By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who else thinks Sony needs to kill the PS3?

What makes people think PS3 can reach 100m sales ?

I doubt it will sell 5m this year which would be great BTW.

Around the Network

No, they wouldn't piss off their consumers like that. They said the PS3 would have 10 years of life, and now they've said that PS4 will have the same. If they kill off the PS3 now, a lot of pissed off PS3 players, who doesn't want to invest in a PS4 just yet, wouldn't trust Sony to support the PS4. Then the consumers who doesn't want a PS4 just yet won't buy it later because it won't be supported then, by looking back at what they did with the previous platform (PS3).

Also not nearly the install base of the PS3 will move to the PS4, so there would be lots of lost profit.

Yep.

Every new PS console launch spans these specious arguments on how they need to ditch the old and rush head long into the new ignoring the fact that the old console at this point is almost all profit and therefore would be a very bad business move for Sony.

It aint the WiiU , the Dreamcast or the original XBOX. The PS3 has 80 or so million current owners who are still invested in their console and when compared to the PS4 game for game the PS3 will sell more copies just based on the install base being 20x times that of the PS4. Not to mention all of those PS3 owners are possible future PS4 owners and just dropping support would alienate them big time especially since the PS4 has no B/C and it's just not feasible to just add B/C to the PS4.

Also, PS3 is NOT restricting sales of the PS4. Lack of availability is.

kowenicki said:
BMaker11 said:
kowenicki said:
Absolutely no need, it is dying a fast death.

4.5m tops this year, 3m tops next. Then a rapid death.

You've been reading to many Ethomaz predicitons of massive continuing sales, that ain't happening. The ps3 isnt stopping Ps4 sales either. Its a silly notion.

But it's right behind the XBone and way above the 360 in sales (this week). 360 is still being supported. And to come close to a next gen console...how is it "dying a fast death"?

What do you consider "massive" sales? Because in the middle of the gen when 360 and PS3 were catching their strides, anywhere from 100-120K was a typical sales week. 90K isn't that far behind, so I don't see how it's "dying". Especially coming off a great holiday season

12m in 2012

8m 2013

4m 2014

thats quite fast.

Only because for some strange reason, you predict only 4M for 2014. Games still coming, price drop, being released in emerging markets, etc. are all still possible this year.

Nem said:

Sony has already killed it as far as they are concerned in terms of software.

They cant move third party projects or say no to making money, it would be insane.

I know PS4 is having a drought, just like EVERY console during the first year. Just deal with it. Its the price to pay for beeing an early adopter.

Also cutting PS3 sales doesnt necessarily mean they would pass onto PS4. That is a severely flawed logic.

wut

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Nem said:

Sony has already killed it as far as they are concerned in terms of software.

They cant move third party projects or say no to making money, it would be insane.

I know PS4 is having a drought, just like EVERY console during the first year. Just deal with it. Its the price to pay for beeing an early adopter.

Also cutting PS3 sales doesnt necessarily mean they would pass onto PS4. That is a severely flawed logic.

wut

Wich part of "Sony" didnt you understand? Yeah they got some DLC and the yearly baseball game no one cares about. I consider that nothing.

The good games are coming from third parties.

Uhhh no... The ps3 will be pumping out jrpgs in the years to come.

I disagree.

There are several "good" reasons why Sony should NOT discontinue the PS3.

1. Profit. PS3 makes a profit for them. Why would they want to kill off a source of profit?

2. Sony have always prided themselves on supporting their previous consoles (last gen). If they killed off the PS3 so soon then they would be no different to Microsoft (no offence intended).

3. Cheaper console for those who can't afford PS4. Yes. Not all of us are loaded with money. Those who can't afford PS4 (for whatever reason) can buy a PS3 and enjoy it's games (new and old).

P.S. I expect the PS3 to scrape over the 100 million sales milestone. It'll be an INCREDIBLE feat if it achieves it. Once laughed at as a failure. It is now getting closer to emulating the remarkable sales of the PS1. Only time will tell though.

One of the reason i want the PS4 is the extreme longevity of sony's console (support wise). If ps3 died now, I would be hugely disappointed. I may still buy a ps4 tough.

kowenicki said:
Absolutely no need, it is dying a fast death.

4.5m tops this year, 3m tops next. Then a rapid death.

You've been reading to many Ethomaz predicitons of massive continuing sales, that ain't happening. The ps3 isnt stopping Ps4 sales either. Its a silly notion.

Wow really 4.5m only? What about the 360 then? 2m this year and death in early 2015? I don't hope so for either of them.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey