By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Vita to be the best-selling handheld in Japan in 2014 ?

What do you think ?

I couldn't agree more 54 7.75%

It'll do good but won't be best-selling 151 21.66%

no just no. 262 37.59%

Trololol, Nintendomination !! 230 33.00%

Total:697

This could happen. When you think about it, all f the big hitters have already come out for 3ds,(animal crossing, 3d/2d mario, mario kart, zelda, pokemon etc). Sure the 3ds will get more zelda and pokemon games but they probably won't cause massive hardware sales because most of the fanbases have already gotten a 3ds for those games. I can see the 3ds lineup for the rest of it's lifetime being similar to the ds library.

Around the Network

That's just comical.

Never PS2 nor PSP did one year at 4 millions even in their best years, and now the Vita is going to do it, eventhough it's pretty much dead in Japan?

The Vita is pulling awful numbers for christmas, eventhough it had new models, it had god eater 2 and it had price cut.

Vita is dead and Wii U will probably sell better than it in 2014. Thinking it will beat 3DS is just pure denial or lack of knowledge.

Lawlight said:
tbone51 said:

Im nitpicking? I just said your comment was wrong. If 3DS sales are low than so are WiiU's/Vita's/X1/X360/PS3/PS4 lmao. Your hate towards nintendo shows no stop

If you think 10mil+ in NoA and 10mil+ in Europe are low in less than 3 years your obviously trolling or just delusional

The 3DS can only dream of reaching PS3/360 and later PS4 numbers. Btw, is our Pokemon bet still ongoing or you capitulated already?

im not the guy you betting lol, and tht bet was 12mil lifetime which pokemon is way over 8mil by Dec 22nd. Your going to lose that bet with him. Also 3DS dream of reachng 80mil+??? You keep dreaming that lol

Playstationfan12 said:
This could happen. When you think about it, all f the big hitters have already come out for 3ds,(animal crossing, 3d/2d mario, mario kart, zelda, pokemon etc). Sure the 3ds will get more zelda and pokemon games but they probably won't cause massive hardware sales because most of the fanbases have already gotten a 3ds for those games. I can see the 3ds lineup for the rest of it's lifetime being similar to the ds library.

even though your right (massive hitters came out), there are still tons of games to keep 3DS afloat for another 3-4 years. Its nt going to sell less than 3mil in 2014. 3DS still sells great even without the MH4/PokemonXY/AC massive boost. Vita this year had lots of major factors in sales this year...

1.Major Price Drop with huge IP releases in March to coincide with it! (SS/PS/etc)

2. Huge Sellers (not MH/DQ but still big games)

3. Cheaper Model Release (Vita 2000)

4. Vita TV (which they combine for total sales for vita)

5. Vita wont have all these except maybe a price drop (a small one) in 2014

Vita had its huge year already and couldn't manage 1.5mil. Its not passing 3mil in fact 2.5mil is a stretch! (even with great games such as GR2)

3DS brought out software this year, it hasn't gotten a price cut since its first year (2011) and it doesn't have the 2DS release yet! 3DS wont go down by 50% Year to Year. the lowest it will have is 3mil.

Vita has no chance to beat 3DS in the next 2 years unless nintendo just kills it off (which wont happen)

3DS has games next year. Lots of big games. SSB/Kirby/DQ (terry land 2)/CX/Fossil Fighters/PersonaQ/Mario Party/etc.

Also PDZ+LoZ will carry momentum into 2014 as PDZ+LoZ released right before 2014. vita has GE2 which doesn't even sell 15k a weekduring hoolidays so there is no momentum as shown for Vita (well FFX can so theres tht)

Aielyn said:

I do think Vita will do better in 2014 than 2013. But I see nothing releasing for the system that would come even close to driving sales of the system as high as 4 million units. And the 3DS isn't anywhere near saturation - the Gameboy and the DS each sold around 33 million in Japan, and the PSP sold about 20 million. If 3DS sales are down YOY, it's because, of the top seven 3DS titles in Japan, five were released in 2011 or 2012, and 15 out of the top 20 were released in 2011 or 2012. Meanwhile, we don't know all that much about the 3DS's 2014 lineup, so predicting its performance is difficult... but I don't see it dropping below about 3.5 million, a number that I can't see PSV achieving, given the aforementioned comments on its known lineup.

So unless there's some major unannounced PSV titles that will sell hugely in Japan, I just don't see it being the best-selling handheld for 2014.

I wasn't following Console sales before, but how did PSP manage to sell those 20M ? and why can't vita do samen when 3DS is going on the same pace as DS ?

Around the Network

It should do amazing in Japan, but it's hard to say if it will beat 3DS overall. It should be very close though

Xbox One, PS4 and Switch (+ Many Retro Consoles)

'When the people are being beaten with a stick, they are not much happier if it is called the people's stick'- Mikhail Bakunin

Prediction: Switch will sell better than Wii U Lifetime Sales by Jan 1st 2018

SnowPrince said:
Aielyn said:

I do think Vita will do better in 2014 than 2013. But I see nothing releasing for the system that would come even close to driving sales of the system as high as 4 million units. And the 3DS isn't anywhere near saturation - the Gameboy and the DS each sold around 33 million in Japan, and the PSP sold about 20 million. If 3DS sales are down YOY, it's because, of the top seven 3DS titles in Japan, five were released in 2011 or 2012, and 15 out of the top 20 were released in 2011 or 2012. Meanwhile, we don't know all that much about the 3DS's 2014 lineup, so predicting its performance is difficult... but I don't see it dropping below about 3.5 million, a number that I can't see PSV achieving, given the aforementioned comments on its known lineup.

So unless there's some major unannounced PSV titles that will sell hugely in Japan, I just don't see it being the best-selling handheld for 2014.

I wasn't following Console sales before, but how did PSP manage to sell those 20M ? and why can't vita do samen when 3DS is going on the same pace as DS ?

smartphones killed VITA. PSP launched at a time when it wa a pretty handy portable media player compared to anything else outthere. Now smartphones do all that.

3DS is selling wayy above what it could be priced at due to the demand. If vita even starts to catch up (unlikely), you'll see big price cuts for 3DS and it will continue to dominate. 3DS manufacturing cost is 100, Vita is 160. Vita is far more competitively priced and yet it still sells poorly.

JohnMeyers said:
3DS is selling wayy above what it could be priced at due to the demand. If vita even starts to catch up (unlikely), you'll see big price cuts for 3DS and it will continue to dominate. 3DS manufacturing cost is 100, Vita is 160. Vita is far more competitively priced and yet it still sells poorly.

source? Not saying i dont believe you, its just interesting! I didn't kno it cost that much for 3DS to make!

SnowPrince said:
Aielyn said:

In its strongest year, the PSP sold 3.8 million units in Japan. It has been able to sell nearly 20 million because it's been out for 10 years - It's easy to see that the average is less than 2 million a year. And the PSP sold a lot better in its first three years than the PS Vita has - by the end of 2006, the PSP had sold 4.5 million units in Japan. You're suggesting that the PS Vita will sell as well in 2014 as the PSP was able to sell in its first three years combined, more than the PSP was able to sell in any one year in Japan, and almost twice as many units as the system was able to sell worldwide this year, based on a set of franchises that haven't really sold very well and Monster Hunter... which would be a great system-seller, if it wasn't a game already out on four other platforms while the new mainline MH titles are on 3DS.