By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft paying YouTubers for positive Xbox One coverage ( edited with more info )

Tagged games:

I view advertisements to see what a company has to offer at least in part if not full. I view people's opinions/review to see how and why they think a product is good/bad. So let an advertisement be an advertisement (paid or not) and let an opinion be an opinion (good or bad) while making clear that it is so. Some of you Microsoft fans need to get past your Microsoft bias and see that at the very least what Microsoft is doing to promoting deception through monetary incentives without disclosure. It's smart, but unethical. It serves only Microsoft and its most committed followers while placing potential consumer harm to everyone else (and that's putting it very nicely.)

Around the Network
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
Absolute genius idea. This is why Microsoft make money. Because their advertising works.

Well Done Microsoft.

Yeah well done, posibly illegal, already back fired,pure  genius microsoft....Despicable practice, unethical, and amazes me people will defen it because they are championing a corporation.

Nor will it work.

Ms obviouslty doesn't believe in their product to sell itself so they resort to this.

What are you on about. Its advertising. Every company does stuff like this. Facebook, etc etc. To think otherwise isnt very smart. Its got nothing to do with Championing. What are you going on about.

Another day, another internet circle jerk. Its really funny.

Carry on with your hate.

Well done Microsoft good idea. Peace.

Show me where another compnay did this and is being investigated for FTC violations? Even if they ddi 2 wrongs don;t make a right. It's despicable, and shows a lack of confidence in their product.

Let me ask you this? What is the difference between a company paying for a broadcaster on TV being paid to advertise a product during a breakfast show, or paying for prime time TV slots. Where as here Microsoft are paying for verbal maessages through PAID advertising. Of course this isnt a review of any type. They arent paying for a GOOD review. They are paying for name dropping, The same way 118 118 advertises Channel 4 films in the UK. Its called a plug. NOT A REVIEW.

Nothing will come of this and its PERFECTLY legal. There is absolutely no wrong doing here at all.

Well Done Microsoft.

Did you read the article? These arrangements are supposed to be transparent, you are not allowed to keep the advertisement a secret, thus the "Being investigated for FTC regulations" It is not the same as what others do. Still waiting for the other cases where this has happened........

Theres nothing secret about it!

Hello.

LivingMetal said:
I view advertisements to see what a company has to offer at least in part if not full. I view people's opinions/review to see how and why they think a product is good/bad. So let an advertisement be an advertisement (paid or not) and let an opinion be an opinion (good or bad) while making clear that it is so. Some of you Microsoft fans need to get past your Microsoft bias and see that at the very least what Microsoft is doing to promoting deception through monetary incentives without disclosure. It's smart, but unethical. It serves only Microsoft and its most committed followers while placing potential consumer harm to everyone else (and that's putting it very nicely.)

Exactly, this is pathetic by MS imo, just another poor practice that company engages in. Not to mention trying to hide that it is a paid ad is against FTC rules.

selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:
selnor1983 said:

Show me where another compnay did this and is being investigated for FTC violations? Even if they ddi 2 wrongs don;t make a right. It's despicable, and shows a lack of confidence in their product.

Let me ask you this? What is the difference between a company paying for a broadcaster on TV being paid to advertise a product during a breakfast show, or paying for prime time TV slots. Where as here Microsoft are paying for verbal maessages through PAID advertising. Of course this isnt a review of any type. They arent paying for a GOOD review. They are paying for name dropping, The same way 118 118 advertises Channel 4 films in the UK. Its called a plug. NOT A REVIEW.

Nothing will come of this and its PERFECTLY legal. There is absolutely no wrong doing here at all.

Well Done Microsoft.

Did you read the article? These arrangements are supposed to be transparent, you are not allowed to keep the advertisement a secret, thus the "Being investigated for FTC regulations" It is not the same as what others do. Still waiting for the other cases where this has happened........

Hello.

What? Did you read the part where the people making the videos aren't allowed to say that they were paid to make the video? Which is illegal, and a really douche move.

The blind loyalty on this thread is sickening. 

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

selnor1983 said:
FlamingWeazel said:

Hello.

Obviously never even read the article, participants are NOT ALLOWED to say they were a part of a pormotion, which breaks FTC regulations.........MS already are blaming machima for it so they know it is wrong.

Around the Network

What they are doing IS illegal. The contract says to keep secret the fact that they are being paid for a good review. The contract says it has to be a good review, and you can't say you were paid. That's ILLEGAL. Jesus people.

NYANKS said:
What they are doing IS illegal. The contract says to keep secret the fact that they are being paid for a good review. The contract says it has to be a good review, and you can't say you were paid. That's ILLEGAL. Jesus people.

It's illegal and unethical..people defending it , I just, don;t know what to say,s a to see people blindly defend a corporation regardless of the situation.. If sony were doing the same thing i'd be saying the same thing, it is pathetic MS resorted to this.

FlamingWeazel said:
NYANKS said:

It's illegal and unethical..people defending it , I just, don;t know what to say,s a to see people blindly defend a corporation regardless of the situation.. If sony were doing the same thing i'd be saying the same thing, it is pathetic MS resorted to this.

Why argue with them?
Even if Microsoft says they need dead kids to power the cloud to over 9000!! they would go out and bring them bodies and their souls!

We all know they did something illegal and they hopefully will have some problems with the law.
Their behavior needs to get punished for once....But of course money will solve the issue probably anyway*sigh*

Normchacho said:
Landguy said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Acevil said:

So, to compare your thought.

So, the drug dealer on the corner is not the problem, just the people who manufacture the drugs?

Every person invovled in something illegal(even though I think this is not illegal) are themselves doing something illegal.  What you want to do is pick and choose who is right and wrong.  If you believe that M$ is wrong in what they are doing, then all parties involved are wrong, even the people who watch the videos(after knowing why or how they were made). 

Your example doesn't fit. Mostly because a drug dealer knows that he is doing is illegal. What the Youtubers did was still morally wrong though. 

I will also say that it doesn't make sense in this case to blame the viewers because they weren't aware of the circumstances until after the "promotion" ended.

So now you know that every person who did this is thinking?  If you are paid to do something, you know that what you are doing will have some type of consequence.  Most People posting on here having quickly decided that this is wrong somehow.  So, why couldn't the youtubers come to the same conclusion if it is so obvious. 

What this really boils down to is that M$ is giving a pittance of $$$ to people for favorably mentioning their product.  This happens thousands of times every hour of the day all over the world.  Yet, because the gamers don't really want to know how the world works around them and want to "just play games".  When they find out that the company or product that they were never going to buy anyway is advertising in a different way than they were aware of, they freak out.  This whole thing is no big deal and people need to get over it.

It is near the end of the end....

Landguy said:
Normchacho said:
Landguy said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Acevil said:

So, to compare your thought.

So, the drug dealer on the corner is not the problem, just the people who manufacture the drugs?

Every person invovled in something illegal(even though I think this is not illegal) are themselves doing something illegal.  What you want to do is pick and choose who is right and wrong.  If you believe that M$ is wrong in what they are doing, then all parties involved are wrong, even the people who watch the videos(after knowing why or how they were made). 

Your example doesn't fit. Mostly because a drug dealer knows that he is doing is illegal. What the Youtubers did was still morally wrong though. 

I will also say that it doesn't make sense in this case to blame the viewers because they weren't aware of the circumstances until after the "promotion" ended.

So now you know that every person who did this is thinking?  If you are paid to do something, you know that what you are doing will have some type of consequence.  Most People posting on here having quickly decided that this is wrong somehow.  So, why couldn't the youtubers come to the same conclusion if it is so obvious. 

What this really boils down to is that M$ is giving a pittance of $$$ to people for favorably mentioning their product.  This happens thousands of times every hour of the day all over the world.  Yet, because the gamers don't really want to know how the world works around them and want to "just play games".  When they find out that the company or product that they were never going to buy anyway is advertising in a different way than they were aware of, they freak out.  This whole thing is no big deal and people need to get over it.

Advertising in an illegal way.