By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Would Nintendo be more profitable as a third party publisher?

Nintendo going 3rd party would be...

The end of all! 163 44.66%

A wash compared to where they are at now 71 19.45%

A smarter business move financially speaking 45 12.33%

The happiest day of Sony ... 86 23.56%

Total:365

Dude... Nintendo was ranked hire than both Activision OR EA in terms of pure revenue from software. They are a monolithic software giant. THey ranked only behind Sony computer entertainment and Microsoft Studios both whom have been cranking out AAA titles every year. phenominal games at that. 

Around the Network
Hibern81 said:
Zero999 said:

No. Next question.

Oh magic 8 ball! Will I ever....

Reply hazy try again.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

The only people who seem to want Ninty to go 3rd party are Sony/Microsoft fans who either: want to play Nintendo games on their chosen hardware (the Wii U's cheap enough, just buy one you tightwads!) or understand that going 3rd party would spell the end of Nintendo and want them to commit suicide.

I don't think anyone truly believes that it would be a good business decision, after all; if the 3rd parties made the most money, then nobody would make consoles at all.

Hibern81 said:
Final-Fan said:
Hibern81 said:

This is simply a question, and not an underlying desire whatsoever. I, for one, would hate to see nintendo leave the console business.  Tha said I've often wondered if the transition would actually be more of a profitable one. Seeing as I do not have the insight or business knowledge I leave it to minds greater than mine.

Your question is commonly posed by trolls and people with axes to grind, but I will presume you are honestly curious yet ignorant.  Joe the Bro has given a pretty good answer.  If you missed it, here's the short version:  Not only does Nintendo profit on its hardware, but it also gets significant cuts of the sales of other publishers' games on their consoles, while keeping the cut they would have had to give Sony or MS if Nintendo published on their consoles.  The increased audience isn't worth it.  

Seeing as how I am an avid Nintendo supporter I am definitely not trying to troll anyone. And how does having a thirst for knowledge make one ignorant? I asked the question as humbly as I could. 

There is nothing the matter with your humility.  I did not say you were ignorant as a way to insult you; I said you were ignorant as a description of your apparently near-total lack of knowledge and insight concerning the topic of this thread.  That is what ignorance is, and since I trust that that ignorance has been replaced with understanding, I am happy that that transition has happened. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Final-Fan said:
Hibern81 said:
Final-Fan said:
Hibern81 said:

This is simply a question, and not an underlying desire whatsoever. I, for one, would hate to see nintendo leave the console business.  Tha said I've often wondered if the transition would actually be more of a profitable one. Seeing as I do not have the insight or business knowledge I leave it to minds greater than mine.

Your question is commonly posed by trolls and people with axes to grind, but I will presume you are honestly curious yet ignorant.  Joe the Bro has given a pretty good answer.  If you missed it, here's the short version:  Not only does Nintendo profit on its hardware, but it also gets significant cuts of the sales of other publishers' games on their consoles, while keeping the cut they would have had to give Sony or MS if Nintendo published on their consoles.  The increased audience isn't worth it.  

Seeing as how I am an avid Nintendo supporter I am definitely not trying to troll anyone. And how does having a thirst for knowledge make one ignorant? I asked the question as humbly as I could. 

There is nothing the matter with your humility.  I did not say you were ignorant as a way to insult you; I said you were ignorant as a description of your apparently near-total lack of knowledge and insight concerning the topic of this thread.  That is what ignorance is, and since I trust that that ignorance has been replaced with understanding, I am happy that that transition has happened. 

Fair enough.

"Games are a trigger for adults to again become primitive, primal, as a way of thinking and remembering. An adult is a child who has more ethics and morals, that's all. When I am a child, creating, I am not creating a game. I am in the game. The game is not for children, it is for me. It is for an adult who still has a character of a child."

Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network
Purple said:
Jon-Erich said:
When people ask this question, I often think of Sega. If anyone remembers, Sega did not want to go third party. They had to. They had no choice. I think Isao Okawa understood the consequences of Sega going third party, even though he knew it would have to happen eventually. Nintendo is not in that situation and most likely won't be In that situation for a long time. Culturally, Sega was no more. Without their own hardware, they lost the competitive edge they once had. People left and all Sega is now is just a name. I think Satoru Iwata understands this better than just about any stock owner.

I don't get why this is so hard to understand. Going third party didn't kill Sega. Trying to compete in the hardware space is what killed Sega. The company has recovered wonderfully since going third party.

Have you played their games over the last decade? Most of them suck. Also, do you know why Sega is profitable again? It's because they were bought out by Sammy. That's the moment they returned to profitability. The problem is they weren't Sega anymore. They refuse to exploit most of their classic franchises except when they're re-releasing old games. They refuse to create anything refreshingly new. A lot of their talent has left including Yu Suzuki and both of Sonic the Hedgehog's creators. As much as I loved Sega as a kid and as much as I would hate to say it. Sega isn't Sega anymore. They're just another wannabe Western publisher who occassionally reminds people who they once were. They're just a name.

Again, I understand why Sega left the console market. They had to. It wasn't a choice anymore. With Nintendo, they don't have to leave. They still have a choice and unlike Sega, Nintendo knows how to moke money from their hardware.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

As much as people like to claim otherwise, this is the first time I've actually seen a thread that is seriously contemplating whether or not Nintendo going 3rd party would be a good idea...and it's from a Nintendo fan funnily enough.

Anyway, no. It wouldn't be a good idea for them at all.

Jon-Erich said:

Have you played their games over the last decade? Most of them suck. Also, do you know why Sega is profitable again? It's because they were bought out by Sammy. That's the moment they returned to profitability. The problem is they weren't Sega anymore. They refuse to exploit most of their classic franchises except when they're re-releasing old games. They refuse to create anything refreshingly new. A lot of their talent has left including Yu Suzuki and both of Sonic the Hedgehog's creators. As much as I loved Sega as a kid and as much as I would hate to say it. Sega isn't Sega anymore. They're just another wannabe Western publisher who occassionally reminds people who they once were. They're just a name.

Again, I understand why Sega left the console market. They had to. It wasn't a choice anymore. With Nintendo, they don't have to leave. They still have a choice and unlike Sega, Nintendo knows how to moke money from their hardware.

Okay, I hate to go off topic and make lists but this myth that Sega makes games that suck ever since they went third party is so far from the truth.

Jet Set Radio Future, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, Sonic Advance 3, Nights: Journey of Dreams, Sonic Colours/Generation/Secret Rings, Valkyrie Chronicles series, Yakuza series, Super Monkey Ball series, Rhythm Thief, Football Manager series, Hatsune Miku series, PSO 2, Total War series, Resonance of Fate, Mario and Sonic, Bayonetta, Madworld, Vanquish, Sonic and All Stars and Company of Heroes 2.

Oh and I'm very much looking forward to all the Persona goodness Sega has waiting for us in 2014.

Sega currently have more software devs with more ability than they ever had during their console making days. Sega has changed for the better.

On topic, Sega's financial performance shows that it is possible to be more profitable going software only. It in no way provides any evidence that going third party makes a company less profitable.

I use to want this, but no more. Nintendo is the last console maker that has free online and free BC. If they go down, the industry will get so greedy, it'll end up eating itself to death.

prayformojo said:
I use to want this, but no more. Nintendo is the last console maker that has free online and free BC. If they go down, the industry will get so greedy, it'll end up eating itself to death.

I like you.

Too bad Nintendo is getting on the DLC bandwagon. I much prefer expansions like New Super Luigi U.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero