By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - There may be a good chance SSB won't boost the Wii U...

Are you getting a Wii U for SSB?

Yes, I want a Wii U and S... 105 46.26%

Yes, I want to play it on... 38 16.74%

No, 1 game isn't worth it 29 12.78%

No, I don't want SSB 28 12.33%

Maybe when the Wii U is really cheap 27 11.89%

Total:227

Those are really pessimistic options in the poll. I'm getting it for both.

Around the Network

im getting one, but not just for smash bros. new Mario 3dworld, pikmin, watchdogs, bayonetta, x, w101, smash, eventual Metroid, eventual Zelda, and maybe mariokart. I do wish there were more 3rd party games that impressed. Can't wait for watch dogs, but that's about it.

Well Super Smash Bros Melee and Mario Kart Double Dash got Gamecube to 20m. That's the most people can hope for.

Some people will, some people won't. I know people who bought the XB1 or PS4 just for a slightly better FIFA, NFS, and Madden even though they had the games on the PS360. I for one already own a Wii U, and like many, will get SSBU on it.

The other day I ordered a pizza, and when the guy from Domino's came I asked him if he wanted to buy a PS4. He said no. Later, I went to pick up my dry cleaning, and I asked the drycleaning lady if she was going to get an XBox One. She said no.

There is a good chance that XBox One and PS4 sales will drop sharply...

Around the Network

seems like someone is fearing a WiiU boost

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

MohammadBadir said:
your friends aren't the entire universe

No, but just take a quick look at the US Preorders. SSB is historically a very popular franchise in NA, yet the new Wii U title is still not on the list. It can't be that the game is too far out, either, considering there's a plethora of PS4 and XBone titles there, most of which still don't even have a solid release date. Let's face it, the big titles that people are hoping to save the U might not succeed. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Some of the responses in this thread...man people get awfully defensive over consoles, cannot even have a good discussion.

If SmashU and MK8 have the same impact that Brawl and WiiKart did on hardware sales, it won't help the WiiU's long term prospects in the slightest.

That year (2008) was the Wii's best year, and it saw a 50% increase in yearly console sales. If the WiiU has a 50% increase, that would put it's 2014 sales at 4.5 million units, and it would never see those kinds of numbers again. It's LTD sales would be 9.7 million in that case; 2 years in, the Gamecube was at 14 million units globally, its' own Mario Kart and Smash games doing nothing to help it gain market share.

And as an added bonus, this will be the first entry in the series that will also be releasing on Nintendo's latest handheld at the same time. Thus it has to deal with the issue of cannibalization in a way that none of it's predecessors did, on the worst selling console Nintendo has made since the Virtual Boy. I doubt your friends are a special case in that regard.

In that light, it's hard to expect much from SmashU in terms of reversing the WiiU's fortunes.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

DialgaMarine said:
MohammadBadir said:
your friends aren't the entire universe

No, but just take a quick look at the US Preorders. SSB is historically a very popular franchise in NA, yet the new Wii U title is still not on the list. It can't be that the game is too far out, either, considering there's a plethora of PS4 and XBone titles there, most of which still don't even have a solid release date. Let's face it, the big titles that people are hoping to save the U might not succeed. 

1.  The preorder page is an absolute joke.

2.  Nintendo games are generally less preordered then others.  Mario Kart 7 for instance had 423K preorders.  Mass Effect 3 (360) had 985K.  Mario Kart 7 sold 3.5 million copies in the US.  ME3 has sold about 1.8 million.

3.  Go to Gamestop's website and try to preorder Smash for Wii U.  Go ahead, try it.

4.  Which games for XBox One are there without a launch window?  There is destiny (which gives you beta access when you preorder it), watchdogs (which had a release date and was delayed), Halo 5 (all the way down at 29th place), Dying Light (exclusive modes available through preorder), and the Order 1886.  The order seems kind of odd to me honestly.  It's at about 100K, just about 60K short of Infamous Second Son, a game that seems to have a lot more buzz and a franchise that actually exists.  Even IF we take that number seriously, it is the exception.  Any other games with a high volume of preorders have release dates, had release dates, or are giving exclusive content.  If Mega Man was just for preorders of the game, I'm sure preorders would be higher.

5.  The 3DS version isn't on the preorders list either... do you think that's going to bomb too?

So yeah... preorder date in this case is as useuless as TC's three friends.