By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 4.1 — Nintendo's number to remember

stclam said:
why is that 4.1 Million not 4 Million
you add that 0.1 just to make it looks scientific?

It was just the number I kept seeing in my head.

I wanted to post this in January but decided against it. Every time I thought on the subject I kept seeing two numbers: 3.6 and 4.1.

4.1 became the strongest image when I closed my eyes thinking on the subject. It's what I saw in the darkness with my eyes shut.

3.6 looked like a faded blue while 4.1 was a blazing gold.

So I had to go with my vision.

Yeah I know it sounds crazy but that's how these things come to me.

In a flash.

John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

@ JL

Oh, you see that when you're having your delusions of grandeur?

So basically what you're saying is that the PS3 is a fad? Or a complete failure from the getgo then. Okay, then don't jump the gun the next time someone dares suggest that Wii sales might slow down.
I don't know what (besides wishfull thinking) you base your predictions on, but I know what they're not based on; understanding.
We'll always have different opinions, and I'm glad, Vgchartz would be a pretty boring place without differences of opinion...

I admire your lofty prediction JL, but 4.1million wii's per month average over the next fiscal year is a liitle much. During the previous year in the slow months you could find wii's in almost all European countries and in japan, their are many reports of this all over the internet forums from gamers in these countries. The demand for 4.1million wii's is just not real.

I could imagine that Nintendo will raise production to 2.1million wii's per month at the start of the fiscal year, but i can not see much more then that in the near future. Nintendo sold on avearge 1.367mil wii's each month during 2007 according to this site. They are already making to 1.8million each month, thats already a nice increase over last years numbers.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 06th Jan 2007 to 29th Dec 2007:

Console Wii
Total 16,408,500

I think 3 millions per month is possible, but not 4 million

Around the Network
johnlucas said:
stclam said:
why is that 4.1 Million not 4 Million
you add that 0.1 just to make it looks scientific?

It was just the number I kept seeing in my head.

I wanted to post this in January but decided against it. Every time I thought on the subject I kept seeing two numbers: 3.6 and 4.1.

4.1 became the strongest image when I closed my eyes thinking on the subject. It's what I saw in the darkness with my eyes shut.

3.6 looked like a faded blue while 4.1 was a blazing gold.

So I had to go with my vision.

Yeah I know it sounds crazy but that's how these things come to me.

In a flash.

John Lucas

johnlucas: the Mad Prophet of VGChartz!

Seriously, your sig may say you're the Official Idiot, but now that we know that you get the numbers for your predictions in VISIONS (!!!) how can you be anything other than our Mad Prophet?

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

It is most pleasing when John Lucas' predictions come to pass. He was one of the very few to predict the current success of the Wii and he's right -- they are going to have to up production to deal with the massive upcoming demand. It is absolutely unprecidented for ANY consumer electronic to be difficult to find over a year after its launch and SSBB and WiiFit will will continue the upward trends and unprecidented demand. This is truly an exciting time for all gaming and Nintendo fans in particular!

Griffin said:
I admire your lofty prediction JL, but 4.1million wii's per month average over the next fiscal year is a liitle much. During the previous year in the slow months you could find wii's in almost all European countries and in japan, their are many reports of this all over the internet forums from gamers in these countries. The demand for 4.1million wii's is just not real.

I could imagine that Nintendo will raise production to 2.1million wii's per month at the start of the fiscal year, but i can not see much more then that in the near future. Nintendo sold on avearge 1.367mil wii's each month during 2007 according to this site. They are already making to 1.8million each month, thats already a nice increase over last years numbers.

VGChartz Hardware data for the period 06th Jan 2007 to 29th Dec 2007:

Console Wii
Total 16,408,500

Well remember at the end of the year there were sellouts and a lot of leftover demand, and this year we are seeing increased demand so far (I mean how many consoles sell almost 450K a week in February)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I would agree with 3.5M +/-
Nintendo needs to spam the console early so they can't guarantee their domination to the point of no return. The demand is still there and strong after more than a year.
They are also expanding into new regions and that opens up more flexibility for diverting their wares.
I see 4.1M/month as possible.

I would think, making it 4M/month throughout is easier than going from 1.8 > 2.2 > 2.6 > 3.3 > etc...

I am just pulling crap outta my ass, don't quote me on it :)

Final-Fan said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Final-Fan said:
Profit =/= production. What's your point?

Random note: When demand equals supply and each sold unit provides profit, production equals profit.

Aren't you assuming that profit from Wii consoles is an equal proportion of Nintendo's profit now vs. then, AND that Nintendo made exactly the same amount of profit per Wii as before? 

Of course not.  Both assumptions are flawed and irrelevant.