By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN's Game of the Year

vivster said:
"Breaking news!

New job offers at Naughty Dog for carpenters with previous experience in trophy shelf construction."

They said that most of their trophy cabinet was filled with Uncharted 2 trophies, this seems to have almost matched that game's level of success

I think it is well deserved. It probably isn't the most fun video game, but it is so well constructed and moved me more than any other game. I played it shortly after the Walking Dead and to me the differences showed what make video games the best medium. The way that the story ties into the gameplay really draws you rather than boring you with "nearly game" mechanics. TV shows are great, but the characters just can't draw you in in the same way that something like the Last of Us can.

Can't wait to see what we're going to get from them in 2014

For any ND fans, I strongly reccomend IGN's history of Naughty Dog. They just posted "the Uncharted years" but I highly reccomend reading from the start if you haven't. http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/04/rising-to-greatness-the-history-of-naughty-dog?page=1

Around the Network
FlamingWeazel said:
MTZehvor said:

Hmm. I still don't understand why so many people love it so much...

Regardless, congrats to Naughty Dog. 

The simple concept that not everyone thinks like you is hard to grasp? Amazing story, characters and game for most people, thus critical acclaim and the awards it got. If you didn't think so...OK.

Well, actually, yes. Thinking like myself is clearly preferential. I can't understand why no one's on board with being more MT-like yet.

In all seriousness, no, it has nothing to do with not getting that people have different opinions. It's more of I don't understand what people find so appealing about the game's story and gameplay outside of the generic "I found it fun."

Consider it this way: There are people out there who absolutely adore the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Personally, I don't understand why they happen to enjoy it so much. I don't get what they find appealing in the narrative and character development (which I personally find to be amateurish and poorly written). 

Or take the Devil May Cry reboot from this year. A large portion of review sites praised it for having a "compelling narrative." Personally, I don't have a clue as to what they found in the game's characters, dialogue, or story elements that was even mildly compelling or interesting, other than the overarching "well I liked the game's story."

It's less of a "I'm surprised not everyone thinks like me all the time," and more of a "I'm surprised everyone else happens to share this particular opinion which I wasn't even close to having."

I think GTA is a better game. The last of us just wasn't that fun to play and some parts of it were seriously frustrating...not the good frustrating!

GTA for me appeals to a lot more people, and it has a fun element that is rarely matched by most other modern day AAA games. I feel like reviewers and award givers often overlook the fun element that a game provides.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

MTZehvor said:
FlamingWeazel said:
MTZehvor said:

The simple concept that not everyone thinks like you is hard to grasp? Amazing story, characters and game for most people, thus critical acclaim and the awards it got. If you didn't think so...OK.

Well, actually, yes. Thinking like myself is clearly preferential. I can't understand why no one's on board with being more MT-like yet.

In all seriousness, no, it has nothing to do with not getting that people have different opinions. It's more of I don't understand what people find so appealing about the game's story and gameplay outside of the generic "I found it fun."

Consider it this way: There are people out there who absolutely adore the Star Wars prequel trilogy. Personally, I don't understand why they happen to enjoy it so much. I don't get what they find appealing in the narrative and character development (which I personally find to be amateurish and poorly written). 

Or take the Devil May Cry reboot from this year. A large portion of review sites praised it for having a "compelling narrative." Personally, I don't have a clue as to what they found in the game's characters, dialogue, or story elements that was even mildly compelling or interesting, other than the overarching "well I liked the game's story."

It's less of a "I'm surprised not everyone thinks like me all the time," and more of a "I'm surprised everyone else happens to share this particular opinion which I wasn't even close to having."

I think i share some of that MT'ness

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

The Best of the best won. TLoU is one of a kind. I wish i could erase it from my mind and experience it all over again. Alas, a man can dream.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Around the Network

Who didn't see that coming?

I can't wait to pick up this game. I watched a lets play and 10 minutes into it I could tell this game was something special. I quit the video and have been waiting for it to drop in price. Went from 59.99 to 39.99...I wonder if it will go lower soon hee hee. There's too many good games on the PS3 imho, it's just not fair to the other consoles out there.

Shinobi-san said:
MTZehvor said:
FlamingWeazel said:
MTZehvor said:

I think i share some of that MT'ness

Another convert. Woot!

People are so enthralled with the game.........honestly, if it had been a film, it would have been direct to dvd. It's okay, but nowhere near the hype.

IGN is a pro Sony website anyway. Not surprising.