By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The origin of "casual/hardcore gamers" and other industry bullshit.

Tagged games:

DonFerrari said:
And apparently the gaming industrie have been growing with these so called hardcores from PS1 100M to PS2 160M to PS3+X360 currently at 160M... while going casual Nintendo have hit just one time 100M but not the same level of SW attach ratio... so why would pubs give more attention to "hardcores"??

I'm so tired of the victimism (from feminists and some winny gammers)... they try to invert logic, like its devs fault for not catering for them and not them investing in devs that cater... if devs get their money from their supporters for those kind of games why would they allienate the granted buyers to try and cater to people that don't know why they buy and what to buy?

Did you know that most console owners aren't hardcore gamers either? The average amount of games per console per year is fairly low.

Around the Network
bucky1965 said:
DonFerrari said:
And apparently the gaming industrie have been growing with these so called hardcores from PS1 100M to PS2 160M to PS3+X360 currently at 160M... while going casual Nintendo have hit just one time 100M but not the same level of SW attach ratio... so why would pubs give more attention to "hardcores"??

I'm so tired of the victimism (from feminists and some winny gammers)... they try to invert logic, like its devs fault for not catering for them and not them investing in devs that cater... if devs get their money from their supporters for those kind of games why would they allienate the granted buyers to try and cater to people that don't know why they buy and what to buy?

Did you know that most console owners aren't hardcore gamers either? The average amount of games per console per year is fairly low.

Yes I know.. and despise that there are some hardcore onwers with more than 100 games per platform... and that is the guy the industry try to keep inside, not the one that will buy 1 SW.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

KungKras said:
Ajax said:
How do you call those people that talk about games, buy games but almost dont play games.
Never beat games, maybe play them for a couple hours at best?
A mate of mine is like that.
He buys alot. Special editions too. But he almost doesnt play.

The industry loves people like him. So they'd probably call him something like 'über hardcore' or 'gaming connesseur' :D

Buh-zing!

The point is the money is in the casual market. Prime example, 3ds, its target market is everyone. Vita is marketed towards hardcore gamers. Which one sells more? Hmm. (the rise of mobile too.) The hardcore gamer individually spends more. But as a group, casual gamers put more money into the industry. So target marketing one group has its pros and cons.

bucky1965 said:

The point is the money is in the casual market. Prime example, 3ds, its target market is everyone. Vita is marketed towards hardcore gamers. Which one sells more? Hmm. (the rise of mobile too.) The hardcore gamer individually spends more. But as a group, casual gamers put more money into the industry. So target marketing one group has its pros and cons.

And that is assuming that all casual demographic is the same ¬¬"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Feminists and casual gamers... who knew they had so much in common? LMAO.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

DonFerrari said:
bucky1965 said:

And that is assuming that all casual demographic is the same ¬¬"

The casual demographic is a gray area. The definition of a casual gamer boils down to personal opinion. 

Spot on. Game publishers are limiting their own market by only focussing on a profitable core.

ps3-sales! said:
Nintendo does tend to go after the younger audience. Just a fact. They also go after the core audience as well.

The difference is just percentages. If Sony and Microsoft are 80/20 core/casual; then Nintendo are 60/40. Or 70/30. But you get the point.

And also, just because something is colorful with great art style and no blood does NOT mean that it is a casual game. So while Mario 3D World looks "casual" to the mainstream, it's a core game. Hotline Miami meanwhile is a casual pick up/play game. You get my point.

I'm responding for two reasons; number 1 you did a great job breaking down the issue into an easily understandable format, good job. Number 2, I just bought hotline Miami and its great :D.

DonFerrari said:

Dont't try to compare feminists to little whinny gamers because feminists actually had some cases to be made for being the victims of discrimnation like not being able to vote, getting paid the same for the same work as men, not being able to get a divorce, etc.