By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Hardware does matter! (hear me out)

FlamingWeazel said:
Ponyless said:

Why are you using the wii as an example lol, read the first post:

I often hear arguements like "it's not the hardware it's what you do with it" which is so fucking stupid and backwards and only said to damage control for Nintendo when the only reason Nintendo makes underpowered systems is to generate more profit (which they don't even need) at the cost of limiting the creativity of their devs. There is no one way gamers benefit from this shit.

He's not talking about different hardware that allowed motion control, he's very strictly talking about graphical power only, and other things that come with a stronger gpu/cpu. 

So the wii doesn't fit your argument, so you downplay it.... Sorry hardware matters a lot, saying otherwise is foolish.

Its not just motion you ignored the rest of my post. Without hardware advances, handhleds dont ecxist, motion doesn't. Bigger worlds, better games, ai, effects, online connectivity, more immersion.

OPne cannot exist without the other, saying one is not important is piure fantasy.

Because i'm not replying to you lol, my argument was meant for him and his line of thinking. I could care less what you think, i mean you can't even bother to spell half your stuff right. His thinking is tha gpu/cpu are the most important things, and probably only from his posts, so i replied to that. Now you're trying to use my arguments against that, against your own line of thinking. Like i said, i'm only replying to him, so why do you keep replying to me?

Around the Network
Ponyless said:
FlamingWeazel said:
Ponyless said:

Why are you using the wii as an example lol, read the first post:

I often hear arguements like "it's not the hardware it's what you do with it" which is so fucking stupid and backwards and only said to damage control for Nintendo when the only reason Nintendo makes underpowered systems is to generate more profit (which they don't even need) at the cost of limiting the creativity of their devs. There is no one way gamers benefit from this shit.

He's not talking about different hardware that allowed motion control, he's very strictly talking about graphical power only, and other things that come with a stronger gpu/cpu. 

So the wii doesn't fit your argument, so you downplay it.... Sorry hardware matters a lot, saying otherwise is foolish.

Its not just motion you ignored the rest of my post. Without hardware advances, handhleds dont ecxist, motion doesn't. Bigger worlds, better games, ai, effects, online connectivity, more immersion.

OPne cannot exist without the other, saying one is not important is piure fantasy.

Because i'm not replying to you lol, my argument was meant for him and his line of thinking. I could care less what you think, i mean you can't even bother to spell half your stuff right. His thinking is tha gpu/cpu are the most important things, and probably only from his posts, so i replied to that. Now you're trying to use my arguments against that, against your own line of thinking. Like i said, i'm only replying to him, so why do you keep replying to me?

? because its a discussion about hardware and discussions evolve.... GPU and cpu are importantr as well...Now your trying to brush my arguments aside because you cannot come up with a  rebuttal. hardware matters.

PS: You have been replying to me lol.

Ponyless said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Ponyless said:
Mystro-Sama said:
Ponyless said:

Oops i thought i copy and pasted the entire comment, my mistake. And limits creativity lol? Have you played 3D world? Probably not seeing your previous comments. Creativity has nothing to do with power lol, play FF13 and compare it to FF6 or FF7 and tell me if you honestly think that still.

You make it sound as if it's just graphics lol Look at games like knack and resogun. They may look simple but current gen consoles can't run them. Too many objects moving in real time. What are you going to tell me now? That knack and resogun aren't creative and original ideas?

I've read some stuff about knack, a reason why it couldn't run on ps3 is because of the multiple partricle effects on Knack's body. IMO the game would still be the same without them wouldn't they be? Or are you telling me knack would be a completely different/inferior game if it didn't have those particle effects on his body. I don't know about resogun so tell me what is it that makes it only work on PS4 and nothing weaker than that?

Its the in the post you just quoted, Dude. -.-

And i asked you if those things are important to the game? Would you enjoy resogun a lot less if it didn't have all the particle effects? Would you call people delusional if they enjoyed a resogun that didn't have those particle effects because they ported it to PS3/PSV for some reason.

Read my post please.

The particle effects and object physics makes the game what it is. Look at Knack for example. Thats it's entire identity. An entity made out of hundreds of objects. Take those things away and the game would lose it's unique not to mention the story would be totally out of place.

FlamingWeazel said:
JazzB1987 said:
How can hardware limit dev creativity when all "creative" games today are indie games? Or when SuperMarioGalaxy was a more "creative" game than 99% of all 360 an d PS3 games combined?

Creativity knows no boundaries. If you know creative ways to find solutions to your hardware limitation then you automatically know how to make creative games. You either are creative or not. And if you are hardware does not matter because you will find a way to make it work. (I am not talking about running skyrim on Gameboy here... but about having sufficient hardware ressources and using them)

This is a one sided view. Also not all creativity is indies please. hardware and software have to work together, without one the other doesn't exist. The notion that one of them doesn;t matter is utterly foolish.

Would wii have been a success if the hardware that allowed motion not been implemented? It matters..a lot.

Hardware advances allowed things like Ds to exist. Without hardware 3d, and small lcd screens and tech getting smaller ds doesn't exist.

If hardware didnt matter we'd still be playing PONG.

I dunno what you are doing but you are not replying to my post lol. I never said hardware does not matter but I said hardware (when its sufficient) does NOT limit creativity.  Let me explain it with another example:

Lets say we NOW have hardware power which is 100 (arbitrary number)
Then we have last gens hardware power which is 25 WiiU is 35.
but 99% of the time we dont use enough creativity to even fill up 10.

OR

You have a 4K TV but you expect your 1980's VHS to look infinitely better than the same VHS running on your old fullHD Plasma TV even tho it would even look almost the same on a simple 480p CRT TV.

EDIT: Tbh I even believe that hardware power leads to less creativity since achiving a sufficient result (people expect a bare minimum of visuals for the hardware they have) will cost much more leading to devs/pubs cutting corners.

FlamingWeazel said:
ibrahim said:
why do you buy a console if hardware matters?

What PC can play halo, Uncharted, God of war, Destiny, MLB the show, Infamous, Drive club, Gran turismo, tales of xillia. and on and on.........

If they had he rights to them  any decently powered PC could, you kinda arguing software beats hardware with this stance.

Around the Network
Mystro-Sama said:
Anfebious said:
To me it doesn't matter. Enjoy your overpowered console, I am fine with my Wii U!

Thats the Nintendo mentality... sigh.

You've been cultured.

But what you say is not necessarily true.  You think it's a BAD thing for a company to want to make money on each console sold vs lose money? 

If hardware mattered more, the first xbox would have been king, not ps2 in the 6th gen. Gamecube also had higher specs but guess what, PS2 dominated due to hardware. Ps2 not having as much power didn't stop devs from producing some amazing games.

FlamingWeazel said:

? because its a discussion about hardware and discussions evolve.... GPU and cpu are importantr as well...Now your trying to brush my arguments aside because you cannot come up with a  rebuttal. hardware matters.

PS: You have been replying to me lol.

My argument isn't that hardware doesn't matter at all, it clearly does. I'm just saying gpu/cpu aren' as big as the OP wants to make them out to be. Was the wii popular because of it's amazing gpu and cpu that blew every other thing out of the water? Hell no, it was motion controls and how games used the motion controls. You're talking much more broader about hardware, my discussion with OP was strictly about gpu/cpu, not about other hardware parts. When i'm replying to OP saying that he's way off the mark for making the gpu and cpu seem like a massive deal, you using the wii as a counter argument is weird; since i completely agree with that and actually supports my point that gpu/cpu aren't as important as he wants it to be.

So please stop replying to me mister iamdeath.

the_dengle said:
Cost of owning a fully functional Wii U for six years: $300
Cost of owning a fully functional PS4 for six years: $700

Yes, Nintendo's strategy generates more profit, that's right. For the sake of thoroughness, XBO costs $860 over a six-year period.

Number of games you get in 6 years for the $300 you paid for the Wii U: 2

Number of games you get in 6 years for the $700 you paid for the PS4: 72

Great point you've made there.

Mystro-Sama said:
Anfebious said:
To me it doesn't matter. Enjoy your overpowered console, I am fine with my Wii U!

Thats the Nintendo mentality... sigh.

You've been cultured.

Nintendo hardware in terms of strength does truly not matter we play the games for gameplay

plus if i wanted true power i would play my gaming pc that produces much better framerate/graphics then ps4/x1

WII U // PC // 3ds XL // VITA