By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The origin of "casual/hardcore gamers" and other industry bullshit.

Tagged games:

Soundwave said:

Nintendo does market and design their hardware/software more for kids than the other game makers too ... it's not like they're all neutral and somehow Nintendo gets painted with a "kiddy" brush for no reason. That's like Prince being upset that people call him effeminiate ... well the voice and wearing purple velvet and a fluffy shirt kinda with women's mascara kinda gives off a certain image. 

Nintendo chooses to have the image they have. The majority of their games are so bright/cheery/colorful they make even Disney cartoons seem gritty by comparision in some cases. 

That is simply not true. Nintendo keeps saying that they want to cater to everyone, and yet people like you keep ignoring reality. Nintendo pushed to get Residant Evil on their console during the gamecube days. There is nothing inherently kiddie about Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Games like Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime aren't "making Disney Cartoons seem gritty". Cut it out so we can have a serious discussion.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

Nintendo does market and design their hardware/software more for kids than the other game makers too ... it's not like they're all neutral and somehow Nintendo gets painted with a "kiddy" brush for no reason. That's like Prince being upset that people call him effeminiate ... well the voice and wearing purple velvet and a fluffy shirt kinda with women's mascara kinda gives off a certain image. 

Nintendo chooses to have the image they have. The majority of their games are so bright/cheery/colorful they make even Disney cartoons seem gritty by comparision in some cases. 

Nintendo has always pushed for the family friendy look rather than the kids only view that some people like to attach to them. What I get from family friendly is that everybody can enjoy their gamer and they try to cater to all members if the family. Some people will only look at Mario and say Nintendo is casual/kids only game maker, but then people always like to ignore some of the other games.

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

And apparently the gaming industrie have been growing with these so called hardcores from PS1 100M to PS2 160M to PS3+X360 currently at 160M... while going casual Nintendo have hit just one time 100M but not the same level of SW attach ratio... so why would pubs give more attention to "hardcores"??

I'm so tired of the victimism (from feminists and some winny gammers)... they try to invert logic, like its devs fault for not catering for them and not them investing in devs that cater... if devs get their money from their supporters for those kind of games why would they allienate the granted buyers to try and cater to people that don't know why they buy and what to buy?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

menx64 said:
Soundwave said:

Nintendo has always pushed for the family friendy look rather than the kids only view that some people like to attach to them. What I get from family friendly is that everybody can enjoy their gamer and they try to cater to all members if the family. Some people will only look at Mario and say Nintendo is casual/kids only game maker, but then people always like to ignore some of the other games.

Maybe you should look at the distribution of genres and kind of games Nintendo PUBLISH to see they are family oriented but usually closer to the child friendly.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

You suggest that this comes from marketing, though, when this is an idea very much propagated by creators. Marketing's tendency to enter a circle-jerk is certainly part of the blame here, but not nearly all of it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I seem to have a different definition of hardcore and casuals. It's all about how much they value gaming. Nothing to do with maturity.

On mobile so I won't get deep, but also I do have a problem with some of the things you're saying. You really seem to just be defending Nintendo. Why didn't you bring up kinect, little big planet, tearaway, knack, the curse of the brotherhood, or any other of the less mature games made by Sony and Microsoft? Nintendo certainly has the "kiddie" image, but they certainly aren't the only ones supporting this end of the market.

The entire world is of made up of formats aimed at one demographic or another. If I want to watch basketball, I'll turn to a sports channel. Is it fair that more sports ends up on ESPN than on Lifetime? I don't know but it makes sense to me. Sports channels go out and make deals to get sports on their network. They work to present their product in such a way that the people who manage those sports believe that they are maximizing their potential for profit and growth.

Is it fair that Nintendo consoles don't get all the games other consoles get? Does Nintendo work as hard as Sony or Microsoft in securing third-party games? Do they work as hard at creating a platform which attracts developers and publishers? If the answer is no, then why should they get the same level of support?

Nintendo isn't being bullied. They aren't the center of some great conspiracy. They are a business which has chosen a direction, in a market with other businesses who have done the same. I don't care how people spin it, Nintendo is responsible for themselves. Third parties do NOT have to bend over backwards for them. This whole thing about Nintendo being unfairly picked on is getting really old.

pokoko said:
The entire world is of made up of formats aimed at one demographic or another. If I want to watch basketball, I'll turn to a sports channel. Is it fair that more sports ends up on ESPN than on Lifetime? I don't know but it makes sense to me. Sports channels go out and make deals to get sports on their network. They work to present their product in such a way that the people who manage those sports believe that they are maximizing their potential for profit and growth.

Is it fair that Nintendo consoles don't get all the games other consoles get? Does Nintendo work as hard as Sony or Microsoft in securing third-party games? Do they work as hard at creating a platform which attracts developers and publishers? If the answer is no, then why should they get the same level of support?

Nintendo isn't being bullied. They aren't the center of some great conspiracy. They are a business which has chosen a direction, in a market with other businesses who have done the same. I don't care how people spin it, Nintendo is responsible for themselves. Third parties do NOT have to bend over backwards for them. This whole thing about Nintendo being unfairly picked on is getting really old.

You're reducing his argument to its political applications while ignoring the large-scale problems underscoring it.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

tagging for later

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Nintendo does tend to go after the younger audience. Just a fact. They also go after the core audience as well.

The difference is just percentages. If Sony and Microsoft are 80/20 core/casual; then Nintendo are 60/40. Or 70/30. But you get the point.

And also, just because something is colorful with great art style and no blood does NOT mean that it is a casual game. So while Mario 3D World looks "casual" to the mainstream, it's a core game. Hotline Miami meanwhile is a casual pick up/play game. You get my point.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros