By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 4.1 — Nintendo's number to remember

Words Of Wisdom said:
Final-Fan said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Final-Fan said:
Profit =/= production. What's your point?

Random note: When demand equals supply and each sold unit provides profit, production equals profit.

Aren't you assuming that profit from Wii consoles is an equal proportion of Nintendo's profit now vs. then, AND that Nintendo made exactly the same amount of profit per Wii as before?

Of course not. Both assumptions are flawed and irrelevant.

I see. I didn't realize that your random note was truly random and not trying to make a point about what I was saying. Sorry.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

here is Kwaads 4.1 cents.

You think, Nintendo can over double production on the wii, and make it sell for 12 months a year? The Wii, worldwide, is currenly outselling the DS by a small margin, however that is because of the high demand for the Wii, and the lack, of production on the market.

If the Nintendo ramps the Wii up to 4.1 million units a month, production, in 5 years, almost 4% of people would have a Wii, to their name. That is not counting further production increases. I dont think the demand for the Wii is that high. 

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

ouch.

I though 20m by jan 2008 was a little far fetched, but maybe....Then it happened.

I have said that 60m by Jan 2009 is not possible...now you give a reason how it could be possible. Now, I think Nintendo will up the production again, by April. But to go from 1.8 to 4.1....no. I think more like 2.5m would be tops.

With 2.5m for half of 2008, plus the emerging other markets I see Wii around 45m by end of 2008, not 60m.

I guess this thread will be brought back to life in Jan 2009. :)

If the Wii did produce 4.1 million units a month, and Nintendo had to scale back production after one full year (not five) to match decreased demand, that would not be any kind of bad thing. There doesn't have to be a 250-million-person Wii market out there to justify a 4m/mo production level for a relatively short period of time -- not that I think it'll happen, or that demand is necessarily high enough to justify it in actuality.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

i'm rooting for your vision to come true, JL! :D :D :D

WiiFit will be 2008 #1 selling game in NORTH AMERICA!  
End of '08 Predictions: Wii - 48m X360 - 25m  PS3 - 19m
Wii monthly NA sales will top 400k every month in '08. *Jan sales ruined it. Grrrr!*
WiiFit will top 1m in sales in its first month of release in North America.
MGS4 will NOT be released in '08. *Darn it!* FF13 will NOT be released in '08.
Rockband Wii will top 600k in first month sales in North America.
WiiFit will pass the PS3 WW sales by Xmas '09.

Around the Network
Kwaad said:

here is Kwaads 4.1 cents.

You think, Nintendo can over double production on the wii, and make it sell for 12 months a year? The Wii, worldwide, is currenly outselling the DS by a small margin, however that is because of the high demand for the Wii, and the lack, of production on the market.

If the Nintendo ramps the Wii up to 4.1 million units a month, production, in 5 years, almost 4% of people would have a Wii, to their name. That is not counting further production increases. I dont think the demand for the Wii is that high. 

LOL you wouldnt, because you hate Nintendo.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Wow, what a day for crazy stories. I just don't see Nintendo taking that big of risk John. They've never been known to push things that far. Unless they have some huge killer app beyond Wii Fit then there is no way that'll happen (not that Wii Fit isn't huge).

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

4.1 million beginning on 4/1?

Is this where you come in and call us all fools, John John? :D

If it does pass 4.1 million this year he will be calling all of us fools

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Hmmm... 4.1 million, eh?

Last Christmas, they failed to meet demand once again and lost out on sales. That's two years in a row. Would Nintendo make the same mistake 3 years in a row?

So what if they overproduced? What would be their plan then? Well, they are still intending on doing a DVD version, and they are still intending on doing multiple colors, both of which could increase demand again, even from existing users (think DS to DS Lite) And then, with that kind of level, they are probably getting bigger discounts from their suppliers...which means they could sell them for less if they needed to and still make profits galore, all of which contribute to a larger base to sell games to. Plus they can use the additional units for launching into other markets. Oh, and there's stockpiling for christmas...

So what's the risk of doing that many units per month? That they can't scale back when they meet demand? Isn't that a problem with EVERY PRODUCT IN THE WORLD? What does the rest of the world do? Oh yes, they scale back when they meet demand.

DS is not producing at 4.1 million a month? I wonder if that's why I couldn't find one in stock last month, or this month, anywhere. Demand for the DS seems to have gone up, despite their high production level and huge existing base. I finally found a DS after weeks of searching. And the Wii is in more demand. Yet, in October, the DS was readily available in many places -- I just wasn't looking for it then.

I think 4.1 million a month by the end of the year for the Wii could very well happen. It seems staggeringly high levels for such a conservative company, but they are seeing staggeringly high demand and it seems like the risk isn't all that great.