By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS4 has already outdone Wii's launch holiday by almost 500k (with 1.5 weeks to go)

Might do better right now, but next year it'll be far behind. And the year after, only further.

Also, didn't the PS4 launch (in America at least) 2 weeks before the Wii? But yeah, it's been a mega launch (pre adjustments of ofcourse).

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
Might do better right now, but next year it'll be far behind. And the year after, only further.

Also, didn't the PS4 launch (in America at least) 2 weeks before the Wii? But yeah, it's been a mega launch (pre adjustments of ofcourse).

PS4 launch numbers are much more impressive because it's without Japan.

Wii numbers included Japan.

When you'll add the first month in Japon to the first month in europe+US , the difference will be more than 1M.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

Roma said:
it makes no sense why so many are buying it. I mean all this for better grapix and no games in the top 10?

Speaking personally, there is no console brand I have more faith in than PlayStation. Sony supports their systems beginning, middle and especially at the end.  I get why people wait on consoles, can make a lot of sense.  For me, I bought a PS4 because the PS1, PS2, and PS3 rewarded me with great games for years and years. I kept playing the PS2 after PS3 was released and absolutely playing PS3 well into 2015 (Tales and Persona!).

If that changes with the PS4 then yeah, I will absolutely put off buying a PS5 for a while after it comes out.

They're just producing a lot. Props to Sony for being able to of course. Nintendo didn't expect such a success for Wii so their launch numbers are 'bad' because they produced too little. The Wii however was at almost 20 million at the end of 2007, that's just one year. No chance PS4 will continue to sell so high, would be unheard of. I don't think it'll be anywhere near that.

Turkish said:
PS4 is the next PS2. Its gonna dominate, world will color blue once more.

I swear some of you people worry me.

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
The PS4 will not have the same momentum as the Wii had, but it will have far better legs. I see no reason why it should not outsell the Wii in the longrun

I agree with this possibility, look at the PS3 for goodness sake.  BUT, I think the defining factor will be technology, and where we are at in 5 years (meaning when does the PS5 generation release).  I don't think the world wants another gen this long.  But rather, shorter generations with cheaper consoles entry prices (400 or less)

Turkish said:
PS4 is the next PS2. Its gonna dominate, world will color blue once more.
pezus said:
johnsobas said:
PS4 doesn't have the same mania that wii had. This will calm down soon, and it may even slow down a lot. PS4 is gonna have to prove itself with must have games before we see any kind of sustained huge sales. This will probably happen eventually and sales will pick up a lot late next year or the year after.

Based on what? It's selling out instantly everywhere AND has sold more than Wii did. Did you miss the mania around the launch in Europe? 

Sales don't need to pick up. They're already epically high.

I hope you guys get paid to be Sony's PR reps and aren't just doing this for free.

S.Peelman said:

They're just producing a lot. Props to Sony for being able to of course. Nintendo didn't expect such a success for Wii so their launch numbers are 'bad' because they produced too little. The Wii however was at almost 20 million at the end of 2007, that's just one year. No chance PS4 will continue to sell so high, would be unheard of. I don't think it'll be anywhere near that.

3,4M in 1month without Japan and you think 20M for 12month in Japan + 12 month in US+europe is impossible ?

PS4 will easily reach 7M by fiscal year end.

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

g911turbo said:
hunter_alien said:
The PS4 will not have the same momentum as the Wii had, but it will have far better legs. I see no reason why it should not outsell the Wii in the longrun

I agree with this possibility, look at the PS3 for goodness sake.  BUT, I think the defining factor will be technology, and where we are at in 5 years (meaning when does the PS5 generation release).  I don't think the world wants another gen this long.  But rather, shorter generations with cheaper consoles entry prices (400 or less)

lol

$599,99 ps3 vs 249,99 wii

lets wait and see

”The environment where PlayStation wins is best for this industry” (Jack Tretton, 2009)

If Xbox One becomes WiiU 2.0..., then i'm sure PS4 will beat every Wii record. People keep saying PS4 doesn't have games to keep selling like this....Well PS4 didn't have good launch games neither according to a lot of people and PS4 still sell a lot more than anybody else before.

I think, having Infamous SS, DriveClub, Watch Dogs and Destiny confirmed for 2014 will be more than enough. People should not forget there will be a lot of games for next christmas that sell every year a lot like FIFA, COD, etc...., and i'm sure more will be announced from now until E3 2014 for this year's end.

People don't need to compare PS4 with only Wii numbers, more likely with PS360 numbers. PS3 and Xbox 360 combined sold around 17 million aligned in their first year, and this was with Wii putting amazing numbers in its first year too, around 20 million.

I think Wii was a phenomenom that gathered more sells than normal, but if you get that 17 million from that PS360 numbers and sums the casuals that bought back then the Wii (i'm refering the ones who bought Wii that weren't Nintendo fans) and now will buy the PS4 (because is the more popular console now) I think it should be around 30-35 million potential consumers for this next year, at least. PS4 can have perfectly half of this numbers for all 2014, letting the rest for Xbox One and WiiU (Wii U was already around 5 million).

So I know my theory is hugely flawed, but in conclusion, what i'm saying is Xbox One will end 2014 with around 10-12 million sold and PS4 will end 2014 with around 15-20 million sold, and if Xbox One suffers after christmas like WiiU (for whatever reason), and sells less than 10 million at the end of 2014, then PS4 will ultimately outdone Wii numbers.