By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Seriously Why Doesn't Microsoft Just Buy Sony?

Figgycal said:

Unless Microsoft wanted to start producing movies, releasing music albums, making T.V. shows, and become a dedicated electronics manufacturer - it makes no sense. What would MS gain from buying Sony aside from a monopoly in the console market? They're already much more profitable than sony by just being a software company - why change your entire corporation and risk going into debt?

Plus Sony isn't a tiny small business. It is one of the largest corporations on Earth.

Sony actually has a current valuation of less than Nintendo's.  Even with all it's manufacturing and insurance companies it's rounding at the low 17 Billion, while Nintendo is 18 Billion.

Rather amzing isn't it?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They believe Microsoft is so focused on alternative OS competition since everything is becoming a multimedia device that they must destroy all competition. Thats the reason they made a tablet, its the reason they bought Nokia and its also the reason they are at Sony's throats. They couldn't give two craps about Nintendo. The Xbox makes a shit ton of money but its nothing compared to what Microsoft is used to making. As slight as it is Apple has cut into Microsofts dominant figures in the PC/OS market. The shareholders believe Microsoft is spreading itself too thin and everything outside of the PC is a distraction. Microsoft is a monopolistic company and anyone who succeeds and had an OS with multimedia processing power is the enemy. They tried to work with Sony and Sony denied them before the original Xbox came out. They took it as a sign of war when Sony denied them. 

Good grief, I would really be curious to where you get this information.

First, Apple, in 20 years, still hasn't been able to may any significant dent in the PC market.  The success they had is from the mobile/tablet market.  And just want to remind you Bill Gate himself introduce the tablet in 2001, that Apple later copied to make it into the ipad.  (Just like how Xerox made the GUI that became Windows and Apple Os.)

If they are 'after Sony's throats' then why is Sony still a preferred partner of Microsoft? And Sony just announced a new flip tablet, with get this, Windows 8.1 on it.  http://www.zdnet.com/ces-2014-sony-introduces-799-vaio-fit-11a-flip-pc-windows-8-1-laptop-tablet-hybrid-7000024923/

They know PC's are stalling, which is why they are making tablets and bought Nokia. The PC market is still there, but another market is growing.

"Microsoft is a monopolistic company and anyone who succeeds and had an OS with multimedia processing power is the enemy."  Seriously?  They have been making APPLE Software for years, and years.  Apple wouldn't be a company today without Microsoft Software, or the 200 million Gates invested with non voting shares to keep them afloat.

While Sony did, and has a few times (like the new High Def DVD replacement and gaming) refuse to work with Microsoft it's pretty rare.  I think you are forgetting who has done the attacking.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They believe Microsoft is so focused on alternative OS competition since everything is becoming a multimedia device that they must destroy all competition. Thats the reason they made a tablet, its the reason they bought Nokia and its also the reason they are at Sony's throats. They couldn't give two craps about Nintendo. The Xbox makes a shit ton of money but its nothing compared to what Microsoft is used to making. As slight as it is Apple has cut into Microsofts dominant figures in the PC/OS market. The shareholders believe Microsoft is spreading itself too thin and everything outside of the PC is a distraction. Microsoft is a monopolistic company and anyone who succeeds and had an OS with multimedia processing power is the enemy. They tried to work with Sony and Sony denied them before the original Xbox came out. They took it as a sign of war when Sony denied them. 

Good grief, I would really be curious to where you get this information.

First, Apple, in 20 years, still hasn't been able to may any significant dent in the PC market.  The success they had is from the mobile/tablet market.  And just want to remind you Bill Gate himself introduce the tablet in 2001, that Apple later copied to make it into the ipad.  (Just like how Xerox made the GUI that became Windows and Apple Os.)

If they are 'after Sony's throats' then why is Sony still a preferred partner of Microsoft? And Sony just announced a new flip tablet, with get this, Windows 8.1 on it.  http://www.zdnet.com/ces-2014-sony-introduces-799-vaio-fit-11a-flip-pc-windows-8-1-laptop-tablet-hybrid-7000024923/

They know PC's are stalling, which is why they are making tablets and bought Nokia. The PC market is still there, but another market is growing.

"Microsoft is a monopolistic company and anyone who succeeds and had an OS with multimedia processing power is the enemy."  Seriously?  They have been making APPLE Software for years, and years.  Apple wouldn't be a company today without Microsoft Software, or the 200 million Gates invested with non voting shares to keep them afloat.

While Sony did, and has a few times (like the new High Def DVD replacement and gaming) refuse to work with Microsoft it's pretty rare.  I think you are forgetting who has done the attacking.

If you don't see the writing on the wall that anyone who has an OS of their own on a multimedia device is a threat to Microsoft there is a grave problem with your perception of Microsoft, my friend. Microsoft is no wolf in sheeps clothing...because they need no sheeps clothing.

"Microsoft originally got into the console business to "stop Sony", a former Microsoft executive has claimed, before suggesting that, even to this day, Xbox is "not a big money-making machine for Microsoft".

Speaking to IGN, Joachim Kempin, who worked as the VP of Windows Sales at Microsoft between 1983 and 2002, said that "the main reason [Microsoft entered the console space] was to stop Sony.

"You see, Sony and Microsoft… they never had a very friendly relationship, okay? And this wasn't because Microsoft didn't want that.

"Sony was always very arm's length with Microsoft. Yeah, they bought Windows for their PCs but when you really take a hard look at that, they were never Microsoft’s friend. And Microsoft in a way wanted them to be a friend because they knew they had a lot of things we could have co-operated on because they are, in a way, an entertainment company, you know?

"I mean, at least a portion of Sony is and they had some really good things going there, but as soon as they came out with a video console, Microsoft just looked at that and said 'well, we have to beat them, so let's do our own.'"

According to IGN, Kempin claims that Microsoft felt threatened by Sony's presence in the living room, and concerned that its 'dominance of the traditional [PC] market' could be rattled by the ongoing convergence of computers and consoles."

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_entered_the_console_race_to_stop_sony.html

Before people start defending Microsoft heres a great blog, totally true and full of facts

http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS_1.html

Any negative response to this is pure fanboyism and blinded from reality

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

Zappykins said:
Figgycal said:

Unless Microsoft wanted to start producing movies, releasing music albums, making T.V. shows, and become a dedicated electronics manufacturer - it makes no sense. What would MS gain from buying Sony aside from a monopoly in the console market? They're already much more profitable than sony by just being a software company - why change your entire corporation and risk going into debt?

Plus Sony isn't a tiny small business. It is one of the largest corporations on Earth.

Sony actually has a current valuation of less than Nintendo's.  Even with all it's manufacturing and insurance companies it's rounding at the low 17 Billion, while Nintendo is 18 Billion.

Rather amzing isn't it?

Sony isn't going to accept 17 billion dollars dor their entire company. Sony owns a lot of assets and would make a hell of a lot more money selling them off individually.

Around the Network

The people on this site are as arrogant as Microsoft. Sony is a giant entity they have many products and numerous divisions. They still have a lot of assets also. To say Microsoft could buy them is not as easy as saying it. Microsoft is in trouble they are losing money everyday with windows 8 flopping on the sales front. There tablets , phones etc are also doing poorly. The xbox one is not selling like they thought also. This company has turned into Sony with it's arrogance. Microsoft is weathering multiple storms on many fronts. Without a successful windows operating system, that sells in the billions they are in trouble. Sure there flush with cash but they are in no position to take on more debt or even purchase something like sony. Pointless discussion !

S.T.A.G.E. said:
DonFerrari said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
DonFerrari said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
late_release said:
buy nintendo instead

Based on style of ownership Microsoft is no better than EA or Activision. Don't wish that upon the other console makers. 

Don't desire to others what you wouldn't desire for you? Sound Advice... keep MS (and other US companies) away from the Japanese devs/pubs/manufac.

True. People usually make statements like the OP When they feel threatened. Japan needs to be revitalized though.

Let's buy JRPGS and platformers on Dreamcast 2.

Japan needs a big natural (or american) disaster to awaken their fighting genes...

Well I hear Capcom is in financial trouble and that means the fighting game development might need to start soon. Namco also needs to start thinking bigger or else they'll drown like Capcom. They all need to stay clear of free to play as well this gen as that will only be profitable by only a few companies.  They need new projects that arent niche. They need more profit.  Actually you just gave me an idea. I will post it up tomorrow.

Glad to be usefull.

They need to fresh up their Ideas... see what genres benefit of being prettier and what will benefit to being faster to release with PS3 like visuals... With SF they are fast enough, Metal Gear is rentable, but I'm not sure about the rest.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Figgycal said:
Zappykins said:
Figgycal said:

Rather amzing isn't it?

Sony isn't going to accept 17 billion dollars dor their entire company. Sony owns a lot of assets and would make a hell of a lot more money selling them off individually.

It doesn't work like that.  Sony also has a big pile of debts. They are a publicly traded company.  Anyone could offer a decent enough amound and buy them from the shareholders.  Offer 21 Billion and you might just walk away with it.

Just like if you had an extra 350 Billion sitting around could probably buy Mirosoft.

Or enough in either case to have controlling interest.

Time Warner didn't really want to be bought by that 'tiny' internet company AOL.  Sears, after over 100 years as a huge company, didn't really want to be bought out by Kmart.

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
Figgycal said:
Zappykins said:
Figgycal said:

Rather amzing isn't it?

It doesn't work like that.  Sony also has a big pile of debts. They are a publicly traded company.  Anyone could offer a decent enough amound and buy them from the shareholders.  Offer 21 Billion and you might just walk away with it.

Just like if you had an extra 350 Billion sitting around could probably buy Mirosoft.

Time Warner didn't really want to be bought by that 'tiny' internet company AOL.  Sears, after over 100 years as a huge company, didn't really want to be bought out by Kmart.

Aggresive takeover in Japan is different than in USA.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Zappykins said:

Aggresive takeover in Japan is different than in USA.

There are approximately 1 billions of shares of Sony SNE stock on the New York Stock exchange.  One buys enough stock, one controls the company.

Currnetly Sony has the same value that it had in 1974.  Down 972% from it's high.

Hey, not trying to argue.  I agree Japan would try to stop a takeover, but sometimes things are out of one's control.

Tell me a funny joke!