By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So what are the chances of the Wii-U becoming another PS3?

Do you still have faith in Wii-U, and can it be another PS3-esq story?

Hell yeah it can! 71 16.03%

Maybe 76 17.16%

Not sure... 53 11.96%

No way in hell 200 45.15%

The PS3 was a success? 43 9.71%

Total:443

Well the PS3 had lots of third party support, even though the 360 had better ports, the PS3's third party games managed to catch up after a while.

The Wii U has none 3rd party support other than the annual huge ones which will play MUCH better on the PS4 and X1 in a few years. Nintendo is on its own, as usual. Personally, I don't see the Wii U selling more than 20 million lifetime, and this coming from a HUGE Nintendo fan. Many of my favourite games of all time is from the Wii, and I don't see anything like it from what I've experienced with Wii U.

I just hope Nintendo think a little more into the next console. While it doesn't have to be as futureproof as a PC, their third party relations needs to be.

Yep.

Around the Network

It will come back, just not like the 3DS and PS3 did. The main thing is the lack of third party support, which the PS3 didn't have to deal with. People don't want a Nintendo games only console anymore (though obviously there will be some nice spikes when Zelda, Smash, and Mario Kart all come out).

0 CHANCE

PS3 sold 10 million units a year in its worst years, the Wii U would be considered a success and miracle if it managed that, and there is no way that will happen.

Train wreck said:

I don't know why threds like these keep popping up.

When the Wii U can capture games like...you know...anything from Bethesda, multiple mainline Final Fantasies, Kingdom Hearts, Castlevania, all fighting games (not just niche ones like Smash), sleeper hits like Demon Souls, an exclusive Metal Gear, Uncharted and user bases that appreciates yearly releases of games like Madden, FIFA, NBA2K, COD...then maybe the Wii U can stay outside PS3's door.

Sony's early PS3 problems were unique to Sony, do not know why people continually try to extend it to Nintendo.

The PS3 in its 14th month (the Wii U current timeline) saw the start of massive 3rd party support on the console (both exclusive and non), It was getting all the games that the x360 was getting, got an exclusive Metal Gear that came out during the Summer, Irrational Games games redid bioshock, Uncharted was turning into a sleeper hit...events the Wii U will never get...and these were just the game portions, not even counting redesigns and price drops.

LTD sales ending for that quarter were pushing 13 million, the Wii U will be lucky to half that.

As Wii U will never have the compelling multiplats of PS4/X1 it could at least sold better with better profits to Nintendo. PS3 began at 600€ and is now at 200€ BECAUSE Sony was willing to make frequent redesigns (costly in itself), the only way to drop the price of their machine.

I am not sure, given Nintendo history of redesigning their hardware (because of lack of will from the executives mainly Iwata & Co), that they will be able to drop significantly the price of their console quickly.

They should already invest in making the Wii U in the 28nm die process. But I really doubt they even planned that already. Sony has already planned and designed a new model of its PS3 at 20-ish nm die process. Probably scheduled to be released this year.

I don't see it happening. Third party support didn't stop on the PS3 like it has on the WiiU.  Its hard to compete when some of the biggest multiplat games aren't on your console. 

Predicting that Second Son (PS4) will outsell Titanfall (XOne) in lifetime sales.  Click here for sales comparison thread.

Around the Network
justiceiro said:
lucidium said:
A relatively high profile game for the WiiU was shelved today, no doubt you'll hear about it in the news over the next couple weeks.

Uhhh, a insider among us.

As long its not watch dogs, i'm cool(CoD can go).

it probably is, i cant think of any high profile game that was announced. Honestly if preorders were any indication then i dont blame them.

DevilRising said:
fatslob-:O said:

The PS3 was a miracle for the most part. The WII U hasn't a chance in hell of ever recovering like that and to make matters worse all of their franchises lost alot of power too which makes me doubt that it can top the gamecube.

No offense, but what in the literal fuck are you talking about?

Their franchises haven't lost power. Mario 3D World is selling nicely, considering the install-base. Mario Galaxy sold 10 million+ copies on the strength of FAR more Wii owners at the time. Same with NSMBWii.NSMBU, by the way, still has an over 50% attach-rate, last I checked.

And Mario Kart and Smash Bros. are still two of the hottest gaming brands around. And if the next 3D Zelda is as epic and amazing as it deserves to be, people will care, and people will buy it.

SM3DW is selling awfully for the most part because it's probably one of the lowest selling debuted 3D mario title. Don't give me that excuse of lower install base. The point of releasing games is to make people buy the consoles. The fact that NSMBU is selling significantly less compared to NSMBWII means that the franchise has lost power. I use sales numbers, not attach rates. 

FYI those franchises will also probably also have their lowest selling installment on the WII U. The next 3D zelda might be good if they make it realistic compared to wind waker otherwise it will be another lost cause. 

What are you talking about ?! I'm referring to sales numbers the whole time. 

haxxiy said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Impossible. Wii U will never lose as much money as PS3 if any at all.

So Nintendo's losses are coming out of thin air, then? Surely you aren't suggesting the 3DS of all things is being sold below production costs.

I meant the Wii U could end in the black.

PS3 lost a lot of money.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

roughly the percentage of 3rd parties backing them

Sony came from selling 150 milion PS2 and from crushing its rivals, but with PS3 they ended up losing with nintendo and in a technical draw with Microsoft so in my opinion PS3 was not a succes and by the way Wii U is doomed