By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will Wii U outsell GameCube?

Will Wii U outsell GameCube?

yes 580 63.25%

no 261 28.46%

same 75 8.18%

Total:916
Rustynail said:
binary solo said:
Back in December 2013 I'm pretty sure I was in the yes camp, because I could not coceive of a reality where Wii U sells less than 20 million in the generation immediately following Wii. I knew there was no chance of it coming close to Wii, but there is a huge gap between 20 million and 100 million and I was sure Wii U would fit in there somewhere.

It shows that Nintendo really badly failed with Wii U. It's definitely the biggest ever 1 generation collapse of a console brand at least since Nintendo released its first home console.

It didn't seem likely, there were several reasons for that not happening, a lot more reasons to not buy it compared with Gamecube. Pachter was right all the way. Back in that time, he said the Wii U wouldn't sell anymore than 30 million and I agreed with him. I know that the Wii sold 100 million consoles, but the Wii U seems to be following a pattern and every Nintendo console seems to be selling at a decrease and it will likely be their last stationary console, if not the NX is, although it's likely not even a next gen stationary console and will have very low third party support outside of Japan, unless the new CEO will do things differently than Iwata but the NX was Iwata's idea and is probably just another gimmick that will sell like the Wii U. Nintendo are known for not catering to the masses or having hardware that is competitive, it seems unlikely that the NX sell a lot better than the Gamecube or N64, and I could predict a flop because their marketing so far has been terrible, there are only 9 months till its release yet we still know nothing about it and they won't show it at E3 unlike the Wii which we knew a lot about already 1½ before its release.

Same like Wii U, and we already know Wii U failed very bad. Also XB1 was reviled just 6 months before launch.

You cant relly look at chart (and totally ignoring Wii in matter of fact) and say NX will sell same like Wii U or less, if we know what are reasons why Wii U failed so bad (Wii U was bloody mess) and we still don't know anything for sure. Wii U didnt failed because every Nintendo console expect Wii sold less, it's because Nintendo made to many mistakes with it (terrible, weak and misunderstood marketing, high price, weak launch and 1st year lineup, software drought..), there is reason why Wii U is their worst selling console ever, becuse they made to many mistakes with it. Saying that, I am sure just if Nintendo not repet some mistakes they done with Wii U, NX will sell much better than Wii U, and after Wii U they will definatly try much harder to make product that is far more appeling.

Around the Network
Rustynail said:

Lol at the 70% saying Wii U will outsell the Gamecube. It will never outsell the Gamecube and I knew it from the beginning. Wii U is most likely the worst console ever made, it caters to a 20 million install base at the most, it's overpriced, a lot more expensive than the Gamecube was, It's selling at a loss unlike the Gamecube, it has the worst third party support ever, it has no killer game, weak hardware specs and an oversized, overpriced and useless gamepad. Give me one good reason to buy and I'll buy it, but there no reasons.

Wii U is good console with solid number of great games, but Nintendo made too many mistakes with it (starting with weak, bad and misunderstood marketing..).

One reason!? How about great Nintendo games were some of them are best in whole franchises!?

Miyamotoo said:
Rustynail said:

It didn't seem likely, there were several reasons for that not happening, a lot more reasons to not buy it compared with Gamecube. Pachter was right all the way. Back in that time, he said the Wii U wouldn't sell anymore than 30 million and I agreed with him. I know that the Wii sold 100 million consoles, but the Wii U seems to be following a pattern and every Nintendo console seems to be selling at a decrease and it will likely be their last stationary console, if not the NX is, although it's likely not even a next gen stationary console and will have very low third party support outside of Japan, unless the new CEO will do things differently than Iwata but the NX was Iwata's idea and is probably just another gimmick that will sell like the Wii U. Nintendo are known for not catering to the masses or having hardware that is competitive, it seems unlikely that the NX sell a lot better than the Gamecube or N64, and I could predict a flop because their marketing so far has been terrible, there are only 9 months till its release yet we still know nothing about it and they won't show it at E3 unlike the Wii which we knew a lot about already 1½ before its release.

Same like Wii U, and we already know Wii U failed very bad. Also XB1 was reviled just 6 months before launch.

You cant relly look at chart (and totally ignoring Wii in matter of fact) and say NX will sell same like Wii U or less, if we know what are reasons why Wii U failed so bad (Wii U was bloody mess) and we still don't know anything for sure. Wii U didnt failed because every Nintendo console expect Wii sold less, it's because Nintendo made to many mistakes with it (terrible, weak and misunderstood marketing, high price, weak launch and 1st year lineup, software drought..). I am sure just if Nintendo not repet some mistakes they done with Wii U, NX will sell much better than Wii U.

Yes if they change strategy, then sure but at this point so far I can't see any signs. We don't know anything about it. They haven't done anything to promote it so far. At least they could have had an E3 press conference where they present and promote it, but even that's not happening, which might contribute as a huge mistake for them.

Necro bump much?
64% (or more) thought the Wii U would do over 25m.

People where expecting Zelda U, to be released in 2013 as well....