times has changed, look at 3DS, Vita and Smartphones, look how people are fine with that visuals and games. Heck... People were fine with Wii in 2006 even when no developer ever used all the potential that Wii had.

Stronger hardware means higher expectations in visuals and thus higher costs for developers thus higher chances of a developer going bankrupt and in 7th generation there was like over 100 developers going bankrupt.

Problem is not the hardware(tool/metal), it is the developer(blacksmith)... A good blacksmith will have a sharp(coding) and well balanced(optimizations) sword(engine). Look at Resident Evil Revelations on 3DS, by specs it looks like that kind of visuals are impossible at a glance yet Capcom completely optimized engine for 3DS. Monster Hunter Tri, Tri Ultimate and 4 are examples that you could have a good open world game on 3DS.

If Vita was utilized properly then you would have a decent GTA game on it.

Also I have a questions... So a decade ago there were DirectX 11 a like feature set and effects?

I'm gonna leave this here... if somebody has a counter argument, then do it! i'm begging

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
hinch said:
Of course. If hardware didn't matter we wouldn't get heated debates over this. Developers have shown their distaste at Wii U hardware from their initial testings (DICE, Bethesda, 4A Games etc) and the disparity between different systems can greatly affect whether a game is going to be considered for release on that platform.

It isn't only to do with power though. There are many other factors like; ease of development, SDK's, dealing with hardware, architectures and other tools.

Also, if hardware didn't matter why did millions of gamers out there go out and buy the very same games that are on the PS3/360 with the PS4/s and Xbox Ones. UK hardware sales were in a slump and software down on all counts. And how there's a massive growth with new kit. Why is that? If there isn't anything distinguishing the last generation of hardware why would anyone bother with new consoles?

What about the majority of people that did'nt rush out to buy a new console.    Xbone and PS4 combined have sold about 8 million, which is a big number, but is also only 5 percent of the total number of consoles sold on PS3/360 last gen.    To have long term continued success, you need to have strong software.  Go look at Wii U.  It had a very strong launch with 2.3 million sold in the first 6 weeks and then Nintendo released zero AAA titles until SM3DW in Decemeber and has sold 1.5 million since it came out.    They didnt release one game from January to August, and then came out with a handful of Niche and B-tier games like Pikmin,Wonderful 101, Wii Party U, and a Wind Waker remake.   Let's see what happens as 2014 moves on and Sony does'nt put out software that people want, then their sales could go right down the tubes as well.   Same goes for Microsoft.   

Ponyless said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Ponyless said:

Oops i thought i copy and pasted the entire comment, my mistake. And limits creativity lol? Have you played 3D world? Probably not seeing your previous comments. Creativity has nothing to do with power lol, play FF13 and compare it to FF6 or FF7 and tell me if you honestly think that still.

You make it sound as if it's just graphics lol Look at games like knack and resogun. They may look simple but current gen consoles can't run them. Too many objects moving in real time. What are you going to tell me now? That knack and resogun aren't creative and original ideas?

I've read some stuff about knack, a reason why it couldn't run on ps3 is because of the multiple partricle effects on Knack's body. IMO the game would still be the same without them wouldn't they be? Or are you telling me knack would be a completely different/inferior game if it didn't have those particle effects on his body. I don't know about resogun so tell me what is it that makes it only work on PS4 and nothing weaker than that?

Its the in the post you just quoted, Dude. -.-

FlamingWeazel said:
160rmf said:
Uabit said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Uabit said:

Why did PS2 being a lot less powerful than Gamecube/Xbox sell a lot more consoles? Or Wii being a lot less powerful than X360 and PS3? Innovation and specially gams are what matters.

Peope Get's PS4 because they know soon games are going to stop coming out for PS3/X360 and PS4/Xone are going to have exclusive games. Games are what matters

/thread

No not/thread, saying hardware doesnt matter makes zero sense.  Both matter and are critical, without hardware you have nothing to play software on.o determines what devs can and cannot do.

With hardware advances we would not have the large worlds and possibilities we have to with games.

Large worlds and...

We reap what we sow

Mystro-Sama said:
Ponyless said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Ponyless said:

Its the in the post you just quoted, Dude. -.-

And i asked you if those things are important to the game? Would you enjoy resogun a lot less if it didn't have all the particle effects? Would you call people delusional if they enjoyed a resogun that didn't have those particle effects because they ported it to PS3/PSV for some reason.

Read my post please.

I'm a Nintendo fan. I think graphics don't matter. I think art style matters. I think performance does matter. I thought the Zelda Wii U tech demo was boring. I don't want Zelda for Wii U to look anything like the tech demo because that's not what Zelda is about. I think that Super Mario 3D World is beautiful because of it's art style. I think Super Mario Galaxy looks better because of it's art style.