By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendogs sales... The most popular game ever?

Depending on how you count it, Nintendogs has a chance to become the most popular game of all time.

It would require a strange rule whereby the multiple versions of Pokemon were not counted, but the multiple versions of Nintendogs were... Since Nintendogs is more content-identical between versions, thats sorta, kinda, (not really), legit. But bear with me...

Without Pokemon or Nintendo pack-ins in the way, what does that leave? GTA, GT, Sims, SMB3... The best of those is combined shipments of the Sims between PC and PS2, at 18.76 million.

And Nintendogs? Its shipped 13.58 million units so far. However, consider this: the game came out in 2005. It shipped in all major regions between April and October of that year. But in the fiscal year ending March 2006, the game had only shipped 6.65 million units. From April 2006 to March 2007, it shipped an additional 6.95 million. Its like the game never slowed down at all.

Its not unreasonable at all to think the game will ship another 5.5 million units when all is said and done. Its really not unthinkable that it ships 8 million more when all is said and done. 8 million more units would match Super Mario World's sales, which it did as a pack-in.

Welcome to the DS age.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

It's an incredible thing to be sure. But I am quite curious to know the version specific numbers.  Also, knowing very little about how the games actually play, perhaps someone could answer this question. Although the games are fairly content identical, would anyone have reason to buy more than one version of the game?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Judging by the target demographic (read: women), I'd say they look at Nintendogs as less of a game and more as a commitment. Some people also just need to have labradors and dalmatians because they both are oh-so-cuddly...

Content-wise, it's like buying the white or black version of the DS... 

Hmmm... maybe. I actually think that NSMB will catch it at some point (its been out for a far shorter time, and isn't that far behind) - and whereas a few companies have put out their Nintendogs "look alikes", there isn't anything close to NSMB. (NSMB has outsold Nintendogs in Japan by almost 3:1) Be interesting to see :)

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Would like to see a WII version of those doggies. A long while ago they we're mentioning a WII version which will connect with the DS version(s) of the game. Hopefully the game will expand with a whole bunch of more options. The lack of options in the DS version made the game somewhat boring despite the cute looks and barking of those puppies. Still, I still like to put the game on now and then, somehow the game also cheers me up at times.

This profile is no longer in use, see my other profile *~Onna76~*

Around the Network

Im still hoping for a Nintendogs sequel (for the DS) - but the way the game is selling (and the DS is selling) it wouldn't make financial sense at the moment. The game could be a lot deeper, have full online play, online contests and much, much more...

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Shams... The fact that NSMB (and also Pokemon) isn't that far behind Nintendogs sales, makes the whole thing even more amazing. The PS2, for all its 10 million sellers, hasn't quite gotten either GTA:SA or GT3 to the 15 million mark. DS has 3 contenders for that mark.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

The mere fact that a game that is targeted at woman could become the highest selling game of all time makes me cry in my sleep as to where videogames could be heading.......

Eric, Being the perfect gift for girls and women, Nintendogs will probably keep selling non-stop until Nintendo release a new version. And that's why they probably won't release a new version that soon. If it gets another Christmas season for itself it will easily cross 20 million.

Regarding the different versions, The gameplay is identical, they only differ in which dogs you start with and which you will have to unlock. You start with a selection of 6 out of 20 dogs. Beyond that, each version as 10 exclusive collectibles (besides oodles of common collectibles). You can share breeds with and gift collectables to other Nintendogs player over WiFi.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

jstam said:
The mere fact that a game that is targeted at woman could become the highest selling game of all time makes me cry in my sleep as to where videogames could be heading.......

I can't see your point there. Unless it is humor. OMG¡!¡¿

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.