By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Who else thinks Sony needs to kill the PS3?

Yeah, Sega did this with the Genesis (Mega Drive) when they released the Saturn... I have seen evaliations that they lost hundreds of millions of dollars in software royalties revenues (and system sales) just like Nintendo kept on selling SNES and NES pretty long after their respective replacement came in.

So far Sony was able to sell every PS4 they have put on a store shelve anywhere in the world, I don't see why they should sacrifice the PS3 (and the services around it)

A move like that one would also alienate those who just bought one recently, think of the people who bought PS2s after the PS3 was released (about 50 million of them) they made a lot of money for Sony with the software sales, accessories etc. and probably kept the company afloat while the PS3 was building a strong lineup and a userbase large enough to sustain the entertainment division.

Around the Network

Why? Its profitable now. They need to keep selling it to recover its early loses.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

kitler53 said:
RolStoppable said:
kitler53 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
I see what you did there.

you're the only one.

...but as long as one person gets it i'm happy.  xD

I was wondering if there was an initial version of this thread that didn't contain any hyperlinks, because those responses... wow.

nope.  :)

Geez, I don't remember seeing those links originally. If those were there from the beginning, then you are one tricky bastard!

kowenicki said:
ghettoglamour said:
kowenicki said:
Absolutely no need, it is dying a fast death.

4.5m tops this year, 3m tops next. Then a rapid death.

You've been reading to many Ethomaz predicitons of massive continuing sales, that ain't happening. The ps3 isnt stopping Ps4 sales either. Its a silly notion.

Wow really 4.5m only? What about the 360 then? 2m this year and death in early 2015? I don't hope so for either of them.

yep about 2m for the 360

its all very predictable.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=150782

Good stuff thanks. Maybe they won't drop as fast if they get bargain bin prices <= 150 USD?

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

Good one lol. Oh gawd there were so many threads?

Around the Network

I don't agree at all.

I want the PS3 to go on as long as possible lol.

That is all.

MohammadBadir said:
I think they should move current projects to PS4/Vita like Ninty did with the Wii

this i fully think they should have done with GT6 and used it as a launch title to give the system that must have game.  But yea i dont understand why they would keep making games for a system on the way out, they did that at the beginning of the ps3 life cycle with ps2 just kill off your old system 1 year after new system is out. no need to let it drag on and in this case the graphics difference between last and this gen isnt big enough for some to upgrade till they have to.

You may have a different perspective depending on where you are. PS3 is very important in Europe but seems less so in the States.

Persona 5 coming there so no.

Ah, the PS21 sold well into the lifespan of PS2 as did PS2 into that of the PS3. And with new games like Persona 5 and Dark Souls 2 on the way so will the PS3 into the PS4's lifetime. And mow, the PS3 will probably be receiving a lot of high quality niche titles like PS1 and PS2 did during their latter years. There's no reason to retire PS3 until it has built up a more sizable margin between itself and the 360 and, hopefully, topped Wii.