By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendogs sales... The most popular game ever?

don't worry jstam, there's so little competition a game that successfully targets women will be guaranteed to sell incredibly well. Men still spend the most money on games and will still be targeted the most.

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Around the Network

It's interesting because combined Japanese Nintendogs sales have only ammounted to about 1.5 million copies sold, while in Europe it's somewhere over 5 million and in the Americas somewhere over 4 million. It's made by far it's biggest impact on DS sales in the western market. It to the DS is what GTA 3 was to the PS2.

jstam said:
The mere fact that a game that is targeted at woman could become the highest selling game of all time makes me cry in my sleep as to where videogames could be heading.......

to a gaming culture that isn't solely the domain of nerdy boys in their parents basements?

No really, bringing gaming to the masses is the best thing that can happen to the industry, and to those why play. 

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

jstam said:
The mere fact that a game that is targeted at woman could become the highest selling game of all time makes me cry in my sleep as to where videogames could be heading.......

I think its good, as we need more women to start playing games

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

What about Tetris for the Gameboy? Didn't that sell 25-30 million?

Around the Network
Phalanx said:
What about Tetris for the Gameboy? Didn't that sell 25-30 million?

It was a pack-in.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

I don't get the NintenDogs fascination. I bought the game for my wife and played it for a few hours... And wanted to shoot myself afterward. Then I gave it to my wife. She played it for a few hours and also wanted to shoot herself afterward. She's not a hardcore gamer by any stretch of the imagination but she spent some quality time with the original EQ and now we nightly blow each other's brains out playing Worms on XBL. Just an opinion. I really don't understand real-world virtual sims. They're just incredibly... Boring. Maybe I'm just too Americanized for this stuff.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

I bought Nintendogs, played it for a total of 4 days, and then never touched it again. It was a good game, just not my type.

rocketpig said:
I don't get the NintenDogs fascination. I bought the game for my wife and played it for a few hours... And wanted to shoot myself afterward. Then I gave it to my wife. She played it for a few hours and also wanted to shoot herself afterward. She's not a hardcore gamer by any stretch of the imagination but she spent some quality time with the original EQ and now we nightly blow each other's brains out playing Worms on XBL. Just an opinion. I really don't understand real-world virtual sims. They're just incredibly... Boring. Maybe I'm just too Americanized for this stuff.

No, they are boring, you're right. And the Sims is really boring too, yet my little sister plays it constantly... I guess some people never get over the whole "playing with a dollhouse/action figures" type thing.

different people, different taste. it's what makes us unique. I couldn't get into nintendogs or any of the pet games. (Maybe, just maybe, if they add some rpg elements to it, who would have thought bejewel + rpg = puzzle quest?)