By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft paying YouTubers for positive Xbox One coverage ( edited with more info )

Tagged games:

selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
Absolute genius idea. This is why Microsoft make money. Because their advertising works.

Well Done Microsoft.

Yeah well done, posibly illegal, already back fired,pure  genius microsoft....Despicable practice, unethical, and amazes me people will defen it because they are championing a corporation.

Nor will it work.

Ms obviouslty doesn't believe in their product to sell itself so they resort to this.

What are you on about. Its advertising. Every company does stuff like this. Facebook, etc etc. To think otherwise isnt very smart. Its got nothing to do with Championing. What are you going on about.

Another day, another internet circle jerk. Its really funny.

Carry on with your hate.

Well done Microsoft good idea. Peace.

Show me where another compnay did this and is being investigated for FTC violations? Even if they ddi 2 wrongs don;t make a right. It's despicable, and shows a lack of confidence in their product.

Let me ask you this? What is the difference between a company paying for a broadcaster on TV being paid to advertise a product during a breakfast show, or paying for prime time TV slots. Where as here Microsoft are paying for verbal maessages through PAID advertising. Of course this isnt a review of any type. They arent paying for a GOOD review. They are paying for name dropping, The same way 118 118 advertises Channel 4 films in the UK. Its called a plug. NOT A REVIEW.

Nothing will come of this and its PERFECTLY legal. There is absolutely no wrong doing here at all.

Well Done Microsoft.

Did you read the article? These arrangements are supposed to be transparent, you are not allowed to keep the advertisement a secret, thus the "Being investigated for FTC regulations" It is not the same as what others do. Still waiting for the other cases where this has happened........

Theres nothing secret about it!

Hello.

From the OP

". CONFIDENTIALITY

You agree to keep confidential at all times all matters relating to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the Promotional Requirements, and the CPM Compensation, listed above.  You understand that You may not post a copy of this Agreement or any terms thereof online or share them with any third party (other than a legal or financial representative).  You agree that You have read the Nondisclosure Agreement (attached hereto and marked as Exhibit “A”) and You understand and agree to all of terms of the Nondisclosure Agreement, which is incorporated as part of this Agreement."
You've kinda clearly rushed in here to defend something where you haven't read the full OP or any of the information floating around about it, should take a look it's pretty nasty. The difference between any form of advertising is that it has to be marked as such, that isn't what this is, this is paying people to say they're loving a product and making it illegal for that person to ever say that they're being paid for that work.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

No one cares whether or not Microsoft wants to pay Youtubers to advertise their products. They care about it being done without acknowledgement.

Secret payment matters because it can change the opinion.

This reminds me of....
www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18517668

FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Did you read the article? These arrangements are supposed to be transparent, you are not allowed to keep the advertisement a secret, thus the "Being investigated for FTC regulations" It is not the same as what others do. Still waiting for the other cases where this has happened........

Theres nothing secret about it!

Hello.

Obviously never even read the article, participants are NOT ALLOWED to say they were a part of a pormotion, which breaks FTC regulations.........MS already are blaming machima for it so they know it is wrong.

Oops. Sorry I didnt realise there was info edited. LOL.

The article says Machina wrote the E-mail. How is it saying is Microsofts fault? I doubt with all its lawyers and its years of experience with Advertising that MS would make such a BIG mistake.

I find it funny peoploe twisting this onto Microsoft when the E-mail never came from them. Typical..

EDIT: Machina got caughht out last E3 with something else in the same way. So twice its Machinima, but becaue its Xbox this time its somehow Microsoft being ilegal? Machinima will get done for it if anyone. Microsoft made no such NDA.

The tthread title should be changed to be in line with the article.

People who are defending this don't understand what is going on. Sony and Nintendo also do this (though to a much lesser extent), but the way Microsoft is doing this is illegal. What's even worse is that M$ tried to sneak this under the table without anyone noticing. Good thing they got caught because otherwise this will destroy the integrity among the gaming community, especially when gaming journalism is already terrible as it is.

Around the Network
Aura7541 said:
People who are defending this don't understand what is going on. Sony and Nintendo also do this (though to a much lesser extent), but the way Microsoft is doing this is illegal. What's even worse is that M$ tried to sneak this under the table without anyone noticing. Good thing they got caught because otherwise this will destroy the integrity among the gaming community, especially when gaming journalism is already terrible as it is.

Ethics, Integrity? MS has never cared about these things.

I hope this can help. Btw, here in Brazil this is illegal. A good number of fashion blogs already payed money because of this here.

FTC Publishes Final Guides Governing Endorsements, Testimonials
http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2009/10/ftc-publishes-final-guides-governing-endorsements-testimonials

"These examples address what constitutes an endorsement when the message is conveyed by bloggers or other “word-of-mouth” marketers. The revised Guides specify that while decisions will be reached on a case-by-case basis, the post of a blogger who receives cash or in-kind payment to review a product is considered an endorsement. Thus, bloggers who make an endorsement must disclose the material connections they share with the seller of the product or service. "

FlamingWeazel said:
Aura7541 said:

Ethics, Integrity? MS has never cared about these things.

Indeed. I just don't understand why people are letting this slide. It's totally wrong. People like Boogie2099 and TotalBiscuit are also condemning this practice.

Not a very honest way to advertise honestly. It just feels like bribery. We get enough of that BS from politicians as it is, I'm not eager to see it seep into advertising.

<Update (1:55 pm Eastern, Jan. 21): Machinima and Microsoft provided Ars Technica with the following joint statement on this story.

"This partnership between Machinima and Microsoft was a typical marketing partnership to promote Xbox One in December. The Xbox team does not review any specific content or provide feedback on content. Any confidentiality provisions, terms, or other guidelines are standard documents provided by Machinima. For clarity, confidentiality relates to the agreements themselves, not the existence of the promotion.">

Here http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/01/stealth-marketing-microsoft-paying-youtubers-for-xbox-one-mentions/

It is true? i dont know, but i do know that in internet is easy to twist things, is easy to be biased against some company. Dont worry, Microsoft is the devil and everything that comes out of it is a danger to humanity

You know, normally people would look more thoroughly about who send the email and who put (or not) the confidentiallity agreement, but instead the internet go bananas about the topic

But of course, anybody that try to apply the benefit of the doubt is a xbox fanboy. Yes, i have a X360, but also a wiiu and a ps3 (and pc)