By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Prediction: PS4 wont do as good in japan as some people are thinking

what do you think?

it will sell more than your prediction 59 38.82%

it will sell about the same 48 31.58%

it will sell lower 33 21.71%

See results 12 7.89%

Total:152

It will do 371k first week so I vote it will sell more than your prediction. :-p

Around the Network
nnodley said:
It will do 371k first week so I vote it will sell more than your prediction. :-p

i hope it does 370k, so i can give you the nice lovely "eat fucking crow" comment after

Metallicube said:

I always found it odd that PS3 always did so well over there, since it seems to appeal far more to a Western audience and holds few popular Japanese exclusives, while Wii (currently) and Wii U struggle, when Nintendo seems to put its focus far more on a Japanese audience, and holds the more popular Japanese franchises like Mario, Wii Sports, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, etc..

The Wii did outsell the PS3 by 3 million in Japan, but there is nothing released for it anymore.   The 3DS is outselling the Vita there 7 to 1 with those franchises too.  I think Hyrule Warriors over there is going to be freaking massive.   Every Dynasty Warriors game does very well there but mix in Zelda and it may end up selling 2.5 million in Japan alone.

Agree with u completely there is no way for Japanese ppl to spent so much money (don't forget video games r much more expensive in JPN than in US/EU) to buy a PS4 when there is nothing of interest to them, I can't think a game on PS4 that might interest them what CoD? BF4? GTA V? KILLZONE? lol nah...

Do u know why 3DS sales keep going stronger & stronger in JPN? JRPGs, Monster Hunter & Pokemon that's the reason also do u know what was the reason behind the boost of Vita sales the last months? it's a Monster Hunter clone game named "Toukiden" that's what Japanese want it seems not shooters.

I don't think it will either.

Those people who think that WiiU is going to be an easy pushover in Japan by a more expensive, very Western-centric console are in for a surprise I think. We'll see, though.

Around the Network

Support isnt there for the JP market, so youre gonna be right. Will have a great opening though basedon the hype followed by a "slow" opening year or so until support fully moves from PS360U to PS4.

I expect around 2 Million sold in 2014 over in JP.

Metallicube said:

I always found it odd that PS3 always did so well over there, since it seems to appeal far more to a Western audience and holds few popular Japanese exclusives, while Wii (currently) and Wii U struggle, when Nintendo seems to put its focus far more on a Japanese audience, and holds the more popular Japanese franchises like Mario, Wii Sports, Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter, etc..

It holds tonnes of popular Japanese exclusives.  It's just, none of them are really in the upper tiers of sales (aside from Final Fantasy & Resident Evil, which may as well be exclusive for Japanese purposes).  Stuff like Gundam/One Piece/Yakuza/Tales/Metal Gear came exclusively throughout the console's life; throw in Sony's own franchises which still hold a bit of clout (Gran Turismo/Hot Shots); ports of all the timed exclusives 360 got (Eternal Sonata/Star Ocean/Tales of Vesperia); the rise of western games in Japan, which again may as well have been exclusive considering the other platform they were releasing on (CoD/GTA/Battlefield); and all the stuff for the smaller otaku market (Neptunia/Atelier/Disgaea) and you've got enough stuff to get various different segments of the market interested.  

Or at least, enough to make it to 10m in Japan, which is a pretty normal figure to be reaching at the 7 year point in the console's life really.

PS3 first week: 80K
If the PS4 sells 300K it would be satisfactory, as for the PS3 I think sales will take time to grow, PS3 still has a good line up for 2014.

bananaking21 said:
nnodley said:

i hope it does 370k, so i can give you the nice lovely "eat fucking crow" comment after

As long as I can eat it while having a threesome with you and Wright! :-p

But honestly I do think it will be around 350k-400k.  Definitely don't expect 500k.

Who says it will do 500k? That's just ridiculous.
I agree with your numbers.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.