By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Wii U outsell GameCube?

Will Wii U outsell GameCube?

yes 580 63.25%

no 261 28.46%

same 75 8.18%

Total:916

I have no doubt they will.
Remember, the gamecube sold poorly because the PS2 launched first as a cheap DVD player. It had the hardcore and non gamers rushing to buy it. The Cube had no chance.

This time around, the PS4 offers no new features like the PS1 CD, PS2 DVD, and PS3 BR. The Xbox One is fairly pricey, and has lost some of the hardcore gamers respect. The Wii U this time has its name to bring in some of the Wii casual users while promising games for the Nintendo die hards, with 3rd parties making the transition for some easier. It's by far the cheapest console too, so that plays in.

TLDR; It won't outsell its competitors, but it has a far better chance at selling better than the gamecube.

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

Around the Network

To this day, most people I run into still don't know what a "Wii U" is. This is understandable considering it still has a pathetic line-up of games. The fact that it has sold this much so far is a great sign.

The GC games were all experimental odd-balls. Some were good but many like Sunshine & Double Dash fell flat IMO. I see the Wii U having much better 1st party games. I see no reason why it shouldn't outsell the GC.

Captain_Tom said:
curl-6 said:
Captain_Tom said:
curl-6 said:
Captain_Tom said:

1) August was only 4 months ago.  I doubt they are swimming in cash.  At the very least they aren't profiting enough to lower the price any time soon (WHich was obviously my point).

2) Yep on the Wii.  You gonna tell me the Wii U will sell 100m too?  Oh wait no the Gamecube is killing it...

3) It may.  It could.  It might.  The PS4 may secretly double as a jetpack!   But it probably doesn't.  What we KNOW is that nothing so far has worked.  

1) But the price will drop. It will get there, and when it does it will enter the buying range of a whole new audience.

2) Still significant franchise growth that will not just vanish; we're seeing this with Kart 7 on 3DS; DS growth has it already outselling the GBA version on less than half the userbase.

3) Almost nothing has actually been tried so far. The console is still too expensive, it still lacks the real system sellers, Kart and Smash. Wii U's biggest guns haven't been fired yet, its silly to judge its future performance on the vastly different circumstances of the present.

1) Yes it will drop.  BUT SO WILL PS360!!!  Why do you keep ignoring that?!

2) Outselling GBA version?!  That's because that vwrsion was terrible!

3) Price cuts haven't helped, new games haven't helped, and Mario hasn't helped.  At the end of the day the only thing that will make a difference is a total relaunch with SSB, no tablet, and a sub $200 price point.  But I don't see that happening...

1) Because PS3/360 have been replaced and will dwindle from here on, and don't offer the same games as Wii U anyway.

2) Still outselling it.

3) The price cut still left it too expensive, none of the new games were powerhouses like Smash/Kart, and Mario's been oversaturated over the last two years.

LOL ok I will just end this back and forth with this:

You think the Wii U will make a comback and PS360 will disapear overnight...Because.  I know there is nothing that suggests your claim hopes are likely.  Do I think SSB will make a bigger difference than Mario?  Duh!  But it won't be that much.  

At this point Nintendo fanboys sound like broken records saying "Wait till ______!"  We have waited, and nothing changed.  I guess you guys will just have to keep on waitin'...

In 2012, 12.6 million PS3 were sold, but in 2013 only 8.6 million have been sold.

In 2012, 11.1 million XBox 360 were sold, but in 2013 only 5.7 millions have been sold.

PS3 and XBox 360 won't disapear overnight, but I do wonder if they will be still manufacturing them a couple of years from now.

The fact that the GC in 2 years time had a price drop of 50% was bad news bears and other than MP2: Echoes, Twilight Princess and Pikmin 2 the GC almost exhausted itself by the end of 2003.

I can't predict the future but if Nintendo can keep a consistent stream of new games for the next couple years and the price of the console remains relatively stable then they will pass the GC with ease.

magoghm said:
Captain_Tom said:
curl-6 said:
Captain_Tom said:
curl-6 said:
Captain_Tom said:

1) August was only 4 months ago.  I doubt they are swimming in cash.  At the very least they aren't profiting enough to lower the price any time soon (WHich was obviously my point).

2) Yep on the Wii.  You gonna tell me the Wii U will sell 100m too?  Oh wait no the Gamecube is killing it...

3) It may.  It could.  It might.  The PS4 may secretly double as a jetpack!   But it probably doesn't.  What we KNOW is that nothing so far has worked.  

1) But the price will drop. It will get there, and when it does it will enter the buying range of a whole new audience.

2) Still significant franchise growth that will not just vanish; we're seeing this with Kart 7 on 3DS; DS growth has it already outselling the GBA version on less than half the userbase.

3) Almost nothing has actually been tried so far. The console is still too expensive, it still lacks the real system sellers, Kart and Smash. Wii U's biggest guns haven't been fired yet, its silly to judge its future performance on the vastly different circumstances of the present.

3) Price cuts haven't helped, new games haven't helped, and Mario hasn't helped.  At the end of the day the only thing that will make a difference is a total relaunch with SSB, no tablet, and a sub $200 price point.  But I don't see that happening...

1) Because PS3/360 have been replaced and will dwindle from here on, and don't offer the same games as Wii U anyway.

2) Still outselling it.

3) The price cut still left it too expensive, none of the new games were powerhouses like Smash/Kart, and Mario's been oversaturated over the last two years.

You think the Wii U will make a comback and PS360 will disapear overnight...Because.  I know there is nothing that suggests your claim hopes are likely.  Do I think SSB will make a bigger difference than Mario?  Duh!  But it won't be that much.  

At this point Nintendo fanboys sound like broken records saying "Wait till ______!"  We have waited, and nothing changed.  I guess you guys will just have to keep on waitin'...

In 2012, 12.6 million PS3 were sold, but in 2013 only 8.6 million have been sold.

In 2012, 11.1 million XBox 360 were sold, but in 2013 only 5.7 millions have been sold.

PS3 and XBox 360 won't disapear overnight, but I do wonder if they will be still manufacturing them a couple of years from now.

Yeah idk.  I would guess another 10-15m PS3's and another 5-10m 360's.  The fact is the PS3 has and will continue to have a better library of games with equal graphics to the Wii U while costing much less.

Around the Network
Captain_Tom said:
STRYKIE said:
Captain_Tom said:
curl-6 said:
Captain_Tom said:

3D Land has also outsold every mainline GBA Mario game, are they terrible too?

Uh yeah!  The GBA really wasn't capable of rendering any worthy game besides Pokemon.  It wasn't until the DS that they could finally render N64 quality...

Damian.W said:
Remember, the gamecube sold poorly because the PS2 launched first as a cheap DVD player. It had the hardcore and non gamers rushing to buy it. The Cube had no chance.

This time around, the PS4 offers no new features like the PS1 CD, PS2 DVD, and PS3 BR. The Xbox One is fairly pricey, and has lost some of the hardcore gamers respect. The Wii U this time has its name to bring in some of the Wii casual users while promising games for the Nintendo die hards, with 3rd parties making the transition for some easier. It's by far the cheapest console too, so that plays in.

TLDR; It won't outsell its competitors, but it has a far better chance at selling better than the gamecube.

And yet the PS4 is off to a better start than all of them? Also, please don't tell me you believe that the PS1 being able to play audio CDs was a selling point behind the system...

superhippy420 said:
Alot of people are forgetting that the Gamecube in the first year had Smash Bros,Luigis Mansion,Animal Crossing,Metroid Prime,Pikmin,Monkey Ball,Mario Party, Super Mario Sunshine,Waverace,Eternal Darkness, Wind Waker, and a bunch of solid 3rd party games and it never really took off. The Wii U's launch was really great, but anyone who didnt have one had zero reason to buy one until August when Pikmin came out, and thats one of the most Niche things Nintendo has. All Nintendo has released is 2 bundles, Wind Waker, and SM3DW and the sales are really close to the Gamecubes already. Mario Kart Wii sold 33 million copies and it would buck every historical trend ever if a direct sequel to a game that popular didnt atleast sell half as many copies. The Wii U is going to be the hot console for atleast 9 months next year.

The gamecubes first year game sales are much better than the Wii U's will be. The second and third year sales will pretty much be the same as well. This needs to change A.S.A.P.

STRYKIE said:
Damian.W said:

And yet the PS4 is off to a better start than all of them? Also, please don't tell me you believe that the PS1 being able to play audio CDs was a selling point behind the system...

First off, the CD feature was HUGE for the PS1. Not becuse of the audio, but because its competitors were still using Catridges. Price difference played a factor over which one was chosen. Also, the PS4 is starting off well because of the hype around it, just like the Wii U when it was selling out across the US in its first few months.

Besides, I don't even know why you brought the status of the PS4 here. I'm not critisizing it or saying it will sell badly. I'm saying that the Wii U will sell better than the GameCube because the overall interest in PS4 is small in comparison to the ps2, along with the Interest in the X1 being smaller than the 360.  

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW

Captain_Tom said:
magoghm said:
Captain_Tom said:
curl-6 said:
Captain_Tom said:
curl-6 said:
Captain_Tom said:

2) Still outselling it.

Yeah idk.  I would guess another 10-15m PS3's and another 5-10m 360's.  The fact is the PS3 has and will continue to have a better library of games with equal graphics to the Wii U while costing much less.

10-15m more PS3's and 5-10m more 360's sounds about right.

The PS3 does have a much larger library than the Wii U, but I own a PS3 and a Wii U and I'd say that the Wii U has better graphics than a PS3.