By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft paying YouTubers for positive Xbox One coverage ( edited with more info )

Tagged games:

mysteryman said:

Regardless of your opinion of what constitutes reviewing, any discussion on your behalf would be your personal opinion. If you opinion has been paid for, irrespective of whether or not it aligns with your personal opinion, it needs to be noted, as there is now a potential for a conflict of interest.

You don't have to make up an opinion to take advantage of MS's offer.

For example, someone could make a video about the X1 games they're enjoying, explain why, and mention other games they're looking forward too. Simple way to make money without misleading the folks.

This whole thing seems pointless considering people already do that for free. Anyhow, nothing unethical was done on the part of MS in my opinion. No point in dragging this on, my mind isn't gonna change unless we get some new information.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

XBOXTWO hates being in second place I think. 

Aerys said:
Normchacho said:
Mr Puggsly said:
ganoncrotch said:

lol at the first bit and only portion I read of your comment. wow example of exactly what's going on here, I'll ignore it.

Paying someone to break the law is a crime in itself, also getting someone to sign a contract which in itself is breaking the law means the contract holds no value whatsoever. But feel free to ignore that too, keep in mind I'm referring to EU trade laws here not US ones so not sure if they would cover machinima but I know any of the European youtubers would not be able to sign into this form of advertising.

Right now there is only speculation of a law being broken. Even if a law was broken, I don't have to agree it was unethical.

I don't feel this contract is asking users to mislead people. That's why I have no problem with it.

It's asking for people to talk about a product but leave out anything negative. They are therefore being paid to give an impression of there product regardless of whether it is actually there true impression. How is that anything but misleading?

No, that's not the problem, this is not misleading because they are being paid, this is misleading because the contract ask them to lie.

This wouldnt be a problem if we all knew who is being paid , but they dont want us to know what opinion is bought, hat's one of the worst thing i've ever seen in the industry.

and i dont think MS is important, industry was find without them on the PS1 era, and they were almost non existant on the PS2 era.

Lol

An interesting  subject to say the least. Youtube commentators, no matter how big or small, should be saying what they feel regardless of cash incentive, it's that the moral thing to do right?

Mr Puggsly said:

This whole thing seems pointless considering people already do that for free. 

An this surely highlights the stupidity of the situation. There a loads of videos out there of people enjoying their XbOnes. Saying how good it is and explaining their enjoyment. People who like certain youtubers who are Xbox fans are more likely Xbox fans themselves so are more likely to already want/own an Xbox One. For the video maker is more money for doing exact what they were to begin with.

Videos on youtube are a niche most the time, those that randomly talk get more viewers because they appeal to everyone but those that talk over games get gamers watching, gamers have probably already decided what console they are getting.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:

For the video maker is more money for doing exact what they were to begin with.

Maybe some people are under the illusion only someone getting paid would actually say something positive about the X1.

If someone wants to use their fans to praise a product they don't enjoy, that's bad but MS can't be blamed for that. To the contrary, its a nice opportunity for people that genuinely enjoy the X1.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

People do please for the time being remember that this isn't the doing of Microsoft directly, it's their advertisers which are most likely a completely external company.
There is so much hate comments and stuff going onto videos on youtube about how Microsoft are directly doing this.... okay they might have picked a bad group to organize their advertising but still keep in mind that ever silly move that happens from one company isn't directly from the brain and desk of Steve Balmer.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Mr Puggsly said:
The Fury said:

For the video maker is more money for doing exact what they were to begin with.

Maybe people are under the illusion only someone getting paid would actually say something positive about the X1.

If someone wants to use their fans to praise a product they don't enjoy, MS can't be blamed for that. To the contrary, its a nice opportunity for people that geninely enjoy the X1.

The issue is "2.   You may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One or any of its Games in your Campaign Video;"

that line from the contract, there is no way you could talk about any game in reality without at least mentioning something bad about it. I love the shit outta GTA5 but if I was reviewing it I couldn't not mention that the way you get locked out of Saving at times and pushed into Story missions is just annoying... ya know can you really talk about any product and only mention positive things all the time? Would being paid help you achieve this?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Just remembered Major Nelsons chat a while ago about how the internet hatred for their system needs to go away.... This is some pretty bad timing right here.

ganoncrotch said:

The issue is "2.   You may not say anything negative or disparaging about Machinima, Xbox One or any of its Games in your Campaign Video;"

that line from the contract, there is no way you could talk about any game in reality without at least mentioning something bad about it. I love the shit outta GTA5 but if I was reviewing it I couldn't not mention that the way you get locked out of Saving at times and pushed into Story missions is just annoying... ya know can you really talk about any product and only mention positive things all the time? Would being paid help you achieve this?

They weren't getting paid to do reviews. They were getting paid to make people aware of products and discuss what they like about them. The video only needs to be 60 seconds so they don't have to make anything in depth.

The only thing that sucks about this is people will think you're only saying something positive about a product for money.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
mysteryman said:

Regardless of your opinion of what constitutes reviewing, any discussion on your behalf would be your personal opinion. If you opinion has been paid for, irrespective of whether or not it aligns with your personal opinion, it needs to be noted, as there is now a potential for a conflict of interest.

You don't have to make up an opinion to take advantage of MS's offer.

For example, someone could make a video about the X1 games they're enjoying, explain why, and mention other games they're looking forward too. Simple way to make money without misleading the folks.

This whole thing seems pointless considering people already do that for free. Anyhow, nothing unethical was done on the part of MS in my opinion. No point in dragging this on, my mind isn't gonna change unless we get some new information.

How do you explain why without an opinion?

All the information is already there, it's unethical not to disclose. You're free to your own opinion, even if it's wrong.

A further point to consider: someone may already be for the Xbone, but have minor quiggles with some features. In order to qualify to be paid, they wouldn't be allowed to bring these up. It's a very slippery slope.