By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Spindoctor Aaron Greenberg: "Reporting Can Get Confusing, But We Did Sell 3.9"

When december was over and 3M seemed good they used sell through, but then Sony announces 4.2M and it doesn't look so hot anymore so let's go to 3.9M shipped. That is spin.

If now Sony says it shipped 4.5M will Ms count consoles on the ships and factory to equalize it?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Kowen have got his PhD in spinnology and deflecting.

Moderated,

-Mr Khan

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

kowenicki said:
sully1311 said:
kowenicki said:

This is the headline taken directly from the Official recent PS3 press relase for 80m, from the sce website...

PLAYSTATION®3 SALES REACH 80 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE
The PS3® System Continues to Grow with more than 300 Software Titles Launching this Holiday
Season Globally, Including “GranTurismo 6”

So they have sold 80m right?  Is this spin or do we know what they mean?

What's the point kowen? You will never win.

The thread did kinda die after I posted that though didnt it. lol

You're right, Sony did it during all the generation too. But i don't remember a "Greenberg" from Sony saying shipped and sold were basically the same...And the problem here is that Microsoft, like Sony, was saying until now always "sold to consumers", so people related the "2m in 18 days", "3m until 31 december", with this "3'9m sold", the only intention here is to fool people.

But for me, what they're trying to hide is the fact there's 900k Xbox One unsold already, THAT'S A LOT (23% of total stock) for a console that just launched in less than 2 months and in Christmas....when the competion is considered to be soldout everywhere (and still shipped more).

I can understand them doing this, is their job and their company, but they should just do it different, with no stupid spins.

everyone who has been on this site for many years really should know better. sold its the term they use on their reports. sell through is a term they use from time to time to cover sold to end users.
he might have been able to handle the guy a little better by bringing that up, but he's dealing with a guy with an agenda who would take anything as spin anyway.

DonFerrari said:
When december was over and 3M seemed good they used sell through, but then Sony announces 4.2M and it doesn't look so hot anymore so let's go to 3.9M shipped. That is spin.

If now Sony says it shipped 4.5M will Ms count consoles on the ships and factory to equalize it?

How would you define the summation of different generation consoles?

Ex Graphics Whore.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

No, they only released their financial statement yesterday, that's why they only talk now about what they sold (3.9m) and not what retail sold (around 3m).

You expect that they talk about their own numbers a month before they release their numbers? This makes no sense.

This is really not that hard to understand. 

It also means that the next quarter will look worse in their financial statement as it would if sold to consumers would be higher since retail needs less new consoles to have enough for their customers.

First we argue about FPS and resolution. Then we argue about Teraflops. Now we argue about semantics on a twitter message. Wonder what's the next step in the console wars, they are so entertaining!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

BMaker11 said:
daredevil.shark said:
Somini said:
daredevil.shark said:
Why on earth these people are still employed in such big coprporations?

Because they can spin like this!

He and phil spenser are good example. Phil said, Xbox One is three times (later six times powerful) than xbox 360. The pawa of cloud, DRM, no DRM, free headset, no headset etc. These people are really terrible in PR. He doesnt even understand the difference between shipped and sold.

Even the milder, more likable one (Major Nelson) is pretty bad. Remember when he said "We can't just flip a switch to turn off the DRM. The console was built around it"...then flipped the switch two days later?

Dat spin

Wrong lol. If it was as simple as you are trying to make it they wouldn't have shipped needing a update. The consumers also needed a internet connection. It wasn't a flip of switch at all.

TheSting said:
BMaker11 said:
daredevil.shark said:
Somini said:
daredevil.shark said:
Why on earth these people are still employed in such big coprporations?

Because they can spin like this!

He and phil spenser are good example. Phil said, Xbox One is three times (later six times powerful) than xbox 360. The pawa of cloud, DRM, no DRM, free headset, no headset etc. These people are really terrible in PR. He doesnt even understand the difference between shipped and sold.

Even the milder, more likable one (Major Nelson) is pretty bad. Remember when he said "We can't just flip a switch to turn off the DRM. The console was built around it"...then flipped the switch two days later?

Dat spin

Wrong lol. If it was as simple as you are trying to make it they wouldn't have shipped needing a update. The consumers also needed a internet connection. It wasn't a flip of switch at all.

It was a flip switch allright. The made a patch available and voila, problem solved!

Somini said:

Shedding more light on the subject;

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/900-000-xbox-ones-went-unsold-worldwide-in-2013-update/1100-6417303/

Lol at this PR representative David Dennis idiot:

"We sold through nearly every unit we could in the holiday period and pulled forward as many units as we could from Q3. However, only some of those shipments were sold into the channel in the final period of the quarter and so there was not time to sell the units through to customers,"

In a financial report, you absolutely cannot factor in any units from a future quarter. This is a typical clueless PR twit that has either no idea of what he is talking about - or he knows very well what he is trying to obfuscate here.

The reality is that units manufactured in the last december weeks weren't due to be on shelves before January (transit times 3-4 weeks) - which IS in the next quarter. 

Notice the mega-pr-flap he made: What he inadvertedly admits, though, is the fact that NOT all of the 900k units in transit were actually sold into the retail channel! Boy is he going to be in trouble when the boss calls him in for a "discussion of his latest contribution".