By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Japan: Highest Debut Week Sales

tabsina said:
Seems they left out NES and SNES games

I first thought that too, but then i noticed the dates. I doubt many NES or SNES games were even released in 97.

Around the Network
johnsobas said:
No nothing on DS or Wii could do this simply because they will never be this front loaded. These are interesting numbers, but obviously total sales is the meaningful number, not first week sales.

Dragon Quest IX on the DS has a chance, does it not? It's the first numbered DQ titles since VIII, ya know, lol.

It's the last chance the DS is gonna have to top that list.

The Wii, and the PS3, I doubt, but who knows. I think when their big titles hit, they will both still be limited by userbase. 

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

kingofwale said:
is DQ Swords a spinoff of the normal DQ franchise?

Yeah, but DQ IX on the NDS is the next numbered game in the series, and make no mistake, its sales will be massive, lol.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

btw if u notice alot of games that have massive debuts dont necessarily means that they have the highest sales... pokemon red/blue/yellow aint even in the list! Legs do make a difference! a huge one to say the least

Joeron said:

Also no PS3 game will enter the top 20.

Yeah I agree, FFXIII doesn't stand a chance /sarcasm

Around the Network

Hell, Nintendogs isn't on that list, and we know what happened there. Same with Brain Age.

DQIX is the only game this gen that has a chance at cracking to top 3.

Also, to put things into perspective with SSBB's 800k debut.
Ocarina of Time had the past highest selling record on a Nintendo Home Console, and it debuted with 400k sales.

Edit: 400k sales. I was looking at Majora's Mask. 

The 1st week for FF7 is even more impressive if you remember there were "only" 5.2 millions PS:

Hardware:

ConsoleWeekWeeklyTotal
114165,228 (+81%) 5,227,885

http://vgchartz.com/japweekly.php?date=35463 

DonWii said:
Hell, Nintendogs isn't on that list, and we know what happened there. Same with Brain Age.

DQIX is the only game this gen that has a chance at cracking to top 3.

Also, to put things into perspective with SSBB's 800k debut.
Ocarina of Time had the past highest selling record on a Nintendo Home Console, and it debuted with 300k sales.

386k according to that list, but still, go SSBB!

Final Fantasy VIII

First week 2.5 million in Japan but lifetime only 3.64 million in Japan and none of those FF games have made over 10 million worldwide

Dragon Quest VIII

First Week 2.2 million in Japan but lifetime only 3.62 in Japan and no Dragon Quest even makes 5 million worldwide.

Are 18) New Super Mario Bros. and 113) Mario Party DS seriously the only Mario games on the list? So until NSMB, no Mario game sold 300K opening week since '97.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.