By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft paying YouTubers for positive Xbox One coverage ( edited with more info )

Tagged games:

Only $3?at least $10 and i will think about it

Around the Network

Fucking lame regardless of whether or not its legal, just goes to show with games media, if partnered youtube broadcasters will fudge their opinion of something for a few dollars, what in the heavens are we trusting general gaming media for?

P.s. any positive effect this campaign will have is going to be negated by the bad press of the angry coverage about the questionable practices.

Damn MS, cool it with the evil.

Wow that's actually good marketing

This is an extremely unethical, deceitful practice and I am very glad it has been exposed. I hope Machinima's reputation is severely tarnished, and I hope Microsoft are fined heavily by the FTC. To those who say it is only marketing, it is not, it is propaganda. People are being paid to lie to you and misinform you, it just shows how little Microsoft actually care about their customers, and how unethical they are.

Around the Network

Well, if they took the bait, that's their fault. You jump in on a promotion where the clause says you can't discuss getting paid and you can't say anything disparaging about the product, then you're already kind of tainted. The most ridiculous part is that it's for so little money. This is the cost of having doubt cast over you forever.

Bribery is also giving a console for free

GribbleGrunger said:
Acevil said:

It actually has started, a lot of youtubers are pointing out how this destroys the integrity of youtubers. (Again this is more about youtubers lack of integrity than it is really microsoft). 

So instead of blaiming a company that is doing something illegal and underhand, you are pushing the onus onto Youtubers themselves. MS are and always have been an immoral company. This is why they are disliked by many people.

So, to compare your thought.

So, the drug dealer on the corner is not the problem, just the people who manufacture the drugs?

Every person invovled in something illegal(even though I think this is not illegal) are themselves doing something illegal.  What you want to do is pick and choose who is right and wrong.  If you believe that M$ is wrong in what they are doing, then all parties involved are wrong, even the people who watch the videos(after knowing why or how they were made). 

It is near the end of the end....

Pemalite said:
Normchacho said:
Pemalite said:

Agreed. It's like the whole purpose of "infomercials". - You NEVER see them say anything bad about the product, they just mindlessly drone on for hours about all the good stuff.

Anyway, I see no bad in this, Microsoft is kicking it's advertising gear into full to take the fight to it's competitors, which isn't bad by any stretch. (Ultimatly I would LOVE for all consoles to have a perfectly even amount of marketshare, it's what drives innovation and reduces prices in a capitalist world, but that's an idealism which probably won't occur.)

What? Except of course that at the begining of that infomercial it tells you it's a paid advertisment. It doesn't pretend to be an impartial, informative program and then try to sell you something. How is that so hard to see?

No, I doesn't always say it's a paid advertisement, at-least here.
However there is more to advertising then a commercial on Television.

Hows about adverts on a Billboard in a video game from the likes of Coca Cola? The game says nothing of such adverts.
Or hows about when you watch a movie and you see someone eating a Big Mac? That's also advertising.

I've also seen companies hand out/sell Hats, T-Shirts and Coffee Mugs for free with their company name and/or product/logo which is also advertising.

So by your logic, everything needs to have "advertisement" written all over it, which simply does not occur in the real world, people need to use some common sense and see that in a capitalist society, everything is advertising right down to the positive reviews someone might leave on Newegg.

Why people are so bent out of shape about this I will never know, Microsoft is behind Sony in sales, anything that allows those two to be on parity sales wise is good for everyone.

It's up to the consumers whether they will buy into it or not.

In the U.S. any form of traditional advertising such as TV (excluding infomercials), radio, or printed ads are considered assumptive and require the consumer to assume that anything being said is paid advertising. The only exception is if the add contains any form of non-celebrity endorsment in which case they must disclose that it is a paid endorsment.

Any other type of advertising, whether it be infomercials, Youtube videos, blogs, product placement, ect. They are required by law to disclose that it is a paid advertisement because it isn't obvious which are ads and which are not. For instance if you watch a video about the Xbox One  and there is no mention of it being a paid endorsment how do you know that what you're viewing is actually the opinion of the person who made the video or if they're being paid to say that?

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Landguy said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Acevil said:

So, to compare your thought.

So, the drug dealer on the corner is not the problem, just the people who manufacture the drugs?

Every person invovled in something illegal(even though I think this is not illegal) are themselves doing something illegal.  What you want to do is pick and choose who is right and wrong.  If you believe that M$ is wrong in what they are doing, then all parties involved are wrong, even the people who watch the videos(after knowing why or how they were made). 

Your example doesn't fit. Mostly because a drug dealer knows that he is doing is illegal. What the Youtubers did was still morally wrong though. 

I will also say that it doesn't make sense in this case to blame the viewers because they weren't aware of the circumstances until after the "promotion" ended.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.