By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Western-developed game with the most disappointing 2013 sales?

Tagged games:

Most disappointing 2013 sales?

Army of Two: The Devil’s Cartel 7 5.04%

Castlevania: Lords of Sha... 9 6.47%

Fuse 30 21.58%

Gears of War: Judgment 15 10.79%

God of War: Ascension 11 7.91%

Killzone Mercenary 8 5.76%

Lost Planet 3 15 10.79%

Rayman Legends 21 15.11%

Tearaway 15 10.79%

Other (please explain in comments) 7 5.04%

Total:138

JayWood2010 said:

Though I would say Beyond: Two Souls should get a mention as well.  A lot of people were really hyped for that game and it didnt do so hot.

Yep, seriously considered that one too.  And Splinter Cell: Blacklist.  But when I was looking through sales, both of these were pushing 1m (or exceeding it) and I wondered whether it was really fair to include them.  When you've got a new IP like Fuse selling sub 200k and then you've got Beyond pushing 1m, there's a big difference.  Especially since budget wise, I'd imagine they're fairly similar.

Around the Network

Rayman definitely would have sold more had it launched as scheduled on Wii U (likely not if it had remained exclusive altogether). The hype was there, the preorder numbers were solid, then Ubisoft just decided to piss all over us and got exactly what they deserved

(not that i was going to buy Rayman either way, but others clearly were)

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

the preorder numbers were solid,

Frown.

I opted for GoW: Judgment. Never been a huge fan of the series but they have always been seen as the benchmark for 3rd person cover shooters. This was one of the Xbox's key franchises and failed to come anywhere near the original trilogy in terms of sales.

Now Gears is on hiatus and I hope it come up with some fresh ideas before kicking off a new Gears saga once the playerbase is refreshed.

#SaveShenmue

Top 5 Most Anticipated Games:

- Quantum Break
- Cyberpunk 2077
- Destiny
- The Division
- Final Fantasy XV

Kresnik said:

Mr Khan said:

the preorder numbers were solid,

Frown.

Were they not? I seem to remember numbers suggesting that the first week sales at least would have been higher (either just on Wii U or altogether, i quite forget) if it had launched on time just on Wii U (again, not about any kind of fan-rage for loss of an exclusive, just for the nonsensical decision to take the game away from Wii U owners for 7 months to stroke Microsoft's ego or something). I could be mistaken.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Mr Khan said:

Were they not? I seem to remember numbers suggesting that the first week sales at least would have been higher (either just on Wii U or altogether, i quite forget) if it had launched on time just on Wii U (again, not about any kind of fan-rage for loss of an exclusive, just for the nonsensical decision to take the game away from Wii U owners for 7 months to stroke Microsoft's ego or something). I could be mistaken.

If you're referring to the pre-order numbers here, then yes, they were pretty decent.

It's just, the pre-order numbers here are crap.  Really, really crap.  And I say that out of respect for what ioi does here (even if I do berate him more often than I praise him) but I don't think he has any idea what he's doing with the pre-order numbers.  They'll show games getting like 40-50k pre-orders and then opening with a 10k first week.

I don't think they can be a reliable source for anything, really.

probably fuse. I expected low sales,but some how I was still disapointed.

NintendoPie said:
Are we permitted to yell "BOMBA!" in this thread, Snik? Because those Castlevania sales have me itching to.

I'm amazed how poorly that game sold. Ironically, a Vita port may have nearly doubled their sales.

I really need to get around to playing it before Lords of Shadow 2 comes out (I'm actually a huge CastleVania fan). I'm a bit miffed with the developers over it though. They didn't make a Vita port apparently because the game really benefitted from 3D... then didn't include stereoscopic 3D with the XBLA/PSN ports. >_<

But it in't the most disappointing sales, because 3rd party software just doesn't seem to sell on 3DS.

I think the most disappointing sales for me are Tearaway because it's pretty much the most interesting, new and innovative release so far in the 8th generation and it's been pretty much completely ignored by gamers despite this. Then I'd say the massive declines seen by the Gears/God of War games. Makes you wonder what the 8th gen big guns will be.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Kresnik said:

JayWood2010 said:

Though I would say Beyond: Two Souls should get a mention as well.  A lot of people were really hyped for that game and it didnt do so hot.

Yep, seriously considered that one too.  And Splinter Cell: Blacklist.  But when I was looking through sales, both of these were pushing 1m (or exceeding it) and I wondered whether it was really fair to include them.  When you've got a new IP like Fuse selling sub 200k and then you've got Beyond pushing 1m, there's a big difference.  Especially since budget wise, I'd imagine they're fairly similar.

Thats true.  I dont believe people thought Beyond Twop souls was going to sell multimillions .  Prob though it would be simillar to heavy rain in terms of numbers so youre right.  As long as it has decent legs it should do find for QD.

Why is everyone voting for Fuse? It deserved those poor sales.