By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Uncharted is now a bigger IP Than Zelda

sales2099 said:
DanneSandin said:
Ucell said:
DanneSandin said:

I actually don't know how much Forza average in terms of sale and metacritic, I just thought I'd throw it in there because Xbox fans are fast to hail it as a bigger franchise than Gran Turismo - and GT being a bigger franchise than UC...

Haha. Bigger than GT? Gotta be joking.

Forza 3 is the best selling in the series at 5.39 million units followed by FM4 at 4.13 million units, FM2 at just above 3 million, FM at over 1 milion and FM5 at below a million.

GT 5 has sold nearly 11 million units by comparison. Although Forza games have higher Metacritic averages.

Oh, I think you missunderstand me =) I'M not saying Forza > GT! I said that that's what (certain) Xbox fans are saying. Not me =) I'm with you that GT > Forza

No. We say its better via metacritic, not sales. We are on a sales website....I hope you honestly don't think we view the series as a better overall seller.

Huh, I thought you were arguing about which series sold the most or something... Did not know you were actually talking about meta score. Well, please excuse my ignorance =)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network

Most of the Uncharted games have been HEAVILY bundled for long periods of time with the PS3 over the years. Also, Uncharted 1 and 2 have been sold together as a game bundle for $20 for years. Skyward Sword wasn't ever bundled, nor has it ever been available for $20. Twilight Princess has been a Nintendo Select for years at $20 and still sells well, so I can only imagine how much higher SS sales would be had it become a Nintendo Select as well. Hell, if TP and SS were bundled TOGETHER for $20, I think sales for BOTH would be significantly higher. Also, Zelda is a more hardcore series that tends to appeal more to console owners than handheld owners, thus why the handheld games don't tend to sell as high. Even still, comparing any of the handheld Zelda games to the Vita Uncharted game, Zelda wins easily. And then, comparing the console Zelda games to the 3 console Uncharted games, Zelda also wins. That's all.

Upcoming Games To Get

Definite: Kirby Star Allies (Switch), Mario Tennis Aces (Switch), Fire Emblem (Switch), Yoshi (Switch), Pokemon (Switch), Kingdom Hearts 3 (PS4), Monster Hunter World (PS4)

Considering: Fe (Switch), Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Switch), The World Ends With You (Switch), Ys VIII (Switch), Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition (PS4), Kingdom Hearts 2.8 Remix (PS4), The Last Guardian (PS4), Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS4), Anthem (PS4), Shenmue 3 (PS4), WiLD (PS4)

TK14 said:
Most of the Uncharted games have been HEAVILY bundled for long periods of time with the PS3 over the years. Also, Uncharted 1 and 2 have been sold together as a game bundle for $20 for years. Skyward Sword wasn't ever bundled, nor has it ever been available for $20. Twilight Princess has been a Nintendo Select for years at $20 and still sells well, so I can only imagine how much higher SS sales would be had it become a Nintendo Select as well. Hell, if TP and SS were bundled TOGETHER for $20, I think sales for BOTH would be significantly higher. Also, Zelda is a more hardcore series that tends to appeal more to console owners than handheld owners, thus why the handheld games don't tend to sell as high. Even still, comparing any of the handheld Zelda games to the Vita Uncharted game, Zelda wins easily. And then, comparing the console Zelda games to the 3 console Uncharted games, Zelda also wins. That's all.

Yeah, this whole thread is silly. You just explained why in very lucid, easy to understand terms. I think we're all wasting our time engaging with this premise.

You don't really know how statistics work do you.

Now lets see what happens when you leave out Orcarina of Time 3D.

3.23m + 3.71m + 4.99m + 6.91m + 3.27m = 18.84

Zelda                                                                                           vs                                                                    Uncharted
4 Zelda Games - 18.84m 4 Uncharted Games = 18.41m
Average - 4.71m Average - 4.60m

The proof is there.

that's not proof,you just changed the rules,to fit what you wanted to see.

Around the Network
Kane1389 said:
SlyFoxDeveraux said:
Uh... context. Most of those Zeldas are portables which have tended to fly under the radar in the past, Zelda-wise, before ALBW and aren't usually seen as core entries to the series, in the way that Vita Uncharted isn't seen that way either. Meanwhile Skyward Sword had the albatross of appearing on console on its way out which hadn't had a game in a year.

Only Twilight Princess was in a situation closely mirror the situation of a game like Uncharted 2 or Uncharted 3 where it was on a successful console and was seen as a major entry in the franchise. And it's the best-selling game you included.

All that said... so what? Who's comparing Zelda and Uncharted so closely? Uncharted has become Sony's flagship. Zelda, successful though it is, is not Nintendo's powerhouse money franchise like Mario is.

No, that is still Gran Turismo 

Meh. In Europe maybe. But I really don't think it's what it used to be.

oldschoolfool said:

That is exactly the point. Statistics are a tricky matter. A slight change in the rules can cause your "factual proof" to come tumbling down. As you said, people make the statistics fit what they want to see. This is very common. If the OP originally wanted to make it seem like Zelda is a bigger IP than Uncharted, all he had to do was not include one game. This goes to show how less weight these "proofs" carry.

Did you forget that Uncharted games have been bundled with PS3s? Have Zelda games been bundled with hardware before as much? (Aside from Wii U)

jigokutamago said:
oldschoolfool said:

That is exactly the point. Statistics are a tricky matter. A slight change in the rules can cause your "factual proof" to come tumbling down. As you said, people make the statistics fit what they want to see. This is very common. If the OP originally wanted to make it seem like Zelda is a bigger IP than Uncharted, all he had to do was not include one game. This goes to show how less weight these "proofs" carry.

As the expression goes, "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics"

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Wind Waker HD would be unfair

Includes Ocarina of Time 3D

So far what I see is that almost every Zelda game ever has outsold Golden Abyss. Gonna have to add that beautiful "asterisk on home consoles" Sony fans love to whip out all the time.