By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tired of Kuturagi's insanity, here's Miyamoto...

Around the Network

Legend11 said:
And Super Mario Galaxy isn't just rehash of the old game ideas? (Stomp on your enemies, gain a power by breaking a box, collect coins, etc).

Did I say it wasn't? I said it was less of one then Halo which is truth like it or not.

Talking to Nintendo fanatics is like talking to a brick wall... Halo? It's not so great, we had Goldeneye 10 years ago.... get over it is possible to find better games than Nintendo marked ones...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Legend11 said:

I just hate when Miyamoto lectures to other companies about making endless sequels of established hits. That and when he dismisses and belittles games like Halo. Resident Evil, etc. Or when he and Nintendo tells us what we need and want. Like telling us we don't need or want online games (they said it last generation and it was because at the time they couldn't find a way to profit a lot off of gamers from it). Oh and when he says that companies should start censoring their games or only releasing "happy games". I don't watch the Disney Channel and I wouldn't want to see it on every channel so why should it be that way with games? He says they're for everyone yet he then seems to imply that they need to be childlike or not have adult themes. He may be a great designer but he and Nintendo shouldn't act like they're the end all of knowing what people want in games.

Want to know what I think makes them look like real hypocrites? They put down games like Resident Evil then paid to have Resident Evil 4 exclusive on their system. I guess to them money means more than the words they say and that it must all be bullshit then. They're even having Resident Evil 4 on the Wii and another Resident Evil game that's exclusive to the Wii. Next time Nintendo regurgitates the same old BS statements to the press about dark games remember that.

Miyamoto's comments are his own, not Nintendo's entirely. And RE isn't mentioned in the interview, so your comment on that is wrong, same as Nintendo paying for RE to be exclusive. If that was the case, there would be an actual contract, which would have prevented a PS2 port.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Halo isn't anything original at all. I think that just about any company that invests enough time and money can make it. I'm not trying to take anything away from Halo because it's an amazingly fun game, but it's the same old formula.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

Around the Network

johnsobas said:
Halo isn't anything original at all. I think that just about any company that invests enough time and money can make it. I'm not trying to take anything away from Halo because it's an amazingly fun game, but it's the same old formula.

Super Mario Galaxy is not the same formula as Mario 64? Pokemon is not always the same formula? The new Pokemon is almost exactly like every other one, with more pokemon and slightly better looking and the ability to play wi fi and online. Does that make Pokemon a bad game? No.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

@ckmlb:

I think that's what Miyamoto was saying - he could make an FPS along the vein of Halo, but it's not really his "thing". I don't see how that is in any way arrogance.

What's wrong with that? It's like Bungie saying they can make an adventure game along the lines of Sam and Max or Monkey Island but they choose not to. Square-Enix can undoubtedly make games in other genres -say, for instance, an FPS, but they stick to doing what they do best - RPGs. Nothing wrong with that!

And personally, I never thought Halo was that great (me and my aversion towards gamepads for FPSs) - I prefer much more Far Cry - or for that matter, any FPS that does not use a gamepad (and no, adding keyboard and mouse to a console doesn't count).

@Legend11: I got bored with UT2K4 after about 6 months of "Saturday frag-a-thons". It was fun for a (long) while, but now I prefer something more tactical and preferably, something that will scare me senseless. But these are just preferences, and I'm sure you have a lot of fun with UT but certainly you can appreciate the fact that not everyone likes that game (I just got sick of it) and I'm sure many will appreciate the fact that you don't get tired from that game!

Finally, I think the bar on FPSs for a PC are set much higher than most FPSs on consoles; Halo was a critically acclaimed hit on the Xbox but wasn't nearly as good on the PC, partially due to the engine being long in the tooth when it finally did come out, but also because there are far more FPSs to choose from for the PC, where competition among FPSs are much more fierce.

Miyamoto is not a god - he's pretty damn mortal. But he is a great game designer, one of the best there ever was (along with others of course). And again, for Halo on the Xbox to be a breakthrough hit while relatively failing on a PC (despite it being released over a year later) speaks volumes about how much more variety there is for FPS on a PC. Halo was great for what it brought to consoles, but when you pit it against others on a PC it's really nothing special, IMO.

First of all, Miyamoto has never told other people what kinds of games they should make. He has bashed games from others many times, sometimes best-selling smash hits. But watch his GDC keynote from this year. He specifically says that HE likes to make people smile, but he understands that not every game developer wants to do that.

Second, I think saying "I could do Halo" is a statement of supreme confidence, and some would say cockiness. I don't think Miyamoto should even think about making an FPS, though. I don't think he could make one which sells nearly 8 million copies.

Third... Super Mario Galaxy is a platformer where you can run around on every side of objects... Futhermore, the player controls a second object on-screen using a pointer! If you don't consider that groundbreaking, and injecting new life into a stale genre, then you have no perspective.

And along those lines... Nintendo may overuse the Mario character, but they don't just churn out 1,000 pointless rehashes of the same game... Key franchises like Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash Bros., etc., have consistently gotten ONE iteration per console. No more. Part of the reason Nintendo can sell so many games, is that they DON'T overuse their key franchises. They could certainly spit out 3 main series Mario games every generation if they felt like it. Instead they establish NEW mega-franchises, like Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, and Brain Training on DS (the first two of which will probably be one-iteration-per-system).

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Erik Aston said:

First of all, Miyamoto has never told other people what kinds of games they should make. He has bashed games from others many times, sometimes best-selling smash hits. But watch his GDC keynote from this year. He specifically says that HE likes to make people smile, but he understands that not every game developer wants to do that.

Second, I think saying "I could do Halo" is a statement of supreme confidence, and some would say cockiness. I don't think Miyamoto should even think about making an FPS, though. I don't think he could make one which sells nearly 8 million copies.

Third... Super Mario Galaxy is a platformer where you can run around on every side of objects... Futhermore, the player controls a second object on-screen using a pointer! If you don't consider that groundbreaking, and injecting new life into a stale genre, then you have no perspective.

And along those lines... Nintendo may overuse the Mario character, but they don't just churn out 1,000 pointless rehashes of the same game... Key franchises like Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Smash Bros., etc., have consistently gotten ONE iteration per console. No more. Part of the reason Nintendo can sell so many games, is that they DON'T overuse their key franchises. They could certainly spit out 3 main series Mario games every generation if they felt like it. Instead they establish NEW mega-franchises, like Animal Crossing, Nintendogs, and Brain Training on DS (the first two of which will probably be one-iteration-per-system).

Miyamoto did not mean he could have made Halo itself. Don't any of you know about figurative statements? If he did an FPS, he means he would try for his own style of FPS, rather than a game based largely on established standards, even if it is a highly refined example of those standards (which Halo is).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs